Living off the land...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Ok guys, im pretty new to BS and ive been reading through some of the survival threads and most of these pertain to the inevitable downfall of society. I see alot of threads focused on buggin out and having to travel with a certain "bag" of survival gear, people mention what gun they would tote, what food and meds they would pack, etc.

However I dont see many threads about how to survive off the land....sooner or later once the boxed food runs out people need to know what plants here in louisiana are edible (other than the obvious), the art of snares, building traps, homegrown remedies and meds, how to preserve and pack your daily kills so that they dont spoil overnight etc. Ive looked for books on surviving of the land here in louisiana, (to put in my survival pack) but havent found much

My grandpa tried to teach me the "old" ways of living off the land back when i was a child, but he passed and I dont remember much, so with all that said, Please post all the informative ways in which someone could resort back to the old ways of living off the land.

DE

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I have several books on your subject as well as some snares if you wanna play with some..

I have tried learning myself about snares and deadfalls and have the snares down well, even though they are not fool proof.. dead fall trigger is not easy even the figure four..

If you dont know the difference between heirloom seeds and others, read up on it.. Almost all of the seeds we see in stores are not a seed that the plant will grow again.. so your plant that grows from it, will not produce a viable seed when time to do so..

I have the books in ebook format.. as well as several >mil in ebook format...

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    A really informative, interesting and just downright cool set of books are the FOXFIRE books. Started as a project by a University (I forget which one) and became so good that a whole series was done. Six Volumes I think. It is basically how to do anything and everything with nothing. Interviews with old, really old, mountain folk from the Appalachian Mountains. Most didn't even get electricity till the 60's. Progress kind of passed them by and they didn't get out of the hollar much, so.... How to hunt, skin, fish, pan for gold, plant, build a still, home medicine, how to build a rifle, knife, trap, fire, Fish hook, wagon wheel, How to can, store, cook or otherwise make local (to them) plants edible. Quite a bit of holistic medicine as well as stuff like getting rid of warts buy burying a frog under a fig tree on the full moon or some such ****. An awesome set of books if you can get your hands on them. They are long out of print but come up on Amazon once in a while.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    If the SHTF it is probably gonna make the world similar to the book of eli. There ain't gonna be much left "off the land" to survive on. As if I know

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    A really informative, interesting and just downright cool set of books are the FOXFIRE books. Started as a project by a University (I forget which one) and became so good that a whole series was done. Six Volumes I think. It is basically how to do anything and everything with nothing. Interviews with old, really old, mountain folk from the Appalachian Mountains. Most didn't even get electricity till the 60's. Progress kind of passed them by and they didn't get out of the hollar much, so.... How to hunt, skin, fish, pan for gold, plant, build a still, home medicine, how to build a rifle, knife, trap, fire, Fish hook, wagon wheel, How to can, store, cook or otherwise make local (to them) plants edible. Quite a bit of holistic medicine as well as stuff like getting rid of warts buy burying a frog under a fig tree on the full moon or some such ****. An awesome set of books if you can get your hands on them. They are long out of print but come up on Amazon once in a while.

Just went googling for them there are 12! you can find them here http://www.foxfire.org and amazon.com and the usual places. Gonna order the first on looks interesting.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I'm trying a little different approach b/c I am not as young and fast as I was when I was young and fast; we have a place and it's remote( living here now ) everything is paid for so thats not a worry. We have up to date electric and mechanical system, well, and everything is wired to b/u generator. Most of this stuff won't matter in a severe situation but it's there.

I'm talking to a couple of friends who are young and fast but don't have a place to bug to. They would only need shelter, if there are any utilities they can hook up to me. We have plenty room to hunt and grow, just needs to be manned, and like some of y'all I ain't young and fast anymore. However I have guns , ammo, fair knowledge of guns and game and a lot of work / construction experience.

Don't know what to call this plan but it's the one I'm on. Guess a plan is better than o ****

Living alone and remote has been discussed here a lot. (:deadhorse: )

So many thing s come into play that IMO several able bodied people are much better than alone.

this is a good thread

Bump

longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Problem with living alone and remote is that not all of us have that luxury.......I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to live out in the boonies everyday, but im of the younger generation (28yrs old and currently looking for land) and I simply cannot afford to buy land of any amount (over 3-4 acres) to live much less properly prepare for any sort of disaster.....I guess im running on the Hope and pray method....when SHTF I sure hope and pray im in the right loaction at the right time to grab my current supplies and bug out someplace outside Baton Rouge.

I do have 80 acres of family land back home (bout 2 hrs from BR) but it is what it is worthless to try and survive on. Soooooo If you wanna piece me into your survival plan, Id me much obliged!

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Problem with living alone and remote is that not all of us have that luxury.......I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to live out in the boonies everyday, but im of the younger generation (28yrs old and currently looking for land) and I simply cannot afford to buy land of any amount (over 3-4 acres) to live much less properly prepare for any sort of disaster.....I guess im running on the Hope and pray method....when SHTF I sure hope and pray im in the right loaction at the right time to grab my current supplies and bug out someplace outside Baton Rouge.

I do have 80 acres of family land back home (bout 2 hrs from BR) but it is what it is worthless to try and survive on. Soooooo If you wanna piece me into your survival plan, Id me much obliged!

As a 29 year old... this is flagrantly incorrect.

longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Which part? A 28yr old being of the younger generation or not being able to afford more then 3-4 arces of land?

Ill admit it, im not as spry as I was at 16, but im still pretty nimble........and at 25-35 grand an acre in LP, Pointe Coupee, st. helena and most all surrounding areas with in 1 hr drive from baton rouge (or plaquemine where I work) Id say any more then 3-5 acres become hard to afford not to mention the cost of building a house on a single income.....sooooo while I may flagrantly incorrect...im just not sure how im incorrect. Please enlighten me.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City

if TSHTF for real im setting up shop anywhere i can. i seriously doubt youre still going to legitly buy/sell land and go to a notary and file the papers with the state or w/e else is involved in buying land.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Which part? A 28yr old being of the younger generation or not being able to afford more then 3-4 arces of land?

Ill admit it, im not as spry as I was at 16, but im still pretty nimble........and at 25-35 grand an acre in LP, Pointe Coupee, st. helena and most all surrounding areas with in 1 hr drive from baton rouge (or plaquemine where I work) Id say any more then 3-5 acres become hard to afford not to mention the cost of building a house on a single income.....sooooo while I may flagrantly incorrect...im just not sure how im incorrect. Please enlighten me.

Everything I highlighted.

You just have to decide what lifestyle you want to live, Sacrifice a bit and if it's worth the cost.

I just closed on 80 acres of land for less than $1K/ Acre.

It's over 25 miles to the nearest Wallmart though!

I'll be building a off grid cabin in the spring. Not because I believe the sky is falling, or the Black Helos are coming, but because it's cheaper than running power out to it, It'll leave me with one less monthly bill, and it's better for the environment.

I will be putting in an orchard, and critters not to feed me when the zombies wipe you all out, but because I like knowing where my food comes from (Google "Pink Slime")

Ditch the TV, many of the electronics, ditch the car note, credit cards and other bills and select your destiny.

I've done some long range patrols. Unless you have a destination... and think you are going to survive some 'apocalyptic situation' by bugging out with a pack... you are a fool.

My bug out plan is this:
    Put stuff in the car, drive to my place, unpack.

I keep the necessary to get there on foot onhand. You won't be living off the land, and if you try to take something from someone you will be shot.

d_hawkins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Simple solution. Buy a single acre surrounded by nothingness (1000acres of woods or something that is "off the beaten path"), build a cabin out of pallets and live off the grid, the whole solar energy thing sounds fun. I would try to be near a water source.
    HERE IS WHERE THE GENIUS PLAN KICKS IN,

When/If it hits the fan, you have the oppurtunity to be the first to.... "borrow" that land. I would recommend having some close friends and family if you plan on keeping that land, but as my favorite fortune cookie once said, "It is not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that matters"

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Simple solution. Buy a single acre surrounded by nothingness (1000acres of woods or something that is "off the beaten path"), build a cabin out of pallets and live off the grid, the whole solar energy thing sounds fun. I would try to be near a water source.
    HERE IS WHERE THE GENIUS PLAN KICKS IN,

When/If it hits the fan, you have the oppurtunity to be the first to.... "borrow" that land. I would recommend having some close friends and family if you plan on keeping that land, but as my favorite fortune cookie once said, "It is not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that matters"
    It's nearly impossible to buy ONE ACRE that is surrounded by thousands of acres of nothing .

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom