Moving to Baton Rouge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tubbs

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Hey guys. I have been a member here for a little while but the week is upon us. My wife and I will be moving to Baton Rouge this Saturday to start my new job. We are moving to a new city and literally know no one, well except for my new boss and HR lady.

Were in our mid 20's no children and I love to shoot and reload. My wife just graduated with her degree in elem ed so hopefully she can find a job.

I look forward to hopefully meeting some new friends and trying to find a range to call home.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Welcome

There are a couple of ranges in the Baton Rouge area as well as a few "shooting clubs" with really nice people in them.

What area exactly are you moving to, and what kind of shooting do you like to do ?

Company Man

Teufel Hunden
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Kentwood
    Welcome to the jungle!
    It is not too bad, the key is to learn alternate routes around Baton Rouge.

Always look at the clock and ask yourself; do I really need this? Traffic during certain times can turn a quick trip into a journey.

tubbs

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the comments guys. My wife and I will be moving into an Apt on Perkins Rd close to Perkins Rowe. I do all kinds of shooting. Here Im a member to an outdoor range and shoot alot of plates. I have never competed per say but would really like to get into it.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Zachary will have the better public schools. Private schools are popular in BR.

I live in Sherwood Forest and like the area. I've been here almost 5 years.

Traffic sucks here. Avoid commuting over I-12 or I-10 to get to work if you can help it.

Precision is a nice indoor pistol range. They do have 2, 25 yard lanes for rifles.

Sherburne is a nice free outdoor range that is probably under water at the moment.

Pistol Shooting competitions are everywhere (EAPS will probably be the one if you shoot pistols)

We do have CAS around here.

Check with Dan Zelenka (he is a member) if you want to shoot long range rifle stuff.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    BTW, I grew up in Vicksburg. They do a bit more shooting in this state. I never saw or concieved an ammo couch before I moved here.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Thanks for the comments guys. My wife and I will be moving into an Apt on Perkins Rd close to Perkins Rowe. I do all kinds of shooting. Here Im a member to an outdoor range and shoot alot of plates. I have never competed per say but would really like to get into it.

How close will you be to work?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Welcome, Tubbs!

Like BBQLS1 said, Precision Firearms & Range will be in fairly close proximity to where you are moving- they are on Cloverland just off Siegen Lane. Pretty nice indoor range.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    For an indoor range I much prefer Bass Pro in Denham Springs; there is traffic to deal with depending on when you are going, and it's only pistols. But it's a very clean range and you can get an annual pass for unlimited use- $100 for a family, something less if it's just for you.

Hunters Run is across the river in Port Allen- skeet, trap, five stand and some sporting clays, pretty simple pistol and rifle range, but it is covered and they have 7, 25 and 100 yard backstops. It's about $200/year and they still charge a little to use the range, but you have to be a member to use the range.

If your wife doesn't mind driving, she can look at public schools in Zachary; in BR Id suggest private schools unless she's a masochistic. Private schools will pay less, but will have parents who care and a much better work environment. The Episcopal day schools are good, although I only have personal experience with St. Lukes. And there is Christian Life and Runnels, which is private, but not religiously affiliated.

I'd be happy to take you out to Hunters Run if you want, and just keep asking if you need other recommendations- restaurants, etc.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Welcome to BR. Where you're moving (by perkins rowe) suffers some of the worst traffic in town and unless ya'll lead a metro style life you're probably going to hate it in that area. Sorry to be debbie downer. On the bright side we have awsome food here.
    And when Sherburn dries up it's not that far away for shooting.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Welcome to BR. Where you're moving (by perkins rowe) suffers some of the worst traffic in town and unless ya'll lead a metro style life you're probably going to hate it in that area. Sorry to be debbie downer. On the bright side we have awsome food here.

I thought you had to be a gang banger to hang out at Perkins Rowe on the weekends?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

He'll be in walking distance to some good food though.

Top Bottom