Living off the land...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    IF the SHTF that bad, everyone will eventually be going where the food is.

I like the idea of living off the land for other reasons.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    True, but 5, 10, and 20 acre parcels exist...

I was looking for 10-20 when I stumbled on my 80.

I envy you. But, I may not be far behind you.

You're gonna love it there. The Ozarks/Ouachitas area is spectacular. Great people. Great climate. No longer a target, since they shut down the silo's. A folk tradition that is every bit as rich and varied as Louisiana. Mountain Home, Mountain View, festivals. Good golf, hunting, fishing, music, food. The one time world record Brown Trout was taken in the White River (almost 40 lbs.)

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

You're gonna love it there. The Ozarks/Ouachitas area is spectacular. Great people. Great climate. No longer a target, since they shut down the silo's. A folk tradition that is every bit as rich and varied as Louisiana. Mountain Home, Mountain View, festivals. Good golf, hunting, fishing, music, food. The one time world record Brown Trout was taken in the White River (almost 40 lbs.)

Ok, I'm ready to go. :D

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Living as SIMPLE as I can:}

Afternoon Folks

Yea had been thinking of living off the land for quite some time then I bought 6 acres here in Lizard Creek approx 12 years ago.

At that time I addressed a bad marriage, stressful job, and downsized EVERYTHING. Not all at once now but over time; So I bought this land and when the time got right and I got divorced, I built an energy effecient 1600 sq ft home in the middle of my property.

Well water, No sewer fees, no garbage pickup etc. Free TV only etc.. electric only

I'm surrounded by Company timber property on 3 sides so neighbors are not a problem, I have over the years planted fruit trees of all sort over 30 and nut trees and grow a medium size garden all year long.

Only animal is my dog Daisy Mae. I barter for eggs etc. I'm lucky to the fact that I can buy fresh meat locally from a slaughter house near by and live only 7 miles from a grocery store one way.

Last thing I addressed was my job almost 6 years ago....I now work 4 days a week for peanuts literally lol in stead of 6 1/2 days for a six figure income.The only reason I work 4 days is that they won't let me work 3 and keep my benefits lol.

I found out money never keep a wife or made me happy however; I did discover that surrendering the "Rat Race" for me wears well.

I know it may sound foolish but for me I had to "Surrender to Win". I truly believe that life is to be ENJOYED not simply endured!

When faced with the choice of being Right or Happy I do my best to choose Happy:}

Living off the land...so far I like DAT me.

Peace B with U

ffho2urwwj7qv3dup5r.jpg

1oq0fi8qhl3tt4wqw0nc.jpg

zs5ghmqt4ljenv91b8xw.jpg

ibwi4h3gulic8rf5sj7a.jpg

osj7fjwu1f0xbpvehivp.jpg

zhppk5s43nh3pnq47yfa.jpg

yxoe0ujqthedqkabx0v.jpg

x2f8fcm6d9sxa6jmarqh.jpg

9kz7n7fr0kjgzla22by.jpg

91t9e0hzhfqfw4k1e7by.jpg

u5yziqs66p55ufmxebwz.jpg

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Skiney, I think I envy you. I've slowly been coming to the conclusion that you did.... or something along those lines.

Just out of curiosity, what industry were you in and what do you do now?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

I know. I spent my Marine Corps career looking all over the 48 and narrowed it down to that area.

Then when I was medically retired I lived there for 2 years and searched for the right chunk of land while I finished my degree.
    (2 waterfalls year round, 80 acres, $812.50/acre)

Rt now I'm trying to break into being a safety officer in the oil industry so I can spend 1/2 the year there...

ETA: food is bad though...

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Nomad you're going to have to come off with some pics man. I'd like to see that place.

Next spring I'll be planting Fruit Trees and Berries in a clearing next to a pond on my father-n-laws back 40. The place we're planting them was a free range pen for pigs for a couple years. Should be good for the trees.

I'm hoping to have enough fruit to provide for a daily diet of such.

Veggy garden will happen next year too now that I've got the Equipment(5 foot PTO Tiller) and plenty acres hidden behind acres of woods way out of view :)

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Hitman

Check out Bountiful Gardens. They are a leading proponent of the Grow Biointensive method of Gardening. Organic, sustainable, up to 4 times as productive as traditional gardening. Tilling damages necessary beneficial microbial activity and soil structure.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Hitman

Check out Bountiful Gardens. They are a leading proponent of the Grow Biointensive method of Gardening. Organic, sustainable, up to 4 times as productive as traditional gardening. Tilling damages necessary beneficial microbial activity and soil structure.

What Dat? :p Summary...

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I spent my summer vacations from 13-17 wandering the Wayne natl forest for 1-3 weeks at a time.
    I would set out with my fishing pole, .22 rifle, a couple boxes of shells, and basic camp stuff. All in a small pack.
    I lived off the land with nothing but a few cans of food for back up.
    I used mostly snares for meat, and foraged lots of plants.
    The key to living off the land with no property is being a hunter gather. You have to keep moving. 2-3 days in a location max, them move several miles away and do it again. You quickly eat out an area just by foraging.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    What Dat? :p Summary...

Holistic gardening, for want of a better term. Founder John Jeavons was a semi-hippie, save the planet/people, back to the land type in the early seventies. Took a degree from MIT and then went to a crummy piece of land in upstate California, where he has spent 40 years applying his scientific training to research on sustainability. A focus is to train and educate people in the 3rd world to be more self sufficient, particularly in regions with marginal or poor arability.

He advocates 'mini-farming in raised beds. Major focus is on "double digging" soil preparation to 24" while maintaining proper soil stratification. His research indicates the in 3-4 years of his method even poor quality land can be improved to high levels of productivity, without introducing outside fertilizers or mechanization. Composting, crop rotation, crop diversity and mix are key elements. Natural pest and disease prevention and remedy are other hallmarks.

He's got it down to 2000 sq feet to provide a complete diet for 1 adult, if you decide you want to go vegetarian. Much less if you just want a steady supply of fresh food.

His organization is Ecology Action. Bountiful Gardens is the supply source for heirloom seeds, publications, tools, etc.

I'd bet Manimal is familiar with their work.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    You guys do realize if the **** ever did hit the fan and civilization as we knew it ceased to be, whatever you try to build someone is going to want to take. Without any law, the scumbags of society will band together and will show up at whatever off the grid location you set up.

So if you really want to be serious about this you better learn how to set human sized traps and different alarms that will wake you up when (and I do mean when, not if) they come.

As Nomad said above, there's a reason cities and farms were started. The best thing you can do is try to get with enough people you can trust to start your own commune. If you're going to be going about on your own you really can't settle in one place for too long without anyone watching your back.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    You guys do realize if the **** ever did hit the fan and civilization as we knew it ceased to be, whatever you try to build someone is going to want to take. Without any law, the scumbags of society will band together and will show up at whatever off the grid location you set up.

So if you really want to be serious about this you better learn how to set human sized traps and different alarms that will wake you up when (and I do mean when, not if) they come.

As Nomad said above, there's a reason cities and farms were started. The best thing you can do is try to get with enough people you can trust to start your own commune. If you're going to be going about on your own you really can't settle in one place for too long without anyone watching your back.

Well for me I'm just wanting to have fruit and veggies to aid in my diet and pocket book some. All the SHTF talk is beyond my concern. :)

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Cool. I have heard that if you plant your herb amongst corn, it will fool the black helicopters. YMMV. :dunno::dogkeke:

I remembered that the last time I saw him posting, he was looking for someplace to practice sustainable farming. He was using a lot of the same verbiage as Jeavons. Hence, I offer an educated guess.

Jeavons book is considered a must have primer in the field. 280 pages. Wide range of topics. Beaucoup very useful charts on timing, spacing, companion planting, #plants for specified yield, etc.

"How to Grow More Vegetables (and fruit, nuts, berries, grain and other crops) than you thought possible on less land than you imagined." ~$21.00 +shipping.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom