LSP Trooper shot on I-10

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    As for your assistance, me personally, i would welcome it, although I would be leary of someone suddenly pulling up behind me while im on a stop. my suggestion would be not to stop unless you can see that the LEO is in trouble of some kind.

I totally understand, and the reasson why I wanted to ask is because I live right by the Butte Larose-Henderson exit and on that strip of I-10 I see it all the time that hispanics do the commun things with the shoulders and hands as saying "not sure of what you are saying" and the poor LEO's almost doing the hand signal thing.

But I know the aproach part would be kinna tricky, I definelty dont want to get cuffed after trying to provide some assistance.

I know a few St. Martin Parish Deputies and they know I'm always willing to help even if its via cellphone but just didnt know how others would see it.

Thanks for the input BD.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I totally understand, and the reasson why I wanted to ask is because I live right by the Butte Larose-Henderson exit and on that strip of I-10 I see it all the time that hispanics do the commun things with the shoulders and hands as saying "not sure of what you are saying" and the poor LEO's almost doing the hand signal thing.

But I know the aproach part would be kinna tricky, I definelty dont want to get cuffed after trying to provide some assistance.

I know a few St. Martin Parish Deputies and they know I'm always willing to help even if its via cellphone but just didnt know how others would see it.

Thanks for the input BD.

I would advise you do not stop. It is one more thing that the officer would have to divide his attention to deal with and could give the BG the opening they need.

What you could do, was contact the local agencies in your area, and make yourself available as an on-call translator. Most will even pay for these services. They could have dispatch call you when they need assistance.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I would advise you do not stop. It is one more thing that the officer would have to divide his attention to deal with and could give the BG the opening they need.

What you could do, was contact the local agencies in your area, and make yourself available as an on-call translator. Most will even pay for these services. They could have dispatch call you when they need assistance.

I did that with Henderson PD and the Chief looked at me like I was Crazy so I figured maybe the service wasnt needed LOL.

I might try to aproach the Sheriff in St. Martin hopefully he dont tell me to push sand too.

Thanks NolaCop.

Last edited:

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    I wonder do any of you LEO's even after years of traffic stops ever get a bit complacent are have to remind yourselves how dangerous it is? I mean it must be exhausting being on guard even after 35 boring traffic stops in one day???

Det.Blair

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Plaquemine, La.
    Letting your guard down will get you killed quick.I do not think that is what happened today though, Suspect came out shooting. I was out there today and I must say the cooperation between all agencies was great. yes, the trooper is doing good. They(suspects) are both pieces of s@#$. yeah they were both hablais no english A@#*&^@. I worked a double police shooting back in the 90's and that was all I thought of while heading up to the interstate. This world today is very dangerous out there.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I was on my way to see my wife and happened to be walking down the hall right behind the trooper that had been shot . He was on a gurney , and chatting it up with the two orderly's and looked to be just fine . There was another trooper walking beside me talking on the phone . I heard him tell somebody " yeah , he took a round in the leg . It'll probably stay , because it will do too much damage to remove it . " He glanced over at me and lowered his voice a little , but I heard something about " his abdomen ... " Later , as I was leaving , I was in the elevator with two troopers . I inquired about the guy and they said he was fine . One of them joked that " he'll probably be back at work next week " .

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    It's nice to hear the troopers were in good spirits on what could have been a very horrible day. Sounds like he'll have plenty of friends in and out checking on him over the holiday weekend.

BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    I wonder do any of you LEO's even after years of traffic stops ever get a bit complacent are have to remind yourselves how dangerous it is? I mean it must be exhausting being on guard even after 35 boring traffic stops in one day???

It is a constant battle not to get complacent. Just like every thing else that you do day in and day out. Ive had a few stops that after I was done I was like "What the heck was I THINKING!!!", but I learn from them and dont make that mistake again.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Confidence and routine behavior will get you KILLED, we preach that every day offshore, once you loose respect for a process or piece of equipment and you think you have "mastered" it, it will smack you down to remind you that you were wrong.

I still say much respect for all the true LEO's who are proud of what they do and wear that uniform with pride every day, takes a special person.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    LOUISIANA STATE POLICE
    COURTESY LOYALTY SERVICE

Colonel Michael D. Edmonson, Superintendent

TROOP A- NEWS RELEASE

July 3, 2010

State Trooper Shot During Traffic Stop on I-10

RAMAH- At 12:15 pm on Saturday, July 03, 2010, a Louisiana State Trooper was shot on Interstate 10 near Ramah while conducting a traffic stop.
    Robert Daniel Armendariz (H/M, 21 years old, from El Paso, TX) was traveling eastbound on the Interstate 10-Atchafalya Basin Bridge near Ramah. A state trooper, who was positioned along the bridge’s shoulder, observed Armendariz’s 2002 white Chevrolet Van exceeding the posted speed limit. The trooper activated his emergency lights and stopped the vehicle at the Ramah exit ramp.

The trooper exited his vehicle and asked the driver to do the same. As Armendariz stepped out of his vehicle, he immediately turned towards the trooper and began firing several shots at the trooper with a handgun. As the trooper took cover behind his patrol car, he was struck twice by bullets from Armendariz’s gun. Armendariz then fled the scene westbound on Interstate 10.

Troopers from State Police Troop I intercepted the van a short time later on Interstate 10 westbound near Henderson. Armendariz and his passenger, Fabian Cruz Herrera (H/M, 20 years old from Houston, TX) were both taken into custody and booked into the St. Martin Parish jail as a fugitives prior to being booked in Iberville Parish. Armendariz will be charged with one count of Attempted First Degree Murder of a Police Officer. Herrera will be charged with Accessory to Attempted First Degree Murder of a Police Officer.

The trooper who was struck by gunfire was treated on the scene by local firefighters and paramedics, and then transported by Acadian Air-Med to Our Lady of the Lake Hospital with non-life threatening injuries to his abdomen and leg. He is currently in stable condition.

“The oath that law enforcement officers give to protect the public must never to be taken for granted. In this incident, a traffic stop for a speeding violation quickly turned into a life and death struggle for one of our troopers.” said Colonel Michael Edmonson, State Police Superintendent. “We are thankful that his injuries were not life-threatening. We pray for him and his family as they recover from this incident. I want to express my sincere gratitude to the troopers, deputies, officers and crime scene technicians who responded to the scene of the shooting and assisted in the quick apprehension of the suspects.”

For more information contact:

Sgt. Markus L. Smith
    Public Affairs Unit
    Louisiana State Police – Headquarters
    Office: (225) 925-6202
    markus.smith@dps.la.gov
    www.LSP.org

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Not to besmirch LSP's professionalism, but I am surprised the two individuals were arrested and not shot dead on the spot. Or rather I wouldn't have been surprised to hear they were killed during another attempt on an officer's life.

I'd love to know what they were running in that van to provoke that reaction.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Not to besmirch LSP's professionalism, but I am surprised the two individuals were arrested and not shot dead on the spot. Or rather I wouldn't have been surprised to hear they were killed during another attempt on an officer's life.

I'd love to know what they were running in that van to provoke that reaction.

I would love to know why too Cat, why they did it.

I would think it was on video.

whitjct

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Confidence and routine behavior will get you KILLED, we preach that every day offshore, once you loose respect for a process or piece of equipment and you think you have "mastered" it, it will smack you down to remind you that you were wrong.

I still say much respect for all the true LEO's who are proud of what they do and wear that uniform with pride every day, takes a special person.

Your right Pablo.....ROUTINE should be eliminated from your vocabulary and actions while working. They stressed this alot in training

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom