Mechanic help?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I only disagree with the part about the thermostat functioning to keep the water in the radiator longer to cool it off more. If the coolant is at or above the set temperature the thermostat can do nothing to restrict the flow. It's not a smart device and only opens or closes based on temperature. And by keeping coolant in the radiator longer (which would cool better) it would also be keeping coolant in the engine block longer (which causes that coolant to heat up more). So any advantage would seem to be lost overall.

If I'm wrong about those two things (thermostat's ability to restrict flow under excess heat, overall system heat under restricted flow) please explain. I don't like carrying around incorrect information and I take no pride in being right or wrong. I just want to know the correct answer. I'm really anxious to find out what the problem with the Neon is (or at least what cures it).
    The thermostat, as someone else just pointed out, acts as a restriction that limits the flow through the radiator. When you remove the thermostat it is possible for the water to pass through the radiator before it has had adequate time to lose its heat. In NASCAR they replace the thermostat with a needle valve affair that can be finely tuned to maintain the temperature they want BUT that engine operates in a small RPM range that remains fairly constant throughout the race and they have special procedures used during warm-up that saves the wear that one gets with an engine that does not have a thermostat.

Granted, it CAN work out that a particular engine/radiator combination can run just fine without a thermostat but that is the exception to the rule, NOT the norm. Modern cooling systems are carefully designed to maintain a constant operation temperature throughout all seasons and the thermostat is the heart and brain of that system. Engines run most efficiently at a particular temp and the ignition and fuel systems are also optimized to operate at those temperatures. Take out the thermostat and you have just thrown the whole system out of whack.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    One thing I haven't seen brought up yet.

Most cars these days have an air deflector under the front bumper to channel air to the radiator. When this piece is knocked off, the vehicle can overheat when everything else is working properly. Make sure you have a small black strip of plastic going across the car below the front bumper behind an opening in the lower part of the front facia.

That matters when the car is in motion but his problem also happens at rest which would be a fan/fan shroud issue as the car SHOULD be able to idle for a good bit without overheating although in the Louisiana Summers most cars will SLOWLY heat up all the way to the overheating point IF allowed to idle long enough.

Top Bottom