Lifetime ccw

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    This is but one step away from a law abiding citizen being able to do what he should be able to do, anyway, IMHO.

EXACTLY! We shouldn't even have to jump through these hoops or pay fees for permission to exercise our 2nd amendment right.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    EXACTLY! We shouldn't even have to jump through these hoops or pay fees for permission to exercise our 2nd amendment right.

Strap your gun on and go exercise it. A CH isn't a right, it's a privilege granted by the state to those who qualify as a way of restricting access to the ones Not qualified.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Strap your gun on and go exercise it. A CH isn't a right, it's a privilege granted by the state to those who qualify as a way of restricting access to the ones Not qualified.

It sounds like you believe conceal carry laws prevent criminals from conceal carrying handguns....good luck backing that philosophy up.

So to you the 2nd amendment is only for Open Carry, and the gov't "allows" us to conceal it, but only after we submit to their tests and pay up....um no thanks. (fyi - Alaska, Arizona, Vermont and Wyoming don't require anything to conceal carry).

I would argue that we have the "Right To Bear Arms"....whether it be concealed or openly carrying. But I can see why a person who profits off of government mandates would advocate for said government mandates.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Take a look at what the gun control advocate spouts off near the end of the article.

"Louisiana is just in general going off the rails on this stuff. This just completely and totally perverts what James Madison was doing in drafting the [Second] Amendment," Everitt said.

He doesn't even try to mask the utter contempt he holds for the Second Amendment. Let that sink in, for a moment. Then try and grasp the irony of this person to dare speak of this "perverting" the Second Amendment. :dunno:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It sounds like you believe conceal carry laws prevent criminals from conceal carrying handguns....good luck backing that philosophy up.

So to you the 2nd amendment is only for Open Carry, and the gov't "allows" us to conceal it, but only after we submit to their tests and pay up....um no thanks. (fyi - Alaska, Arizona, Vermont and Wyoming don't require anything to conceal carry).

I would argue that we have the "Right To Bear Arms"....whether it be concealed or openly carrying.

Yes, I'd have to agree the average criminal probably doesn't fret much over the "privilege vs right" debate. :dogkeke:

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA

It is something that a state has no right restricting. I understand the 2nd amendment is limited, however, when I paid for my CHP I paid a tax. I paid for something that the constitution is my God given right

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    The lifetime permit may not be the best idea. It could cause problems with reciprocity. Also, if we can get a NICS exemption for CHP holders, the maximum duration the CHP can be for is 5 years.

I love the convenience, but don't want any unintended consequences.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    The lifetime permit may not be the best idea. It could cause problems with reciprocity. Also, if we can get a NICS exemption for CHP holders, the maximum duration the CHP can be for is 5 years.

I love the convenience, but don't want any unintended consequences.

Why would there be an issue with reciprocity?

What unintended consequences do you envision?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Why would there be an issue with reciprocity?

What unintended consequences do you envision?
    He /just/ lined out the unintended consequences. I think those two are pretty good ones.

Reciprocity only works if the other state thinks you're "good enough" to their standards, and they /choose/ to accept your permits as valid in their state. There is nothing forcing them to recognize your State's permit like their is a driver's license.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    He /just/ lined out the unintended consequences. I think those two are pretty good ones.

Reciprocity only works if the other state thinks you're "good enough" to their standards, and they /choose/ to accept your permits as valid in their state. There is nothing forcing them to recognize your State's permit like their is a driver's license.

it's not clear to me the two unintended consequences. I see 1, that he is worried other states wouldn't recognize it. SO I asked why would there be an issue with that? (waiting on his answer).

I don't see another consequence that he listed. I see some statement about advocating for a NICS exemption, that's it.

Help me out here.

Now to address your Reciprocity concerns - I'm not sold that other States would refuse to recognize LACHP b/c it's lifetime. Is there something that's been said by other States regarding this?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Other States have had their permits not accepted for reciprocity because the tests were nonexistent or they were not "good enough" for others States to pass.

To have a State that has a one time test, and allows people to theoretically go decades without so much as a refresher course is not unlikely to cause concern in other States. It's a cost issue really... and while I'd like anything closer to Constitutional carry as possible, I travel often and strengthening my rights in one state, even if it's my primary state, is not worth the sacrifice of my rights in others I may travel to.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I don't really understand the purpose of the "refresher course."

What am I being refreshed on that has somehow gone stale?

Do I need refreshing on putting holes in paper ten feet away?

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Other States have had their permits not accepted for reciprocity because the tests were nonexistent or they were not "good enough" for others States to pass.

To have a State that has a one time test, and allows people to theoretically go decades without so much as a refresher course is not unlikely to cause concern in other States. It's a cost issue really... and while I'd like anything closer to Constitutional carry as possible, I travel often and strengthening my rights in one state, even if it's my primary state, is not worth the sacrifice of my rights in others I may travel to.

ok understood.

hmm...here's what I would like to see Louisiana do:

#1: Offer a Lifetime CHP.
    #2: Offer the option to "re-test" every 5 years, for individuals who travel and need CHP to be approved in other States.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I think it's mainly referring to keeping up with the current laws (or changes in them)- which could be achieved by simply doing the research for one's own self....

Ok- back to what I asked earlier: What does a person from Montana do when they visit LA?? We "reciprocate" with them- but they no longer require a permit. When they come here for a visit, are they SOL?

Last edited:

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    ok understood.

hmm...here's what I would like to see Louisiana do:

#1: Offer a Lifetime CHP.
    #2: Offer the option to "re-test" every 5 years, for individuals who travel and need CHP to be approved in other States.

EDIT:

#1: Louisiana becomes Constitutional Carry State (no permit required to conceal).
    #2: Louisiana Offers CHP Tests to individuals who travel to other States.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Ok- back to what I asked earlier: What does a person from Montana do when they visit LA?? We "reciprocate" with them- but they no longer require a permit. When they come here for a visit, are they SOL?

When faced with the question, they all consider themselves in the "Concealed is concealed" crowd? :p

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    EDIT:

#1: Louisiana becomes Constitutional Carry State (no permit required to conceal).
    #2: Louisiana Offers CHP Tests to individuals who travel to other States.

Yeah this.

What would it take to be a constitutional carry state with no permit to conceal? We took the concealed weapon language out of the Louisiana constitution a few months ago. What else do we need? Repeal/adjust all of the other laws?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yeah this.

What would it take to be a constitutional carry state with no permit to conceal? We took the concealed weapon language out of the Louisiana constitution a few months ago. What else do we need? Repeal/adjust all of the other laws?
    Yes, but I'd prefer the option to continue to maintain CHPs as I would like to maintain my right to do so in States that do not allow non-resident permits, but require a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Top Bottom