Make a AR Scout Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunbeaux

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Boothville La.
    Years ago before I retired I owned a Ruger Scout Rifle and a Mossberg MVP but when I retired I got rid of most of my guns, I am thinking on putting together a AR style scout rifle, I have at present a A2 lower ar15 and a 20 inch 5.56 upper like I used to carry in the army just legal I am thinking of using a 300 black out upper ( could be used to hunt Deer ) or what other cal would you recommend

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Ar platform they have quite a few diff ones… have to figure out what kinda hunting and distance… have 450, 30ar, 6.8spc, 350 legend ect ect ect.. they come up with a new flavor every year that some how is the next best thing and is way better than the year befores best thing caliber lol…

Gunbeaux

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Boothville La.
    What do you consider a "AR style scout rifle" to be? What do you intend to use it for?
    something easy to carry and use could be used to hunt deer size game and ward off 2 leg varmints put a long eye relief scope like a Vortex use AR style mags Something like the bolt action scout rifles but on a AR platform

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Ok so an AR in .223 or .300BO with a 16”-18” barrel with a long relief scope probably 2x7 and 10 round mags maybe a 20. Sling and Bipod ?

Yes it would work.
    Though if you could stand the extra weight, an AR10 in .308 with a 18” barrel, entry length stock, and a good LPV (or even a long eye relief scout scope) would be my personal preference.

Murgatroyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2023
    Somewhere nice
    If you want to prioritize making it light weight, handy and easy to shoot, I'd go for a build like this:

- KE Arms KP-15 lower receiver ($70 on Brownells)
    - Schmid Gun Nuts 2-stage AR lower parts kit ($132 on Primary Arms)
    - PSA 16" Mid-length pencil 5.56 NATO 1:7 nitride 13.5" lightweight M-LOK upper W/ BCG AND CH ($339.99 on Palmetto State Armory)
    - Primary Arms SLx 5X (or 3X, your preference) MicroPrism scope with the Aurora Reticle ($319-$399)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total: $942 with optic

This build will weigh right around 6lbs with a loaded 30-round magazine in the gun, and you can save more weight by using 10-20 round magazines. You'll have a nice match-grade trigger and a good, solid optic that will let you hit anything that you can see. You don't need a long eye relief scope with something like this. Accuracy with a pencil barrel is totally fine. You might be able to score some good deals on these items during Black Friday sales.

Gunbeaux

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Boothville La.
    If you want to prioritize making it light weight, handy and easy to shoot, I'd go for a build like this:

- KE Arms KP-15 lower receiver ($70 on Brownells)
    - Schmid Gun Nuts 2-stage AR lower parts kit ($132 on Primary Arms)
    - PSA 16" Mid-length pencil 5.56 NATO 1:7 nitride 13.5" lightweight M-LOK upper W/ BCG AND CH ($339.99 on Palmetto State Armory)
    - Primary Arms SLx 5X (or 3X, your preference) MicroPrism scope with the Aurora Reticle ($319-$399)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total: $942 with optic

This build will weigh right around 6lbs with a loaded 30-round magazine in the gun, and you can save more weight by using 10-20 round magazines. You'll have a nice match-grade trigger and a good, solid optic that will let you hit anything that you can see. You don't need a long eye relief scope with something like this. Accuracy with a pencil barrel is totally fine. You might be able to score some good deals on these items during Black Friday sales.
    Thanks

Top Bottom