Marlin 45/70 abomination or practical?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I haven't bought a firearm in what seems forever. Today, this came across my feed. I may actually buy one. Does this make me a bad person?
    23712-DEFAULT-l.jpg

twinin

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Lever guns were red hot recently and just starting to cool off.

I've been thinking about a modernized 45/70. Weight and price keep me from going through with it.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Arent they just abusive to your shoulder tho? Ive never shot a lever but have shot many single shots and its just not enjoyable to shoot as a fun gun. They have their purpose but a 3030 serves that purpose for me. I could be wrong though. I may need to come shoot one of those units you have picture...?

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Arent they just abusive to your shoulder tho? Ive never shot a lever but have shot many single shots and its just not enjoyable to shoot as a fun gun. They have their purpose but a 3030 serves that purpose for me. I could be wrong though. I may need to come shoot one of those units you have picture...?
    In general, the .45/70 Govt. recoils about like a standard long-action cartridge, say a .30-06.
    For hunting inside of 100 yards (or so), the .45/70 is a f**kin' hammer.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    106   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Naaa not to bad.. but when im
    Playing I don’t usually shoot the HOT loads… generally play with cowboy level loads… 405gr hard cast @ 1300fps or less if Im shooting suppressed

Now some of my hunting hand loads 405gr coated hard cast @1900fps or 300gr hp @2000fps are a real thumper… but majority of the time I use 350gr subsonic expendables suppressed @1100fps

Gumby Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2024
    Jackson Ms metro
    Feel the force Luke , one must accept the urge, nothing but the purchase can scratch the itch, once you have itched that scratch then and only then can you decide whether it’s from the dark side or the good side

Top Bottom