Log book

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I've started building a data logbook for my rifle and have completed load data and drop tables based upon my field data I've collected thus far and the information regurgitation from JBM ballistic software. Over the past two matches at Palo Alto it seems that the software is dead on for the elements so I'm pretty confident in that department.

This book will now accompany me and log each and every shot taken from the rifle so I can compare my calls to the impacts and hopefully make sense of the information so I can improve. For those of you who shoot in the competitions and are already doing this, do you log each shot and position after you've taken it, recall each from memory once the string is finished, or do you just remember general adjustments you may have made and note them afterwards? It seems like at the end of a 20 shot string I still have enough time to jot down the info, so I don't see why I couldn't be doing that in between the shots anyway.

SwampKat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Laplace, LA
    I use to not keep track of my shots, but now I'm starting to just to keep track of cold bore and the next 4rds from 100 to 1000yds, b/c of some of the stages at Tiger Valley and Rifles Only matches requiring cb only, group, and/or know you limits shots.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I log them all (except the really important matches like the Nationals) as follows:

Shoot shot 1, load rifle, look at wind, look at target when it comes up, make sight adjustment based on impact and condition. Shoot shot 2, load rifle, write shot 1 location in book, look at wind, look at target when it comes up, make sight adjustment based on impact and condition. Shoot shot 3, load rifle, write shot 2 location in book, look at wind, look at target when it comes up, make sight adjustment based on impact and condition. Repeat until string is complete.

That way you don't waste any time and your book will depict your group most accurately.

Always make your scorer call out your scores. If you don't and his sheet differs from your book, his sheet governs. Also, it lets you know that he didn't miss a shot while you are stringing those Xs together. :)

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Always make your scorer call out your scores. If you don't and his sheet differs from your book, his sheet governs. Also, it lets you know that he didn't miss a shot while you are stringing those Xs together. :)

I had thought of that on my first match, but I didn't hear anyone else calling out shots so I thought it might be an inappropriate request or something. That method of logging each shot sounds like it might take some getting used to, but I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

Top Bottom