ND with injury by traveling hunter at airport

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    You can carry anywhere in the main lobby of the airport without a problem. Not until you get to the concourses do you run into a security checkpoint.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    You can carry anywhere in the main lobby of the airport without a problem. Not until you get to the concourses do you run into a security checkpoint.

This. I also never understood what makes an airport somehow a sacred place where weapons are more strictly forbidden than a school (metal detectors, body scanners, handjobs, etc). Sure, airplanes have been targeted a couple times, and you're in tight confines for hours with hundreds of complete strangers... but the same goes for restaurants, or Walmart for that matter.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    I have never had an ND nor do I know anyone personally that has. Sucks, but I had a CCW instructor tell my entire class that if you handle handguns that "you will" have an ND and I just don't believe it. I believe most gun owners never experience a neg discharge. Tell me if I'm an over safe idiot or if the rest of the gun world agrees with the former.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    We are all held responsible for stuff like this. This is not the first time that something like this has happened in a US Airport, either.

Let's wait for Zelenka to get the real details before we go ballistic.

Meantime, We are responsible for our own actions and negligence.

titleguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    I have never had an ND nor do I know anyone personally that has. Sucks, but I had a CCW instructor tell my entire class that if you handle handguns that "you will" have an ND and I just don't believe it. I believe most gun owners never experience a neg discharge. Tell me if I'm an over safe idiot or if the rest of the gun world agrees with the former.

Anyone can have an ND. I know plenty of cops, SWAT guys, and more than a few federal agents that have had NDs. Much like this guy they were very familiar with weapons, and familiarity CAN breed a loss of appreciation of the danger and a lack of respect for the weapon.

I think your CCW instructor said it that way because obviously anyone can have an ND and if you forget that, you will have an ND.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    He is a good friend of my FIL and I also know him pretty well. Pretty strong hunting and gun activist. I got some details tonight:

He was leaving for an African safari and had the rifle in a soft case inside of a locked hard case. He believed it to be unloaded. He was asked by UA employee to remove it completely and "demonstrate" that it was unloaded. Not sure exactly what he did to show this...I was told (before seeing the thread or pictures) that he pointed it downward and said "of course it is unloaded". I can only assume that he pulled the trigger. Accidents happen, but this shouldn't have.

I've been told that he is mortified and embarrassed that he could have done such a thing. The FIL followed it with the safety speech, that sometimes the extractors don't remove the casing and that the barrel should be visibly inspected.

Called a few friends in the area who also know him and they were shocked that it was him.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    There seems to be a few things wrong here. I am not sure how he got to the counter with the gun. I feel like he should have been stopped at the door to at least check the firearm. I hate to do it, but in these situations I have to think what could have happened. What if he did want to shoot the place up? Nothing stopped him from the door to the check in counter? It's not that far but we are talking about WEAPONS in the airport. So what if it was in a case, next time BG will bring guns in a case. I think the poor guy knows now that he should have checked them, but since when is this country one to blindly trust those with guns? Just like usual in this country, we are reacting instead of being pro-active.
    Sarcasm overload. :rofl:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    There seems to be a few things wrong here. I am not sure how he got to the counter with the gun. I feel like he should have been stopped at the door to at least check the firearm. I hate to do it, but in these situations I have to think what could have happened. What if he did want to shoot the place up? Nothing stopped him from the door to the check in counter? It's not that far but we are talking about WEAPONS in the airport. So what if it was in a case, next time BG will bring guns in a case. I think the poor guy knows now that he should have checked them, but since when is this country one to blindly trust those with guns? Just like usual in this country, we are reacting instead of being pro-active.

Apparently you have never flown with firearms.

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    Sarcasm overload. :rofl:

You got it. But honestly I do feel bad for the guy. No one wants to experience a ND, but luckily here no one got KILLED. Just reminds us that accidents can and do happen.

Last edited:

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry

I think what your CCW instructor was trying to teach was that it can happen to anyone, and it WILL happen if you become complacent. If you accept the fact that even you, or me, or any "over safe idot" can have a ND, then you might stay on your toes and never become complacent.

Top Bottom