Make a AR Scout Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunbeaux

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Boothville La.
    Years ago before I retired I owned a Ruger Scout Rifle and a Mossberg MVP but when I retired I got rid of most of my guns, I am thinking on putting together a AR style scout rifle, I have at present a A2 lower ar15 and a 20 inch 5.56 upper like I used to carry in the army just legal I am thinking of using a 300 black out upper ( could be used to hunt Deer ) or what other cal would you recommend

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Ar platform they have quite a few diff ones… have to figure out what kinda hunting and distance… have 450, 30ar, 6.8spc, 350 legend ect ect ect.. they come up with a new flavor every year that some how is the next best thing and is way better than the year befores best thing caliber lol…

Gunbeaux

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Boothville La.
    What do you consider a "AR style scout rifle" to be? What do you intend to use it for?
    something easy to carry and use could be used to hunt deer size game and ward off 2 leg varmints put a long eye relief scope like a Vortex use AR style mags Something like the bolt action scout rifles but on a AR platform

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Ok so an AR in .223 or .300BO with a 16”-18” barrel with a long relief scope probably 2x7 and 10 round mags maybe a 20. Sling and Bipod ?

Yes it would work.
    Though if you could stand the extra weight, an AR10 in .308 with a 18” barrel, entry length stock, and a good LPV (or even a long eye relief scout scope) would be my personal preference.

Murgatroyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2023
    Somewhere nice
    If you want to prioritize making it light weight, handy and easy to shoot, I'd go for a build like this:

- KE Arms KP-15 lower receiver ($70 on Brownells)
    - Schmid Gun Nuts 2-stage AR lower parts kit ($132 on Primary Arms)
    - PSA 16" Mid-length pencil 5.56 NATO 1:7 nitride 13.5" lightweight M-LOK upper W/ BCG AND CH ($339.99 on Palmetto State Armory)
    - Primary Arms SLx 5X (or 3X, your preference) MicroPrism scope with the Aurora Reticle ($319-$399)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total: $942 with optic

This build will weigh right around 6lbs with a loaded 30-round magazine in the gun, and you can save more weight by using 10-20 round magazines. You'll have a nice match-grade trigger and a good, solid optic that will let you hit anything that you can see. You don't need a long eye relief scope with something like this. Accuracy with a pencil barrel is totally fine. You might be able to score some good deals on these items during Black Friday sales.

Gunbeaux

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Boothville La.
    If you want to prioritize making it light weight, handy and easy to shoot, I'd go for a build like this:

- KE Arms KP-15 lower receiver ($70 on Brownells)
    - Schmid Gun Nuts 2-stage AR lower parts kit ($132 on Primary Arms)
    - PSA 16" Mid-length pencil 5.56 NATO 1:7 nitride 13.5" lightweight M-LOK upper W/ BCG AND CH ($339.99 on Palmetto State Armory)
    - Primary Arms SLx 5X (or 3X, your preference) MicroPrism scope with the Aurora Reticle ($319-$399)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total: $942 with optic

This build will weigh right around 6lbs with a loaded 30-round magazine in the gun, and you can save more weight by using 10-20 round magazines. You'll have a nice match-grade trigger and a good, solid optic that will let you hit anything that you can see. You don't need a long eye relief scope with something like this. Accuracy with a pencil barrel is totally fine. You might be able to score some good deals on these items during Black Friday sales.
    Thanks

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom