Loaded gun on a boat?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I got a text from a friend today. He said another friend of ours told him in a CHP class he was told you can't carry a loaded gun on a boat. They were going out on his boat and wanted my input on that. I called him but he didn't answer. You ever heard that?

I wanted more details from the one that was told that. I can't wait to hear how that came up in a class.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    more **** story telling.. again, enforces who you take classes from..

all of that is null and void if you have a CC permit. some restrictions are in place in WMA, but if you declare it as I have, when stopped for inspections.. they are never more happy to hear it and if you are not breaking any laws, I have never had issues with being armed, and hunting..

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Actually passed law allowing chp on wma's all year, nature trails ect, even duck hunting and bow season but you cannot use it to harvest game!!! That would be a expensive mistake

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I just talked to them. They are at the mouth of Bayou Sara @ the Miss. running catfish lines.
    The one that took the CHP class thought he heard in the class that you couldn't have a loaded gun in a boat.
    I said you need to pay more attention in class and if the instructor did say it was illegal then call and tell him you want your money back.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    But on wma's, wildlife and fisher agents are to be treated as a police officer as in " official contact" must state you are a chp holder with a firearm

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    more **** story telling.. again, enforces who you take classes from..

I know a guy that got CHP and was telling a guy he worked with about it. The other guy was a part time LEO in a VERY small dept.
    He told my friend that he couldn't carry a loaded magazine in his gun in his vehicle. :doh:

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    FYI...Back in the Fall, I was down in Venice LA fishing and Coast guard was out doing some routine checks as ppl came in. We were pulled over and checked. Once they boarded, I handed him my DL and Carry permit to inform them I was carrying on my person (G19 in one of my OWB builds concealed under a shirt).
    They were very professional and simply handed back my ID's and did their check and then we were on our way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    FYI...Back in the Fall, I was down in Venice LA fishing and Coast guard was out doing some routine checks as ppl came in. We were pulled over and checked. Once they boarded, I handed him my DL and Carry permit to inform them I was carrying on my person (G19 in one of my OWB builds concealed under a shirt).
    They were very professional and simply handed back my ID's and did their check and then we were on our way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what happened to a friend of mine near Manchac recently.

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    Just to add a little for thought here.
    It is legal to have a weapon on your person while in a boat with a chp.
    If you are crossing into international waters it is illegal to have a gun on the boat period.
    It's never been a problem for me while offshore fishing having a gun in the cabin of my boat. While being boarded by the coast guard several times for inspections in federal waters I was politely warned of the repercussions of having a fire arm while in international waters.
    Being a ccp holder I don't go anywhere without my carry gun (legally) and still cannot get a clear answer on why I am denied the right to protect my family and property while traveling in international waters that border our federal waters.
    Law is law, but to this date the coast guard nor a lawyer could answer my question on this subject. Considering my boat sleeps five and is classed as a second home due to meeting criteria, in state waters/ inshore waters and federal it is an extension of my home.
    I've raised this question many times because of the lines aren't always too clear as to when you are in federal U.S. Waters or international while in the outer sections of the Gulf of Mexico or the eastern coast down to the Florida tip

International law stinks especially how dangerous some of these waters can be in certain areas, I guess the world powers to be think it's ok for the criminals to be able to "borrow" my boat at will and do as they want to and with the passengers.
    God bless America and our rights protected by our second amendment!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Just to add a little for thought here.
    It is legal to have a weapon on your person while in a boat with a chp.
    If you are crossing into international waters it is illegal to have a gun on the boat period.
    It's never been a problem for me while offshore fishing having a gun in the cabin of my boat. While being boarded by the coast guard several times for inspections in federal waters I was politely warned of the repercussions of having a fire arm while in international waters.
    Being a ccp holder I don't go anywhere without my carry gun (legally) and still cannot get a clear answer on why I am denied the right to protect my family and property while traveling in international waters that border our federal waters.
    Law is law, but to this date the coast guard nor a lawyer could answer my question on this subject. Considering my boat sleeps five and is classed as a second home due to meeting criteria, in state waters/ inshore waters and federal it is an extension of my home.
    I've raised this question many times because of the lines aren't always too clear as to when you are in federal U.S. Waters or international while in the outer sections of the Gulf of Mexico or the eastern coast down to the Florida tip

International law stinks especially how dangerous some of these waters can be in certain areas, I guess the world powers to be think it's ok for the criminals to be able to "borrow" my boat at will and do as they want to and with the passengers.
    God bless America and our rights protected by our second amendment!

That would be nice to read or have someone that really knew those laws outside in those waters. I don't have any need for it but it would be interesting

Top Bottom