Lets talk classic looking snubbies..... Experts?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I generally carry a Taurus 605 or Springfield 1911. You can guess which gets the most carry time. I've started to really fall in love with snubbys as of late and would like to buy something that's very "classic" looking if nothing else.

I would like either a blued steel .357 Mag or a lightweight .38 Special (+P rated) that looks like a blued gun. Both with a traditional hammer would be prefered. I'm looking for something "old school" I'm probably most interested in a Smith & Wesson....

All that being said, I'm not shopping. I'm just looking for what models would satisfy my criteria. Ideas?

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    I have a S&W 340PD that I just love. It's a 12oz .357mag, so it's not a range gun by any means, but I didn't buy it as a "daily shooter". Put it in a #3 Uncle Mikes pocket holster and you can carry it in dress slacks and not even know it's there. Great little pocket gun in my opinion.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    I have a S&W 340PD that I just love. It's a 12oz .357mag, so it's not a range gun by any means, but I didn't buy it as a "daily shooter". Put it in a #3 Uncle Mikes pocket holster and you can carry it in dress slacks and not even know it's there. Great little pocket gun in my opinion.

+1

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    "Classic" is a nebulous term; but to my mind, given your stated parameters, you're looking at a 2.5" M-19 for the former, or a M-37 for the latter. The M-37 is not "rated" for +P, but will withstand a limited amount of those. I carried AirWeight snubbies for many years with +P ammunition, and shot same once a year. I have seen several pre-95 aluminum (AirWeight) J frames actually "stretch" from too much high-pressure ammo, so you gotta be careful with that.

Anyway, both of these in blue are true classics, with exposed hammers. If you want something to carry, I'd strongly advise AGAINST a traditional blue finish. The snubby M-19 can be had in nickle, or in stainless as the M-66.

Classic M-37s can be had in nickle, but for stainless or scandium you'll have to go with the newer, slightly larger J frame size and shrouded barrel. Not a damn thing classic about those; but a M-342 is part of my daily kit, because the sucker weighs only eleven ounces empty. A standard Airweight weighs fifteen ounces empty, and that four ounces makes a difference when carried in a pocket.

BTW, a 2.5" M-19 or M-66 is going to weigh almost as much as your 1911; you'll definitely need a good belt holster for one of those.

Thanks.

Or if you really want the classic look, I believe that S&W is making a 36 Classic with diamond grips, etc..
    May I ask why you want a hammer gun for CCW, esp in a pocket?

I learned to deal with a hammered gun in my pocket (Taurus 605).... I'm really just looking for a classic looking gun.

Alpo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Redneck Riviera
    But really, what IS a snubby?

This one started life as a 5 1/2" 1917, so I think it is a snubby.
    100_0549.jpg

The one above it, however, while it has the same barrel length, just doesn't look like a snubby to me.
    SW32HEand1917.jpg

The three-inch 44 is a snubby, but the three-inch 357 - not so much.
    SW3inch65696.jpg

This really is, but since it's a 32 it's outside your parameters.
    SWSmith332.jpg

For a lightweight 38, I like this one.
    SW642-2.jpg

But for a small 357 I like this one.
    SW19.jpg

Alpo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Redneck Riviera
    That's a Wondersight. Turns your fixed sight Smith into adjustable.

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/wondersight/

I been lookin' for a T-grip, but so far, no luck. I got a Pachmyar adapter on a Colt Police Postive Special, but ain't real thrilled with it. They Tylers are supposed to be better, but like I said, I ain't stumbled across one. Yet.

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

Alpo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Redneck Riviera
    It's pretty good. That 19 was my bathroom gun for about four years. Then I took it to the range and noticed a little surface rust on the sideplate. I've heard about how NP3 will resist umpteen hours of salt water without corroding, but apparently 1400 days of hot shower steam was too much for it. It cleaned up okay, but I replaced it with that 65 that's a couple of pictures up.

When it came back, it had a better trigger. I'd heard that happens, but didn't really believe it. Apparently the nickel-teflon coating on the internals makes them a little slipperier.

Alpo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Redneck Riviera
    Indeed it does.

If you would have sent that 19 back to Robar, they would have fixed it. I have had a half-dozen different guns NP3'ed, carried some of them extensively on the road (i.e., getting rained/sweated on a lot), and aside from a general dulling over time, not the first sign of corrosion. I suspect your side plate wasn't completely "cleaned" prior to the NP3 application.

Moot point now, I know.

Yeah, the Pachmayr plastic grip adapters are pretty cheesy. Better than rubber stocks on a 1917, though. Jeez, Louise... that's like putting... well, never mind. ;)

Either I'm misunderstanding you, or maybe you misunderstood me. When I said I replaced the 19 with the 65, I didn't mean I got rid of the 19. Just quit keeping it in the bathroom. Put the stainless gun in there. At least, that's what I'm reading your "moot point" comment to mean - that you understood me to say I traded the 19 off.

I just may need to get in touch with them, about that. 'Course, that'll require a 50 dollar or more UPS rip-off to send 'em the gun.

Top Bottom