Louisiana's First Appleseed - Memorial Day Weekend

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Do you really need a sling? I only have one on my AK not my AR or 10/22. I have a sling on my Mosin 91/30 but I dont think they would appreciate me shooting that one.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Yes you need a sling if you want to learn how to build a solid position. Not using a sling will handicap you. Go pick up a cotton web sling for your AR. It is the best one to learn on.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I appreciate the fact hat people are learning to shoot a rifle from position using only a sling for support. I think it is an important skill to know. I have taught many myself. However, I am still a bit unclear about the Appleseed program. Or possibly, I am trying to understand why people are so willing to pay $70 plus the cost of ammo to learn rifle shooting, but we have a harder time convincing them to come to a highpower clinic that costs $10 plus ammo. Is target shooting perceived to be that much harder? Is it more intimidating? Is the fact that Appleseed starts at 25 yards rather than 100 or 200 the deciding factor. As many of you already know, very good rifle training is offered almost monthly. I would like to know how those of you who are interested in one view the other.

If I am available that weekend, I may run over to Sherburn to check it out and see why it is so popular.

Dan

Dan,

Are you planning on having a clinic anytime soon? I was planning on going to the match this weekend and I was going to bring my 14 yo daughter. I was hoping maybe she could talk to Ashlyn or Maddie.

Doug

ulshop

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    lafayette
    There were 23 shooters the first day with people coming from throughout the state; New Orleans to Lake Charles. If I had given it some thought, I would of scheduled it on a non-holiday weekend, about 15 showed up for each of the following two days. For the most part, the weather co-operated.

For a first event I thought it was a great turnout... everyone I talked to had a good time, enjoyed the instruction and said they would definitely come again. Almost everyone had friends/co-corkers that they would bring to another shoot.

I am in the process of scheduling a few more shoots for Shurburne this year and one of the attendees is going to try and get a range and have some events scheduled in the Lake Charles area. As soon as any new dates are set, I'll post them here. If anyone knows of another range or club in the state that would be interested in hosting an event, let me know.

Promoting the shoot in a new state was the difficult part, most had never heard of Appleseed let alone knew what to expect at an event. With this first shoot completed and those that attended helping to spread the word, I'm sure that the program can spread and continue to grow here in Louisiana.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tstevens42
    Top Bottom