NASA: "The sun is waking up from a deep slumber"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/04jun_swef/

June 4, 2010: Earth and space are about to come into contact in a way that's new to human history. To make preparations, authorities in Washington DC are holding a meeting: The Space Weather Enterprise Forum at the National Press Club on June 8th.

Richard Fisher, head of NASA's Heliophysics Division, explains what it's all about:

"The sun is waking up from a deep slumber, and in the next few years we expect to see much higher levels of solar activity. At the same time, our technological society has developed an unprecedented sensitivity to solar storms. The intersection of these two issues is what we're getting together to discuss."

The National Academy of Sciences framed the problem two years ago in a landmark report entitled "Severe Space Weather Events—Societal and Economic Impacts." It noted how people of the 21st-century rely on high-tech systems for the basics of daily life. Smart power grids, GPS navigation, air travel, financial services and emergency radio communications can all be knocked out by intense solar activity. A century-class solar storm, the Academy warned, could cause twenty times more economic damage than Hurricane Katrina.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Couldn't the President order a missile strike to shoot down, or at the very least break up the sun into smaller pieces?????

Oh wait....****, it's late. I was thinking about giant meteors.:o

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Oh great. More fracking sunspots. Now I get to hear all the OFs talk about how HF is boooming and how us No Coders are missing out on everything by not staying up every hour of the night to check into all of the CW nets.
    KC5SAS out.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    BP is working on a solar "top hat" containment device. The last thing they want to see is sunburned pelicans washing up on the shore of Grand Isle.

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    I have some questions for NASA:

Will a solar flare effect a T1?

Will a solar flare effect POA/POI high or low?

Will Jessica Alba be OK (cause she is hot)?

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Hmm, global warming proven to be bullshite.
    No where near the about of hurricanes we predicted the last few years.
    AIDS never really did become an epidemic amongst the hetero, non IV drug user majority.

Quick we need a disaster to frighten people with.

SOLAR FLARES! Pay no attention to health care, taxes, or your jobs. SOLAR FLARES!

Dave

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I always told you, the WORLD ENDS TOMORROW! Free beer tomorrow. Put all your ammo in the freezer so the heat from the solar flares want cause it to explode.

If the world doesn't end tomorrow then maybe it's the next day.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    One of the young'uns at work saw the same press release and freaked a bit. When I explained that this is just the upswing of the 11 year solar cycle and is normal. Probably won't affect you texting while on the clock and wasting the rest of your time with iPhone apps.

Young'un - "How do you know this stuff?"
    Me - 'I'm a ham radio operator.'
    Young'un - "Oh."

Just another example of the gummit manufacturing a crisis for no good reason except to promote its fear mongering.

On the plus side the few sunspots we've had have made some openings in the bands. Hit Portugal with PSK and New Zealand with RTTY on 17m in the last week. And no I won't stay up to 0300 to work CW nets with the OFs either.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom