Looking for opinions on some photos.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbolemiss

Rebel Fan
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    New Iberia,LA
    I like to spend money on guns and motorcycles, so to keep the peace in the house my wife plays with Photography.
    We had went to the New Orleans Zoo and she took a few pics and played with them on CS5. These were taken with her Canon 50D with a 85mm lense.
    I think she is getting better but its always nice to hear other people opinions.
    So let us have it Yae Or Nay, and where could she improve.

I know we have a few people on here that play with this type of stuff (Teddy where you at?).

The album is here: http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m253/harleyrider29/New Orleans Zoo/

NOzoo300copy.jpg

NOzoo321copy.jpg

NOzoo381copy.jpg

NOzoo427copy.jpg

NOzoo539copy.jpg

NOzoo554copy.jpg

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Look good.

The only one that looks a little off is the Gorilla. If you look up at the top of his head, it almost looks like he was photoshopped onto the scene.

Did you get any Flamingos?

We went there in Nov and got some great ones (these were taken with my P&S).

1109446435_Kw2Zt-L.jpg

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Sorry I can't remember the exact name of it, but it was in an essential workflow action I bought for like 40.00 a good while back, Its for web sharpening. If you would like I could get the name of the place I bought the action from?

It's ok.

They are slightly noisy and/or a bit over sharpened. Actually, it could be one or the other or a combination. No big deal. Try opening the originals without the action with Camera raw and using the Noise reduction sliders.

I think the action might be over doing it, but not that bad. It would be really good to see an original.

Here's some editing on the jpegs. It not nearly as easy as using the raw files, and it may be subtle, but this is what I'm seeing. Your wife's edits are first.

Love that parrot shot, btw.

NOzoo539copy.jpg

Last edited:

dbolemiss

Rebel Fan
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    New Iberia,LA
    Look good.

The only one that looks a little off is the Gorilla. If you look up at the top of his head, it almost looks like he was photoshopped onto the scene.

Actually the gorilla one looks like that around his head because the sky was blown so I faked a blue sky.....wasnt sure if it was noticable. Thanks

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Look good.

Actually the gorilla one looks like that around his head because the sky was blown so I faked a blue sky.....wasnt sure if it was noticable. Thanks

that affect is also from using a zoom.. sometimes they flatten out the subject

dbolemiss

Rebel Fan
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    New Iberia,LA
    that affect is also from using a zoom.. sometimes they flatten out the subject

The lens used was a prime the 85mm actually, it doesn't zoom. In some I can agree that I do have noise in them and maybe oversharpened a little, the reason for that is because without doing that when I put them on facebook they look really wonky!

Just so everyone knows, this is Mrs. Dbolemiss, LOL, so if you thought he was turning sweet on ya'll, he isn't!

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Overall,they look good. Watch overexposure...it gives that contrasty look which may also contribute to that superimposed look. If you're not using one already,try a polarizing filter in front of the lens. It cuts down on glare and helps balance out some of the exposure. Try not using program mode on camera if you are using it. Some of the zoom shots have shallow depth of field and that's what the camera will give you when you zoom in on program mode. Shallow depth of field is good when zooming but you have to watch the exposure especiallywhen you're in front of light like the sun.

Try using aperture priority when doing these shots if the subjects aren't moving to quickly. You will have better subject exposure and you can control depth of field and the relative exposure. Other than that they look great.

Also,watch your framing and make sure your subject does not conflict with the background or foreground. Remember,your subject can either be in the middle of the frame or off center,whichever way you want it but watch the exposure when doing off center subject to avoid washing out and contrasting from over exposure.

Last edited:

dbolemiss

Rebel Fan
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    New Iberia,LA
    Overall,they look good. Watch overexposure...it gives that contrasty look which may also contribute to that superimposed look. If you're not using one already,try a polarizing filter in front of the lens. It cuts down on glare and helps balance out some of the exposure. Try not using program mode on camera if you are using it. Some of the zoom shots have shallow depth of field and that's what the camera will give you when you zoom in on program mode. Shallow depth of field is good when zooming but you have to watch the exposure especiallywhen you're in front of light like the sun.

Try using aperture priority when doing these shots if the subjects aren't moving to quickly. You will have better subject exposure and you can control depth of field and the relative exposure. Other than that they look great.

Also,watch your framing and make sure your subject does not conflict with the background or foreground. Remember,your subject can either be in the middle of the frame or off center,whichever way you want it but watch the exposure when doing off center subject to avoid washing out and contrasting from over exposure.

Thanks! I do use mostly the AP mode, but I set my camera to BBF(back button focus) and man, sometimes it takes forever to get it to focus! I have heard some people say they get supersharp focus using the BBF but some people rather the shutterbutton to focus, I think I will try switching back to the shutter button focus, come to think of it, I want to say right when I switched to BBF is when I started using AP mode.. I guess I will need to try switching back. Thanks again!

Top Bottom