M1 Garand loads

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    About to start developing a couple of loads for the M1 Garand. Actually 4 loads: a 150 grain GI duplicate, a 125-130 grain short range, light recoil load for introducing nieces and nephews to the Garand, a more serious target load, and a hunting load. Has anyone got a favorite they want to share/brag about? :)

I'm also looking to join a club with a rifle line >100 yards. I can safely shoot out to 200 at my hunting lease, but have to make sure my range sessions don't conflict with anyone else being on the property. It takes me about the same amount of time to get to Donaldsonville and Arnaudville. Is there anybody who's been to both Palo Alto and the Fuselier Complex and can offer a comparison?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    48.0gr of 4895 (H or IMR) with a 150 or lighter. 46.0gr of 4895 with a 168 or 175. If you want to hunt, replace one of the above bullets with a similar weight hunting bullet.

I haven't been to Fusilier, but I am pretty certain they do not currently have comparable facilities to Palo Alto. Palo Alto has the only 600 yard KD range in the state. The AMU travels there every year to practice and compete. They shoot all over the US and Palo Alto is one of there favorite ranges to shoot at. That is a pretty good indication of the quality of the facilities.

Dan

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Of the two, (and I have been to both more than once) I would lean towards Palo Alto due to them having a 600 yard rifle line (I am bias to shooting rifles) where as Fuselier has only 300 yard line. Now if all of your shooting is going to be 300 and in then Fuselier might get the edge as they have about 30 concrete benches with a covered awning. The pistol bay is so so, but they do offer a trap field with a hand thrower I believe. I do not think Palo Alto has a trap area but I am sure someone will be along shortly to confirm or deny.

Both are nice facilities.

Top Bottom