Marvin Heemeyer was a nutjob!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    What I've always wondered is why these guys (school shooters and rampage crazies) always off themselves vs fighting till the end.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    What I've always wondered is why these guys (school shooters and rampage crazies) always off themselves vs fighting till the end.
    prolly suicidal anyway and just want to take some folks with them I imagine. Don't think this guy was trying to off anybody but damn he did some damage

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    prolly suicidal anyway and just want to take some folks with them I imagine. Don't think this guy was trying to off anybody but damn he did some damage

I saw a a longer video on this incident awhile back and he fired a lot of shots at people. Specifically one of the people he went after got into his own bulldozer to protect his property was fired upon but was able to protect himself by raising the bucket to block incoming.

But yeah, I think it is pretty fair to say he was suicidal.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    RCM your post was pretty douchey memorializing criminals and terrorist isnt cool. He tried to murder several innocent people during his rampage.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    If he was a Jihadi and had done the exact same thing what would we call him?
    The definition of terrorist is more about the motivations than the specific type of crimes committed. If you're going to swap around a person's motivations as if it doesn't matter, then you may as well be saying all murderers, all assailants, and all intimidaters are terrorists.

The guy was not of a differing ideology, belief system, nation (geographic, religious, or racial) and was not committing this act as a matter of revolution or war.

It was a guy who basically went postal. He was disgruntled with the people he was working with in his small podunk town, and he went on a spree with serious weapons. He didn't even kill anyone who didn't have it coming (he's the only one dead) and hell, many witnesses claimed he went out of his way to not directly harm people's lives, though that's obvious going to be a controversial opinion.

It was a disgruntled psycho who snapped and caused millions of dollars in damages to property to "settle" some perceived slight against him, personally, and was acting on his own behalf, and not on behalf of a nation/religion/people.

I think 'terrorism' is grossly misapplied in this country with disastrous effects.

This guy isn't one. That's not to diminish or downplay his crimes in any way... it's just not terrorism.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    IIRC- Didn't Osama Bin Laden's father attempt to weaponize heavy equipment he owned in a crazy plan to invade Israel once?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The definition of terrorist is more about the motivations than the specific type of crimes committed. If you're going to swap around a person's motivations as if it doesn't matter, then you may as well be saying all murderers, all assailants, and all intimidaters are terrorists.

The guy was not of a differing ideology, belief system, nation (geographic, religious, or racial) and was not committing this act as a matter of revolution or war.

It was a guy who basically went postal. He was disgruntled with the people he was working with in his small podunk town, and he went on a spree with serious weapons. He didn't even kill anyone who didn't have it coming (he's the only one dead) and hell, many witnesses claimed he went out of his way to not directly harm people's lives, though that's obvious going to be a controversial opinion.

It was a disgruntled psycho who snapped and caused millions of dollars in damages to property to "settle" some perceived slight against him, personally, and was acting on his own behalf, and not on behalf of a nation/religion/people.

I think 'terrorism' is grossly misapplied in this country with disastrous effects.

This guy isn't one. That's not to diminish or downplay his crimes in any way... it's just not terrorism.

He shot many rounds at multiple people. Many of the buildings he destroyed, including a library full of kids, were evacuated only seconds before he rammed them. He had every intention of killing people. The fact that he really sucked at it and failed miserably doesn't make him any less of a piece of ****.

And if you read more of the backstory it appears no one really screwed him out of anything. He was just a huge dush* who blamed other people for his problems but first and foremost was just a loon. I don't think you "snap" one day and spend that much time building that machine. He was full time crazy who already had a plan and was just looking for/making excuses to kill people.

*For the old fogies: dush = douche

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Richard Reid The Shoe Bomber didn't kill or
    Injure anyone. He was clearly a terrorist.
    Hippie kids that torch fur farms don't hurt anyone
    And they are terrorist. Here is my definition; he used violence, fear, and property damage to further his
    Agenda and didn't care that the people he could have hurt or killed or who's
    Property he damaged were innocent.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Me personally, I think we need to reserve the word "terrorist" and not throw it around all willie nillie at nut cases. I mean, if that were the case, when we read about a naked guy chasing boys around the woods trying to have "relations" with them we would immediately call him a "terrorist", when in fact his official title would be "scout leader".

h0B03EC01

Kidding! kidding! Dont taze me bro.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Richard Reid The Shoe Bomber didn't kill or
    Injure anyone. He was clearly a terrorist.
    Hippie kids that torch fur farms don't hurt anyone
    And they are terrorist.
    Exactly! It's not about the damage you do or don't do, but about /why/ it was done. The motivations or goal is the real cause here.

Here is my definition; he used violence, fear, and property damage to further his
    Agenda and didn't care that the people he could have hurt or killed or who's
    Property he damaged were innocent.
    Yes, but /what/ his 'agenda' was is the important factor in determining whether or not terrorism applies. If it were to further the goals of some Palestinian regime; then certainly. If it were to publicize the cause of supreme Gaia and strike a blow to the arrogant consumerists ruining our planet; absolutely.

If it's a nut job who went around killing people because he's nuts, no. He's just a nut. His agenda was his own, not part of a "greater good" he sacrificed himself for, or struck blows on behalf of.

Thinking otherwise is how we end up with the politician-written definition of domestic terrorism in the US Code, which I feel is broad enough that it's been abused and misapplied to simple cases of criminal behavior, in order to treat suspects as terrorists rather than civilian criminals, which warrants different treatment:
    (2) the term "terrorism" means premeditated, politically motivated violence
    perpetrated against non-combatant targets by subnational groups or
    clandestine agents; and
    http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/65464.pdf

Whereas, for reference, the FBI goes into lengthy detail as to what 'defines' terrorism, in order to establish a clear methodology and principle of thought behind the definition as well as citing examples and what /made/ it terrorism, here in this publication: http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/terrorism-2002-2005/terror02_05#terror_05if

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sollidus_
    Top Bottom