Let me ask something....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Would you have a problem with used gun (every gun) background checks if anyone could call in a 4473 and they (the forms) were treated like they are now,...as in not kept, collected, or cataloged? I don't think I would. I've had unsavory people contact me about a gun I have for sale, that I do my own instant refusal on....

I'm not in favor of any gun control, but I hear the drums beating..........

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Yes I would object because if you give them an inch they take a mile.

Not to mention we are supposed to be free.

And that information is stored in a way. People are contacted by law enforcement all the time asking if they ever lost or sold xxxgunxxx and would they like it back because we found it. There are members here who have had it happen to them.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yes I would object because if you give them an inch they take a mile.

This is where it ends with me, as well. No compromise will EVER be enough; it only serves to galvanize them to want more.

We all know what they ultimately want- and there's nothing "sensible" or "common sense" about it.

Muddy45

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Covington
    Is it really that hard to trust your own judgment? Do you need someone else to make decisions for you? It is your stuff, if you don't like somebody or don't feel good about selling it to someone then don't. Leave the government out of it. If I was selling a firearm and I didn't have a good vibe about the deal it wouldn't matter if you could pass a 4473, have super secret clearance, or been cleared by the pope, I'm not going though with the transaction.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Absolutely not. I wouldn't mind being able to call one in as an option though. I've had a couple of sales that I didn't go through with because I wasn't sure about the buyer. Could have helped me make a little extra money if I could call one in.

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    No. Regardless of who it is that calls in the 4473 it is still a de facto registration.

Not to mention the logistical nightmare it would cause to the call lines.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    absolutely not. im not giving them an inch.

"drones will never be used over american skies... against americans."

"if you like your insurance, you can keep it. nothing will change for you"

(per your comment) "no one will catalog or keep records of the owners or buyers, itll just be a resource for public safety"

no thanks.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Is it really that hard to trust your own judgment? Do you need someone else to make decisions for you? It is your stuff, if you don't like somebody or don't feel good about selling it to someone then don't. Leave the government out of it. If I was selling a firearm and I didn't have a good vibe about the deal it wouldn't matter if you could pass a 4473, have super secret clearance, or been cleared by the pope, I'm not going though with the transaction.

This, + like 10. There are places like Gunbroker if you want the 4473.

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    I think the NICS resource should be available to everyone, not just FFLs, but most definitly not required. If politicians really wanted to keep guns from falling in to the wrong hands through private sales then a public NICS (or an equivalent) would have been at least proposed. In truth, most politicians and some of our increasingly ignorant population consider every "civilian" hand the wrong hands.

Mandatory background checks = gun registration = tyranny

If we could get rid of all the ignorant MF's in this county we wouldn't have to worry about the clowns they vote in to office with their schemes to pacify the sheeple.

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    Would you mind sharing some examples of what makes you feel someone is shady, or the deal is unsavory? Honest question. Just wondering what you or others consider a deal breaker. I mean other than the obvious Orange Coverall wearing hi-point salesman, wearing a dept of corrections ankle bracelet, and willing to toss in a crack rock to sweeten the deal at midnight at the local gas station. What are some traits that sound the 'do not sell or buy' from this individual bell.

No, I do not want to have to call in a background check to sell or give a shotgun / firearm to my son or grandson. Or anyone else for that matter. There is already too much government intrusion in our lives.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Would you mind sharing some examples of what makes you feel someone is shady, or the deal is unsavory? Honest question. Just wondering what you or others consider a deal breaker. I mean other than the obvious Orange Coverall wearing hi-point salesman, wearing a dept of corrections ankle bracelet, and willing to toss in a crack rock to sweeten the deal at midnight at the local gas station. What are some traits that sound the 'do not sell or buy' from this individual bell.

No, I do not want to have to call in a background check to sell or give a shotgun / firearm to my son or grandson. Or anyone else for that matter. There is already too much government intrusion in our lives.

generally, I trust my instinct. If it seems awkward or "just not right", I tell them I changed my mind. It has happened for a myriad of reasons including: asking me to meet in a nonpublic area at near midnight, refusing to trade serial numbers before meeting up, or asking if id be traveling alone for a ftf trade. (with 1200.00 in cash on me)

Muddy45

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Covington

If they aren't happy or excited in a positive way is a flag. I've talked to a few owners of indoor ranges that won't rent guns to people unless they walk in the door smiling. I asked why and they said "The ones that smile aren't going to shoot themselves in the range."

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    If they aren't happy or excited in a positive way is a flag. I've talked to a few owners of indoor ranges that won't rent guns to people unless they walk in the door smiling. I asked why and they said "The ones that smile aren't going to shoot themselves in the range."
    Wow...I never even thought about that....The possibility of someone who is suicidal renting a gun at a range...And then offing themself. What a nightmare.

FWIW...I agree. Its just not worth giving an inch...Because it will never be enough for the anti gun crowd. They want to ban all guns. That is a fact. The USA is really one of the few countries which have a "Right to Bear Arms" guaranteed by the Constitution.

Last edited:

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Warm and fuzzies wont prevent someone from committing a crime with the gun you sold them. A bill of sale should cover you if its recovered in a crime. Trust your instincts and cover your bases. Everything after that is not on you. I would concur that more regulation, especially self-imposed, wont fix the problems. Its just another back door way to restrict our activities.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Wow...I never even thought about that....The possibility of someone who is suicidal renting a gun at a range...And then offing themself. What a nightmare.

FWIW...I agree. Its just not worth giving an inch...Because it will never be enough for the anti gun crowd. They want to ban all guns. That is a fact. The USA is really one of the few countries which have a "Right to Bear Arms" guaranteed by the Constitution.

Chances of that **** is near zero. There are literally thousands of other ways to kill yourself, many of them being much easier. Also most people who would consider using a gun already have a gun or could go and purchase a gun and then kill themselves at some place besides the range.

Top Bottom