Louisiana DMV data breach

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Again, the VPN thing, he never said anything about it related to the state hack, but you’re dodging my question, so Nevermind. I’m just curious as to why you’d say people don’t need to use a VPN (especially after you just admitted that you do for he very reason that you should….SMH…) and why would anyone want to take a chance that they won’t win the ID theft lottery because you say freezing your credit isn’t necessary? For someone who’s known for reaming folks here over advice you feel is bad, you sure porked the pooch on that one. I’m laughing in disbelief.
    Next I guess you’ll be telling us we don’t really need car insurance or that yearly physical is just a waste of time.
    Also, since you're the princess of pettyness, I'd like to note that I didn't dodge your question. You didn't even ask a question - you just made a statement, to which I responded. I would have gladly given more details had you asked to me to expound on it.

1687391697062.png

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Blah blah blah, I'm not playing your silly game of nitpicking arguments, especially when you're the queen of ignoring others when questioned.

You asked why I'm saying people don't need VPNs. Because there isn't a compelling argument to use a VPN when on a secured network.

VPNs route your traffic through the network you're on via an encrypted channel through another network and then to the internet as a whole. That's an overly general generalization, but that's the gist of how they work.

They slow your internet down and still leave you open to data leakage on the normal internet as is. They simply make it less likely that your data is intercepted on the WiFi that you're on.

You can still get "hacked" via a VPN. You can still lose data via a VPN. And you can still have your accounts compromised via a VPN. And wait for it - you can still be tracked even when using a VPN. They don't offer some magical layer of protection, but they do hinder your connection to the internet and can interrupt some of the cookies that keep you logged in.

Where a VPN makes sense is when you are on an unsecured network so you aren't as vulnerable to a man in the middle attack.

As for the freezing of the credit thing - it's a pain in the butt to undo down the line. Meanwhile, credit and identify theft monitoring is free/cheap and works well. For the masses, it's a better option than a blanket statement of "go lock your credit down."
    Haha! My game? That’s top shelf comedy right there bro. Thank you for that. And thanks for finally coming through with some answers as to why you feel things are not necessary. Hope I wasn’t asking too much. I do understand it’s a drag when people all the sudden want an explanation. But yeah, couple of the guys already helped me out with that, so I’m good.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Blah blah blah, I'm not playing your silly game of nitpicking arguments, especially when you're the queen of ignoring others when questioned.

You asked why I'm saying people don't need VPNs. Because there isn't a compelling argument to use a VPN when on a secured network.

VPNs route your traffic through the network you're on via an encrypted channel through another network and then to the internet as a whole. That's an overly general generalization, but that's the gist of how they work.

They slow your internet down and still leave you open to data leakage on the normal internet as is. They simply make it less likely that your data is intercepted on the WiFi that you're on.

You can still get "hacked" via a VPN. You can still lose data via a VPN. And you can still have your accounts compromised via a VPN. And wait for it - you can still be tracked even when using a VPN. They don't offer some magical layer of protection, but they do hinder your connection to the internet and can interrupt some of the cookies that keep you logged in.

Where a VPN makes sense is when you are on an unsecured network so you aren't as vulnerable to a man in the middle attack.

As for the freezing of the credit thing - it's a pain in the butt to undo down the line. Meanwhile, credit and identify theft monitoring is free/cheap and works well. For the masses, it's a better option than a blanket statement of "go lock your credit down."
    I use a VPN on my souped up ;) Fire Cube so that my ISP cannot see what I am watching (helping myself to). The internet streaming guru I use insists that his followers use a VPN when streaming "free" sh1t! My ISP (and I'm sure everyone else's does too), sees (at least can if they wanted to), everything I do on their side of the box. I think that privacy invasion sucks, but that goes with their service.

Lower_LA

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2023
    Sweet Lake
    The rationale is that it's likely not necessary as most people won't be targets of criminals trying to open new credit accounts with the stolen data. As you know, you have to call all three agencies individually and then if you want to unfreeze your credit, you have to do the same thing over again. If you don't plan on opening new credit cards, auto loans, or what not in the foreseeable future, it's not a big deal. But it's easy to forget that you've added freezes with the bureaus when opening a new CC.

There is a net positive to freezing your accounts, but it's also probably not necessary.

Someone responded above to this thread that some think his VPN is unnecessary. A VPN has nothing to do with data being stolen from the state.

Aside from that, I'd argue that for most people, a VPN is unnecessary as well in most cases.

I use a VPN when I'm on public WiFi, and that's about it.
    My data was hacked from the PERSCOM breach some years back. With information that they could do almost anything.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I use a VPN on my souped up ;) Fire Cube so that my ISP cannot see what I am watching (helping myself to). The internet streaming guru I use insists that his followers use a VPN when streaming "free" sh1t! My ISP (and I'm sure everyone else's does too), sees (at least can if they wanted to), everything I do on their side of the box. I think that privacy invasion sucks, but that goes with their service.
    That's certainly a perk of it, but it's also not a complete guarantee that your ISP can't see what you're doing. I guess it's better than not.

My data was hacked from the PERSCOM breach some years back. With information that they could do almost anything.
    Yup. Have any of y'all done the "dark web" searches of your information? Most of it is already out there as is.

For the average Joe, you're much more likely to be damaged via basic phishing than someone getting your data as part of a massive breach. Every single day I see posts in my neighborhood's FB group about folks that fell for phishing texts or emails. Every day my company sends out "phishing tests" to employees across the world and people still fail them by clicking on the fake links.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    my wife’s info was stolen several years ago, so we got monitoring and froze reports. (Free for a year but then started paying)
    We fit the previously mentioned criteria of very seldomly needing a credit check. We created online accounts and I keep the passwords and security questions in my safe. I can unlock quickly.
    BUT, one credit card was issued since the company didn’t bother doing a credit check!! Fortunately the dumb ass that did it used our address so the card was mailed to us. NoT a very smart criminal…
    we recieced fraudulent requests to unlock credit for a couple of years.

we also contacted the IRS, since your tax return can be falsely filed. (I don’t remember the details on what we did exactly.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Anyone you have a current loan with can run it whenever they want frozen or not.
    I guess this^ is not entirely accurate after all! :dunno:

Sent to me on Wednesday from my business bank (7 figure line of credit) & business loan.

Good Morning ******* and *******,

I need you both to temporarily unfreeze your credit at Equifax so that we can pull credit reports.

Let me know when you have unfrozen and then we will let you know when you can freeze it again.

Thanks,

Sr. Vice President
    (504) 585-4572 - office

***********@Regions.com

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    That's certainly a perk of it, but it's also not a complete guarantee that your ISP can't see what you're doing. I guess it's better than not.
    I agree with you, but your ISP, for the most part, doesn't really care what you're watching/doing unless they're being served with DMCA notices about your IP address. There are tons of free ways to test your VPN for encryption, or DNS/WebRTC leaks, but I don't think most people need to worry about that if they're just streaming their favorite movies.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I agree with you, but your ISP, for the most part, doesn't really care what you're watching/doing unless they're being served with DMCA notices about your IP address. There are tons of free ways to test your VPN for encryption, or DNS/WebRTC leaks, but I don't think most people need to worry about that if they're just streaming their favorite movies.
    Right, for the average Joe, you're not doing things that anyone cares about and a VPN only slows you down.

Major

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2020
    Baton Rouge
    I work in a threat intel role at a large corp.

The ransomware group behind the MoveIT breach is called cl0p. Your typical CIS based (Russian) ransomware group. They are very successful and have already extorted tens of millions of dollars from companies prior to their latest campaign.

On their leaks website (http://santat7kpllt6iyvqbr7q4amdv6dzrh6paatvyrzl7ry3zm72zigf4ad.onion/) they have a section that they will not leak any gov related data. I believe them too as they have a reputation to uphold and it brings too much heat from law enforcement. They are just interested in making money from corporations.

Their notice:

notice2.png

The good news for us is that this means the data taken from the Louisiana and Oregon OMVs will never be published by them for anyone to download. So there is SOME sliver of hope there.

Just my 2c.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I work in a threat intel role at a large corp.

The ransomware group behind the MoveIT breach is called cl0p. Your typical CIS based (Russian) ransomware group. They are very successful and have already extorted tens of millions of dollars from companies prior to their latest campaign.

On their leaks website (http://santat7kpllt6iyvqbr7q4amdv6dzrh6paatvyrzl7ry3zm72zigf4ad.onion/) they have a section that they will not leak any gov related data. I believe them too as they have a reputation to uphold and it brings too much heat from law enforcement. They are just interested in making money from corporations.

Their notice:

View attachment 141391

The good news for us is that this means the data taken from the Louisiana and Oregon OMVs will never be published by them for anyone to download. So there is SOME sliver of hope there.

Just my 2c.
    Oh look, honest thieves... LOL

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I guess this^ is not entirely accurate after all! :dunno:

Sent to me on Wednesday from my business bank (7 figure line of credit) & business loan.

Good Morning ******* and *******,

I need you both to temporarily unfreeze your credit at Equifax so that we can pull credit reports.

Let me know when you have unfrozen and then we will let you know when you can freeze it again.

Thanks,

Sr. Vice President
    (504) 585-4572 - office

***********@Regions.com
    I would definitely question that. I’ve had many years of frozen reports, many lines of credits and accounts and the only time I ever received that request is when I asked for something to be changed or new accounts. No way I would unfreeze it unless you requested a new account or some type of line increase. But for just their ongoing maintenance and checks it’s not required and I’d tell them to kick rocks. You can personally call all 3 of the major reporting agencies and they will agree with what I’m saying. If you are not trying to open something new I’d just kick that email to my spam folder and go on with life.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Also just pointing out for those that don’t know there’s more than 3 credit reporting agencies that store credit history. Most lenders use the big 3 so most people freeze the smaller ones and never unfreeze them. My understanding is most of the info they have on file is outdated but it’s still personal history.

I couldn’t remember the names of them so a quick search turned up PRBC, SageStream, Advanced Resolution Service (ARS), and Innovis. Not sure if these companies are still active or not as when I went on my credit freezing kick it was many years ago.

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    Anyone else received a E mail from the DODT / OMV regarding the data breach claiming that your information was indeed breached ?
    My wife got one yesterday and it seems a bit odd since all gubba mint agencies claim that they will not send emails regarding such information via email

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    Anyone else received a E mail from the DODT / OMV regarding the data breach claiming that your information was indeed breached ?
    My wife got one yesterday and it seems a bit odd since all gubba mint agencies claim that they will not send emails regarding such information via email
    I received one late Friday

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I believe they say that they don't ask you to provide any information through email. But I do not recall them saying they will never provide you information to you via email. The fact that the information is generic rather than specific to each recipient makes email the fastest and maybe the best way to get that information out.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom