Lifestraw

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    http://www.vestergaard-frandsen.com/lifestraw/lifestraw/features

Picked up one of these, I've got Miox filters, tablets, various pumps...

I liked the idea of the straw for the simplicity (no moving parts) the weight (2 oz IIRC) the fact that there is no wait for the water.

I picked this one because, although it was more expensive than some, it's ratio of cost to water ($20/1,000 liters) was the best. (tHe description also told me it would get harder to suck up the water as it got closer to the end of its lifespan, both assuring me there would be some warning, and telling me when it would be no longer useful) in retrospect, they probably all function like that.

I can't say I've torture tested it. I just took it out today and had a few sips from puddles in the rocks (I've got a couple streams and several springs)

Taste is fine, works as advertised. Just have to lay down and put your face nearly in the water.

Ill be using this a bit to make it so I can stay out longer and not worry about running out of water, or carrying too much weight (with my feet weight matters)

Probably buy a couple more and stick here and there. It comes sealed in plastic, and says its good for 5 years in storage. (oh, and the lanyard is a nice feature, although I didn't think so till I was crossing rocks to get to the water)

Well worth the $20 IMHO

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Does anyone make a fitted siphon kit for these? I could easily see the benefit of not having to make out with the ground, filling up water jugs etc. with it as an inline filter as opposed to the drinking cup itself.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Does anyone make a fitted siphon kit for these? I could easily see the benefit of not having to make out with the ground, filling up water jugs etc. with it as an inline filter as opposed to the drinking cup itself.

You need to look at the Sawyer and mini for that.

As far as what water sources... It (like all ceramic filters) doesn't filter out viruses... Not really an issue in the US

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I don't think anyone makes a pocket sized desalinator. Shame too... it would be great for sea kayak / island trips...

Be careful of gators when you put your face down by the water! :)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I don't think anyone makes a pocket sized desalinator. Shame too... it would be great for sea kayak / island trips...

Be careful of gators when you put your face down by the water! :)

I think they make desalination tablets though.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I think they make desalination tablets though.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Not saying it can't be done, but I don't think it's that easy. Removing salt requires either distilling out the water (leaving a higher concentrated salt water solution behind) or ionic exchange removal. You can't just filter or coagulate it out. If you could, many third world waterless countries problems could be solved.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom