My first GAP....*range report*

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Three months isn't a very long time to wait for certain things, but since the beginning of October I've been eagerly calling my voicemail every day when offshore, or double checking the incoming calls when the phone rings at home. I've been looking and listening for a call to come from Kansas City.......well the call came today!:D

Mrs. Ritten and I have been looking to take off for a few days for some R&R and we picked this weekend, but didn't really know where to go. After getting off the phone with Tracy at G.A. Precision I was able to convince my dear wife of how nice it would be to visit the heartland of the country.....say.....somewhere like western Missouri. So when I get off of the rig tomorrow we're packing up the car and heading north to pick up my newly rebuilt rifle. I'll be sure to post some pictures up when I get back in, but I'll list the details below. A full range report will be updated next week as well. For those of you who are familiar with George's work, you probably already have a good idea why I'm stoked!!

The gun was built on a 700vs action:
    Mike Rock barrel #7 Max HV w/ 1-11.25" 5r finished out to 22"
    .308 match chamber cut for 155 scenars
    Badger Ordinance FTE brake
    GAP bolt release mod
    Badger Ordinance M5 DBM w/ 5&10 rnd. mags.
    Manners MCS-GAT right hand stock w/ 4 flush cups & 1 fwd. stud
    Badger Ordinance Tactical bolt knob and recoil lug
    BO 20moa base & med. 30mm rings
    Action, bolt, lugs....all trued

It will be wearing a Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50mm IR for now, but am looking at either a NXS or USO for this gun. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    George builds fine rifles. I know a guy who shoots GAP rifles and is sponcered by Hornady among others. He loves the GAP rifles. I have shot a few and really enjoyed the performance.

I myself am saving up for a TacOps. You cant go wrong with either.

I have owned a few Nightforce scopes and they have much better glass than the Leupold MK4 that I owned even though its still a great scope.

S&B are awesome but I cant afford to spend that on glass. The USO and Premier scopes are really nice. I have shot with them but have not owned them yet.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Well.....we JUST rolled back into town a little while ago. 2300 miles over the last five days and I've got more energy than I would have thought (I wonder why)!!!!

Here she is...
    IMG_5742.jpg

IMG_5745.jpg

IMG_5748.jpg

IMG_5752.jpg

IMG_5753.jpg

I just set the scope on top to get an idea of what it's going to look like, but tonight I'll be placing it where it needs to be, torquing everything down, and getting ready to go shoot tomorrow. Also, I mailed off the order yesterday for a US Optics SN3 3.2-17x44. Tonight I'll load up some 155's and some 175's to see what it likes best. Once the scope gets here the entire system will be getting a home-made Cerakote and Krylon camo job. Range report coming soon!

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Very nice. How do you like the feel of the stock? I have never been a big fan on thumb hole stocks....but it does look comfy.

I really like the stock, but the thumb hole is going to take some getting used to. I always preferred the feel of the pistol grip on my DPMS to most A5 style stocks and I seem to have a more consistent pressure when I can wrap (more like "place") my thumb around the grip rather than over it. However, this will be my first stock that I have to manipulate the bolt without flagging my thumb up. I was torn between the two factors and decided to stay with what I'm more consistent with and just learn how to work around it.

Yet just another fine example of, as Paul Gomez put it, equipment determining your actions and form.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I really like the stock, but the thumb hole is going to take some getting used to. I always preferred the feel of the pistol grip on my DPMS to most A5 style stocks and I seem to have a more consistent pressure when I can wrap (more like "place") my thumb around the grip rather than over it. However, this will be my first stock that I have to manipulate the bolt without flagging my thumb up. I was torn between the two factors and decided to stay with what I'm more consistent with and just learn how to work around it.

Yet just another fine example of, as Paul Gomez put it, equipment determining your actions and form.

Well you have a fine rifle. I have shot several rifles that George has built. They are great.

I look forward to a range report.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Range report

Well you have a fine rifle. I have shot several rifles that George has built. They are great.

I look forward to a range report.

Thanks man. I've been looking forward to owning one of his rifles for a long time and after today I can say that I'm DEFINITELY NOT disappointed!!!! Keep in mind that the rounds I used aren't nearly as consistent as I can get them and the headspacing was all over the place since the brass came from rounds shot through my DPMS. About 5 out of 80 rounds wouldn't even chamber due to the shoulders not being bumped back far enough. At least now I've got some spent casings to measure this chamber with.

I started out shooting the 155's and the gun was holding about 1 1/2" for the first two dozen shots. After a few more the hits were getting closer and closer to my calls and it was grouping much tighter. We spent most of the afternoon ringing steel out at 300 yards with rounds 40 through 60 and I noticed my hits were holding within a few inches at that distance. We were also shooting .30-06 and .17hmr. By late afternoon the sun was getting low and the glare in the scope was washing out the sight picture pretty bad, but I really wanted to get some groups on paper to at least get an idea of what it can do. These are 5 shots with the 175 SMK's at 100yds.

IMG_5762.jpg

And this is a 10 shot string at 100yds. These 10 are rounds 71-80 through the gun and the only reason it's not under .5 moa is cause of a few I pulled.
    IMG_5761.jpg

Once I find the load that the gun likes and get used to the stock I think I may be able to shrink my groups a good bit. With the exception of the first five shots to zero the scope, all of the shots were prone, off a bi-pod, with a rear bean bag. I'm not the type of person to brag about his shooting much and I'll be the first to admit that I have a long way to go before being able to shoot like this in less than perfect conditions, but it's really nice to know that the rifle can do it. Yet another satisfied customer for G.A.P.!

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Just shooting it. I BELIEVE (being the magic word here) that breaking in a match barrel for anything besides bench rest is completely useless, unnecessary, and can hurt your barrel much easier than help it. It will get a good cleaning tonight, but the only time I'll clean it is when I start to see accuracy degrade. From my experience and what others are getting with the Mike Rock barrels (my .30-06 is a Rock) they go 400-500 rounds before they need to be cleaned.

NitroX

You can't fix stupid.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    WOW nice rifle. When you going back to the range as I would like to come check that bad boy out in person :)
    I will let you shoot my .22 Mossberg Plinkster in exchange. Matter of fact *I* will even throw in the bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom