Long burning light needed for going underground

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I am going out West in few months and am planning to go underground in caves and natural caverns that we have discovered. I need headlamps, flashlights and anything that has a long duration of light without having to carry tons of batteries. Talking about being underground probably 8-10 hours at a time. I have seen on TV miners using headlamps that have considerable "run" time using rechargeable battery packs worn on belt. Cannot seem to find anything like that.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    On a brief short trip in we quickly found out that LED lights aren't anywhere near sufficient. Want to be properly prepared for next trip. Thanks

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    you either pay for batteries and buy a cheap light, or you pay for the light that uses LESS batteries (but they cost more)

120 lumen LED's are bright enough to search a building for suspects and possibly save your life. i would go in a cave with 20 cr123 batteries (10 hours worth full power at MAXIMUM, closer to 20~25 if you use light discipline since it is variable output) you could have a less powerful backup too....

strategos gladius

Gladius_Team_Smoke_Large.jpg

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Go to http://www.caves.org/ and start from there.

Google "caving" and follow links to good gear and how to use it.

BTW, caves are NOT to be taken lightly... Minimum THREE lights. If these are truly unexplored caves, I'd hook up with a veteran caver who knows that local area, and has survey/exploration experience. Your life could depend on it.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Well, without giving the cat away these caves (caverns) were utilized 200 to 450 years ago by explorers but have been hidden from view until we found a map on last trip and deciphered it and found the location to the hidden underground. We learned right away that LED lights (we had one with 24 LED's) weren't bright enough to see a safe distance as concealed traps are evident and every step has to be taken cautiousuly.

What we are going after is going to be unimaginable if we can survive the adventure.

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Well, without giving the cat away these caves (caverns) were utilized 200 to 450 years ago by explorers but have been hidden from view until we found a map on last trip and deciphered it and found the location to the hidden underground. We learned right away that LED lights (we had one with 24 LED's) weren't bright enough to see a safe distance as concealed traps are evident and every step has to be taken cautiousuly.

What we are going after is going to be unimaginable if we can survive the adventure.

what did you find the presidents book of secrets haha,,

i would atleast invest in a ass load of chem lights to mark turns and a trail back plus a handy back up if forsome reason batteries and flash lights fail..

Asc.rudeboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    i always thought of light sticks as a kids toy untill i took my daughter camping and gave her one for a night hike,,,,i never had to turn on my flash light,,i couldnt believe how much light they put out,,,and that was out doors i would imagine they would be even better in a inclosed area....

Asc.rudeboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    the green dosnt effect your night vision as much,,,the blue and white are friggen brite like hurt your eyes brite,,,they also make shields to put around them that directs the light forward so its not shining in your eyes.....

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    chemlights do make great alternate lights. i think i saw some several years ago that were "aviator" style and had an aluminum cover you spun to let the light "out". does that make any sense?

Asc.rudeboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    chemlights do make great alternate lights. i think i saw some several years ago that were "aviator" style and had an aluminum cover you spun to let the light "out". does that make any sense?

yea i was looking for a link to the exact things,,,they have them at walmart in the camping section...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    http://www.innermountainoutfitters.net/

Bob & Bob is another good source...

Best place for caving gear. +1 on the cave guide. Look at the TAG cave light. That was the standard for many years. Petzl is usually good. I prefer Princeton Tec personally.
    There's still a strong following in caving circles that uses carbide lamps. I don't like them because they stink if they're not adjusted just right.
    I've heard of people running out of batteries in a cave and being stuck for days. The ground isn't flat. Its easy to fall. You can die in there easy. Go caving with at least 4 people - if someone gets hurt, one stays with the injured party, two go for help.
    Every year the NSS publishes a list of cave deaths and details of how they died. Its filled with people who decided to take their flashlight and go explore a cave. 3 lights minimium per person. That's 12 lights for a group of 4, plus extra bulbs and batteries. Take a guide experienced with that cave. Join the NSS, then get in touch with some local cavers.

As far as batteries, I haven't been caving much in the last few years. Last trip was to Guffy Cave in N. Alabama. Its a stream passage lined with breakdown on both sides. We spent about 5 hours underground. I changed batteries at the rear even though they were still working OK. Cave temps kill batteries much faster than above ground. My knee was giving me trouble after climbing all the breakdown so I swam back out. No trouble with my headlamp.
    One other bit. Since my flashlight and headlamp are both made by princeton tec a lot of the parts are interchangeable... bulbs, heads, batteries, o rings, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joquinn1234567
    Top Bottom