Military Brand weapon of choice for rifles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    So the question is this. Aside from Special Ops, Rangers, SEALS, the whole "Secret Squirrel People", what brand rifle is being deployed to our troops?

Is it Colt, BCM, what? If not a single manufacturer, what would you say the ratio is?

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    No clue about ratios, but Colt and FN do supply weapons for ground forces. I'm sure others are used as subcontractors to help meet demand (BCM, DD, etc).

RagManBR

Have gun, will travel.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    FN has the bulk of the small arms contracts. At one time it was around 80-85%. The obvious exception is the M9 (Beratta 92).

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Current M16 rifles have been made primarily by FN USA since 1988. However, Colt remains the sole source for M4 carbines for the US military.

per wikipedia's entry for Colt Defense.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Not for long. There's leaked reports of both the Marines and the Army pulling ALL of the Colt's out of service, and replacing them with Wyndham Weaponry rifles equipped with UTG piston conversions.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Not for long. There's leaked reports of both the Marines and the Army pulling ALL of the Colt's out of service, and replacing them with Wyndham Weaponry rifles equipped with UTG piston conversions.

i-see-what-you-did-there-300x237.jpg

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    So they want the "more reliable" ones? I only ask because I am oblivious as to what would be more suitable for them. I always thought that the armed forces were equipped with the lowest bid weaponry/contracts. I would like more insight personally I think they deserve the best although price doesn't always indicate that.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    The first M-16 I was issued was a GM Hydramatic and it had no park left on the barrel and quite a bit of polished places on the receiver.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    So they want the "more reliable" ones? I only ask because I am oblivious as to what would be more suitable for them. I always thought that the armed forces were equipped with the lowest bid weaponry/contracts. I would like more insight personally I think they deserve the best although price doesn't always indicate that.

Nothing about this statement is true. Cost is never the deciding factor in small arms procurement. The selected weapon must meet all the requirements before cost is even considered. Even then it isn't a decider.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You forgot the key component... the slidefire stock. I also heard they have a contract with sightmark to start producing night vision compatible holosights.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    As for which companies have what percentages, I am unsure. However, I have seen multiple SCAR's both 16's and 17's in deployment as well as a few ACR's. I doubt they are service rifles, more along the lines of for testing.

I do know that ( as posted above ) the M16's and belt fed guns are all FN. I don't see that changing either.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    I dont see where people are getting the idea that "all" the m16's are FN.

i've come across several m16's that came out of random machine companies that I've never even heard of.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    So they do their own form of torture testing to decide which manufacture to go with?

No they write a requirement. Then request submissions from company's who have a weapon that meets the stated requirement. Those that are submitted and meet the requirement are then tested through several phases. Finally they may or may not be purchased and fielded.

Ant m16s you have seen from multiple small subcontra@tors are very old and probably relugated to TRADOC Commaands and bases. Since 1998 all of the m16 production has been sole sourced to FN.

The SCAR, an FN Product, was evaluated and fielded in a limited way by some SOCOM elements. No Military Unit of any type tested an ACR Overseas. The pics of the ACR isn AFG that were kicked around on the net showed guns belonging to a Non-DoD entitiy who briefly tested them.

Top Bottom