Living off the land...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Bass pro had some tri-fold water proof books/pamphlet type stuff around their flashlights upstairs next to the little kids shooting game. They have a huge variety of stuff in them from herbal remedies, first aid, hunting, fishing, and survival... bunch of different ones those were just the ones i skimmed threw. They are probably not as in depth as some other things but would probably give you a good foundation to work on.

Not to mention the damn things are waterproof so you can fold them up and put them in your bug out bag or aluminum hat...

They were on the pricey side i think but worth a look i guess :)

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Waterfalls? Now I'm green with envy. Micro hydro! Total off grid.

Wind through the winter and fall, about. 30 foot drop on the falls... I plan on trying it.

Nomad you're going to have to come off with some pics man. I'd like to see that place.

I've got pix and video, but only on my iPhone and I don't know how to eliminate the imbedded gps whatever that's in the photos, so I'm not posting it.

Everyone who sees them... Drools.:D

BRdefender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If the poop hits the windmill, it won't really matter where you are. It will be important to join forces with family and friends in an organized fashion to be able to fend off those that wish to take what you have, and to pool knowledge and resources from each other to help insure survival. But no matter how good your group is, you will eventually be conquered by a larger better organized group....eventually....with bigger guns and more ammo. Lonliness is only the solution if you can remain that way....but, I'm sure that would get old real fast.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Everything I highlighted.

You just have to decide what lifestyle you want to live, Sacrifice a bit and if it's worth the cost.

I just closed on 80 acres of land for less than $1K/ Acre.

It's over 25 miles to the nearest Wallmart though!

I'll be building a off grid cabin in the spring. Not because I believe the sky is falling, or the Black Helos are coming, but because it's cheaper than running power out to it, It'll leave me with one less monthly bill, and it's better for the environment.

I will be putting in an orchard, and critters not to feed me when the zombies wipe you all out, but because I like knowing where my food comes from (Google "Pink Slime")

Ditch the TV, many of the electronics, ditch the car note, credit cards and other bills and select your destiny.

I've done some long range patrols. Unless you have a destination... and think you are going to survive some 'apocalyptic situation' by bugging out with a pack... you are a fool.

My bug out plan is this:
    Put stuff in the car, drive to my place, unpack.

I keep the necessary to get there on foot onhand. You won't be living off the land, and if you try to take something from someone you will be shot.

most intelligent fking post i've ever seen on an internet survival forum. So you have a bug-out bag? Where are you taking it? *crickets*

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Check out Fur Fish and Game magazine in their Hawbacker book series. There is a book called Deadfalls and Snares. You can build deadfalls big enough to trap bears. Also trapping and snare supplies in the magazine. Snares big enough to catch hogs or bears.

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    Check out Fur Fish and Game magazine in their Hawbacker book series. There is a book called Deadfalls and Snares. You can build deadfalls big enough to trap bears. Also trapping and snare supplies in the magazine. Snares big enough to catch hogs or bears.
    I to think fur fish and game magazine is a good source not just for survival but also good reading.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    A really informative, interesting and just downright cool set of books are the FOXFIRE books. Started as a project by a University (I forget which one) and became so good that a whole series was done. Six Volumes I think. It is basically how to do anything and everything with nothing. Interviews with old, really old, mountain folk from the Appalachian Mountains. Most didn't even get electricity till the 60's. Progress kind of passed them by and they didn't get out of the hollar much, so.... How to hunt, skin, fish, pan for gold, plant, build a still, home medicine, how to build a rifle, knife, trap, fire, Fish hook, wagon wheel, How to can, store, cook or otherwise make local (to them) plants edible. Quite a bit of holistic medicine as well as stuff like getting rid of warts buy burying a frog under a fig tree on the full moon or some such ****. An awesome set of books if you can get your hands on them. They are long out of print but come up on Amazon once in a while.

I came in to post about the FOXFIRE books. Good stuff.

Edit: I didn't realize this was as old a thread as it was.

Last edited:

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    it's going to take a lot of time, concentration, effort and money if you really want to be able to do this, and if shtf, the game will be gone, as well the freshwater fish and the known-edible wild plants. Best cache a year's worth of food and know how to grow sprouts. search you tube for vids by Dave Cantebury. there's right at 1000 of them. He's a bit off on the gun stuff, but most of the rest of it, he's right up there with anybody.

thecowboy56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    Bosque, NM
    very interested in where you found land productive enough to convince you it was "bugout-worthy" for $1K/acre. my wife and i live in rural new mexico and are relocating very soon. just looking for the right spot. we have socked away enough to build an off-the-grid spot second to none. but we want the right place. the land is a major consideration so i was hooked when i saw this post. is it top secret nomad? i dont expect you to post it here but maybe a PM? i dont how this stuff works.

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    you don't need to buy land in order to bugout there. for several reasons. The owners are shortly going to be dead, if shtf, or will never make it there. if you bury your goods properly, in advance, and have a well concealed dugout shelter (all done at night, without showing a light or leaving any "sign") it won't matter if 500 people share the same square mile with you. The way to do it is stay underground, except at night, and have NVD'S. Avoid people trouble and have a silenced autoloader, so that you can handle the starving dog packs.

after you get thru a year on your buried drums of food, and another year on subsurface plots of sprouts, maybe you can get away with normal gardening, etc. but before that, all your stuff will be stolen, and if you are visible in daylight, you will probably end up getting shot.

the hogs will all be eaten, by people and the starving dog packs. domestic and wild ones, within a month or 2 of shtf. pork takes a lot of salt to safely preserve it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom