Martial Arts Weapons in Zombie Apocalypse

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    [h=1]I'd want one or possibly dual wield two of these!

Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri 12" VG-1 San Mai III Steel
    [/h]
    703nym960k83sf67pina.jpg

Pricey at $400 each though!
    http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Gu...64452&sr=8-4&keywords=Cold+Steel+Gurkha+Kukri

dbradgriffith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Waveland, MS
    Do u own one of these? I have always been curious about what constitutes these knives being so expensive. I am not mocking or ridiculing anyone at all here. I just want to know what would make that kurki worth nearly 20 times the value of a regular one. They wouldn't be making or selling them if people didn't buy them for that price. I understand that when u pay $3000 for a gun u are getting a superior functioning weapon with all of its mechanics being fine tuned for performance and reliability (at least in theory). But how could a bladed weapon be that superior? Please educate me as I buy my knives on clearance at Walmart. Seriously not making fun here. I am sure there is a logic to this that I just don't understand.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Do u own one of these? I have always been curious about what constitutes these knives being so expensive. I am not mocking or ridiculing anyone at all here. I just want to know what would make that kurki worth nearly 20 times the value of a regular one. They wouldn't be making or selling them if people didn't buy them for that price. I understand that when u pay $3000 for a gun u are getting a superior functioning weapon with all of its mechanics being fine tuned for performance and reliability (at least in theory). But how could a bladed weapon be that superior? Please educate me as I buy my knives on clearance at Walmart. Seriously not making fun here. I am sure there is a logic to this that I just don't understand.
    Here is a short and simple answer for ya. More expensive knives, in theory, have better steel, are forged better, are treated better, hold better edges, are less likely to snap, have better mechanisms (if not a straight edge), and are just all around better.

Quick example: My SOG Seal Team Elite can be hit with a hammer and used to drive through stuff. It can also be used to pry with. On cheaper knives, the blade would (and I have witnessed this) snap.

Same with a gun. A H&K and a cheap $100 pistol might shoot the same bullet, but one of those is less likely to break or jam up.

dbradgriffith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Waveland, MS
    I get that. I don't carry or even extensively use a knife on any kind of a regular basis. I guess that is why the Gerber drop point from Wally World has held as well as it has. Like u said its the difference between a recreational shooter like myself being fine with a $500-800 sidearm and the LE officer or soldier spending $2000-5000 on their weapons because for them a mechanical malfunction could mean their life. So thanks for breaking that down for me. And by the way the SOG seal knives are freaking awesome looking. I know that is not why u bought yours I'm sure, but it had to be said.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I get that. I don't carry or even extensively use a knife on any kind of a regular basis. I guess that is why the Gerber drop point from Wally World has held as well as it has. Like u said its the difference between a recreational shooter like myself being fine with a $500-800 sidearm and the LE officer or soldier spending $2000-5000 on their weapons because for them a mechanical malfunction could mean their life. So thanks for breaking that down for me. And by the way the SOG seal knives are freaking awesome looking. I know that is not why u bought yours I'm sure, but it had to be said.
    Nah, they look pretty awesome, are practical, and are fairly cheap. I am actually about to acquire another Seal Team Elite or a Seal Pup Elite from Ebay for somewhere between $35 and $55 or so. If you were to get one, don't buy it from SOG as their markup is terrible. Amazon or Ebay are the way to go!

dbradgriffith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Waveland, MS
    Nah, they look pretty awesome, are practical, and are fairly cheap. I am actually about to acquire another Seal Team Elite or a Seal Pup Elite from Ebay for somewhere between $35 and $55 or so. If you were to get one, don't buy it from SOG as their markup is terrible. Amazon or Ebay are the way to go!
    Actually my local Walmart has the seal pup for 49.95. And at Christmas time every year they get a bunch of the SOG fast hawks. But apparently looking my wife dead in the eye and saying "I want one of those this year" is a little too subtle. So I think I will just buy my own present this year.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Out of bordem and perhaps insanity, one might want to ask if one is conditioned and trained to use a "martial arts weapon", as one might acquire plenty of weapons at the hardware store, but less the training makes one a dead duck. Most of such are absolutely impractical; the goal in a zombie apocalypse, a trend which should have died ages ago, is to survive without being bitten or scratched, and to kill the waves of flesh-eating undead with as minimal exposure as possible while also dealing enough damage to incapacitate or eliminate the threat. Quite frankly, the whole notion is bogus, and is fool hearty, but for entertainment's sake, why not?

I think Nediman nailed it. It's about keeping the zombie away while keeping him deader than a Shakspearean doornail. If I had a choice, a bowie would be nice, or perhaps the Lee Enfeld bayonet in the closet, but this cripple has a fat chance of outrunning the flesheaters.

Perhaps a long screwdriver or a hammer of some sort might suffice. Most store-bought axes are a sorry excuse for an axe, poorly ground and of some sort of subpar steel, but might also work assuming the user is fit enough to weild one, and understands the usage of a hawk. Truly, one must realize facts are the best weapon for slaying the brainless undead, as while they yet do not consume flesh, they do vote for two false parties and a Muslim dictator..........

Swampman1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    south La.
    If my .223 reloading count continues to grow, I will find that a lot easier to eliminate the zombies than hand to hand combat! :)

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    I know im a newbe,but my thoughts on this would be a 10ft wooden staff,you can do a lot such as keep zombies away,crack ther skulls,prod to see if they are still living,or just to keep things at a distance! It also depends on what type of zombies they are,regular or juju

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cherry-Bandit
    Top Bottom