My first wheel gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Alright so I have always really liked the way a revolver felt and shot.. But I always shyed away from purchasing one for myself (my grandfathers colt was given to me and it never leaves the safe) because they just aren't "practical" in a defense situation. Well I finally decided I have to get one. I shot a half box of .38 and a half box of .357 this morning wow.. Significant difference even in this K-frame. All in all I am very happy I decided to get one and I am hooked into the wheel gun world. I would love to get a 586,19, or 29 to add in to the start of my collection.
    I have called around this morning trying to locate some finger grooved wooden grips for it with no luck. Guess I will have to wait it out.
    Enough talking here it is.
    Model 66-6 (post-lock) .357 magnum
    neqyde8u.jpg

edezyhuj.jpg

8usetuzu.jpg

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Granted, this is more specifically written around snubbies, but (if you haven't read it) get yourself a copy of "The Snubbie Revolver" by Ed Lovette. It is a very useful (VERY!) and interesting read by a guy who did the FBI and CIA training during his career. You will have a completely different outlook on revolvers, and subnosed guns, after reading it. It's only about 150 pages but great info!!! Recommended by Mas Ayoob.

And that is one fine looking revolver.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Sweet thanks man. I liked tw ruger sp101 at cabelas an I almost came home with a 6" gp100 but they wouldn't come off the price any and it was a bit high for my taste. I'm going back today to look at a S&w 586 they have. Also to check for powder and ammo. An a holster for this thing :D.
    Y'all need me to check on anything for y'all?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Nice choice.

Honestly, I think too many people have been brainwashed in the "revolvers aren't practical for self defense" line of thought.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Thanks guys! I just left cabelas. Had to pick up some ammo for my .300wsm. So glad that is unaffected!
    Some ammo boxes and a holster for this revo.
    I brought in my firearm to make sure the holster I was going to find was going to work like I wanted. They would not take the trigger lock off!!!! Not give me the gun back until I was out of the front door! I couldn't believe this. Never had this problem before!! I was shocked and I probably will be ordering online for a while now. What would be a reason to not give me my own firearm.... Is cabelas a "no-carry" store? I mean if I'm not allowed to check my gun to fit a holster then I am sure they would have a fit with someone that open carried or was spotted concealing even with a permit..

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    It's addictive. I started at a very young age and can't seem to put them down. If you really want to get into revolver shooting,buy a j frame. Just when you think you've got it all figured out....a little j frame might rock or ruin your world.

Last edited:

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Thanks guys. I really like the revo. I went out an found me a leather holster today and a couple HKS speed loaders.
    Also picked up about 150 rounds of .357, 100- 38sp and one box of defensive rounds.
    sazagu8a.jpg

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Not practical for self defense? .357 mag is the #1 rated SD cartridge.

As a reloader you're gonna love revolvers. No more loosing brass, or having to chase it through the mud. It falls out in your hand.

I like HP-38 / W-231 for target .38 spl rounds and cast lead semi wad cutters. I use AA9 for potent .357 ammo with Hornady 158 gr XTP's.

Little snubbies can be a hand full. Try one, before you buy one. I've a Mod 38 and a Colt Cobra. Either one will sting your hand with .38 spl. I wouldn't want an alloy snubbie in .357 mag.

Welcome to the old school club.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Not practical for self defense? .357 mag is the #1 rated SD cartridge.

As a reloader you're gonna love revolvers. No more loosing brass, or having to chase it through the mud. It falls out in your hand.

I like HP-38 / W-231 for target .38 spl rounds and cast lead semi wad cutters. I use AA9 for potent .357 ammo with Hornady 158 gr XTP's.

Little snubbies can be a hand full. Try one, before you buy one. I've a Mod 38 and a Colt Cobra. Either one will sting your hand with .38 spl. I wouldn't want an alloy snubbie in .357 mag.

Welcome to the old school club.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips on loading man!
    I currently only hand load for .308. I need the precision of a hand load for matches. I typically buy my handgun rounds... I may get into loading .357 on my single stage. 9mm will come but not until after I get a larger work area and a progressive.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    What do you say that for? I am new to revolvers so I'm sorry.

The short answer is because Ed McGivern and Jerry Miculek said so.

When someone goes for a handgun in a very great hurry they will not hit the same exact spot on the grips everytime. If you hit the wrong spot on smooth grips than the problem isn't a problem at all. If you hit the wrong spot on a handgun with deep finger grooves you got a problem buddy.

For target shooting finger grips and thumb rests are fine. For combat revolvers not so much. For my competition revolvers I use Miculek's Bang Inc grips. They are excellent.

http://www.bang-inc.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=7rdp6qgu3tei9up15g5thor4h7

Unlike semi automatics in revolvers I want a little grip movement (for wood grips) in my hand when I shoot magnums so I also avoid textured surfaces.

dave

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I am a fan of revos as well. I like ahrends grips myself. I would stay away from the houge wood grips. If you plan to shoot alot I have to say rubber grips are easier on the hands, but do not look good at all. And if you go with wood stick with smooth grips. I am up in the air about the finger groove grips, some fit my hands well and others do not.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom