Marlin 336 Problem

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmbfullauto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    Alexandria
    Hello all... seeking help with a problem with a marlin 336. The rifle was passed down to a nephew from the other side of the family tree, so not sure who or what it has had to endure in terms of maintenance or lack thereof. Issue is a stuck bolt. Does not seem to have rusted in place, but it will not budge even with a wooden dowel and a platic hammer. Have seen 336's assembled incorrectly in which the extractor isnt seated properly, but in the cases I experienced before the bolt would move at least a quarter of an inch or such... this one will not move at all. I recieved it in a box... disassembled of course, so again their is no telling what has been done to it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks and be safe!

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Did it work after you assembled it? If its a matter of rust, spray it down with Kroil or PB Blaster. If its an assembly issue, disassemble it and reassemble it while watching a YouTube video about it.

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    I would ask the same questions? Did it work after you reassembled it? If the scope mount screws or the scope filler screws (no scope) are screwed too far in, they will interfere with the movement of the bolt.

The other problem could be that the ejector which fits into the left side of the receiver and a channel milled into the side of the bolt is installed incorrectly. A button on the ejector protrudes through a hole on the left side plate and should be flush. If the button is not flush or not visible the problem is with the ejector.

Last edited:

dmbfullauto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    Alexandria
    Thanks for the replys... I havent put it together yet... I was hoping the scope base screws were the issue, but once removed the bolt still didnt budge. I have been soaking it the past couple of days... bore scope didnt reveal reveal a buildup of rust. I am leaning to the extractor... youtube and other forums alluded tothe extractor as well and mentioned tapping the bolt with a dowel rod. I tried this once already and broke the rod. Wonder if someone may have galled up the bolt by installing the lever incorrectly? I have the lever out and there isnt any galling on the surfaces that go into the bolt. Sure sucks when things come in in a box and you need a hammer to work on it? Nephews! They sure keep me on my toes... literally!

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    You have the lever out? How did you get the lever out if the bolt is stuck?
    Did you know you're supposed to open the lever halfway before removing the screw and pulling the lever out?

Mr Sid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Avoyelles Parish
    Sandman has a point, the lever should not come out with the bolt closed. May be silly question, but is the locking lug still in the action? It prevents the bolt from opening when fired. When in place the bolt will not come out.

Mr Sid

RIP Boscoyo

dmbfullauto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    Alexandria
    Lever was out when I got it... the barrel, magazine, and reciever are all together with everything else taken off. I have had them apart before to polish up triggers and have replaced a few extractors, but I have never had one locked up like this. Pretty sure it is jammed up due to the extactor... can not see the tab in the slot on the recever as mentioned above. Just tried again to tap it out after soaking and it still will not move at all.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I know my way around a marlin but without looking at it it's hard to say. Remove the trigger plate and everything else if not already and see what happens.

BillnLA

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Albany
    The lever normally disengages the locking lug. If the bolt is completely closed it is likely locked in place, not that serious.

Tap on the top of the receiver and see if the locking lug drops and disengages from the bolt. You can reach in and pull it down too.

Once it is out of the way you might be able to simply tap the butt on the floor to get the bolt moving or you can use a cleaning rod or dowel down the barrel to push it back.

If the locking lug is out of the way, the bolt will move fairly easily.

BillnLA

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Albany
    Here is a picture of how the internals look when in place. You can see the locking lug and the lever connected near the back of the bolt.

howleverworks2.jpg

dmbfullauto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    Alexandria
    Thanks to all... got the bolt out. The "shell carrier" was wedged inside at an angle. Not really sure what happened but I imagine someone screwed with the lever and did not put it in with the bolt positioned to align the lugs. Miced the internals affected but not sure if they are damaged so I am ordering replacement guts. Someone was definately in her because the extractor is missing. I think to relax from this repair I am going to take one of my dan wessons apart and see if I can reproduce the piano springs using paper clips.... NOT! Thanks again to all for the help

Top Bottom