Need a few honest opinion's please.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which would you pick?

• Bushmaster M4A3 Patroleman's Carbine

Votes: 5 20.0%
    • Rock River Arms Tactical Entry

Votes: 12 48.0%
    • DPMS Panther Lite

Votes: 1 4.0%
    • Other...please explain below.

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I finally have an opportunity to get an AR. I had planned on beginning a build, but i have a chance to get my hands on either a DPMS Panther Lite, RRA Tactical Entry, or a Bushmaster M4A3 Patrolman's Carbine. Now, before i get flamed for further beating this topic to death, I am just curious as to some of your experiences good/bad with the rifles. I am only interested in one of these three, so please do not tell me to get a Colt, Stag, or S&W because the last time I checked (Friday) they were very much out of my price range (sub $900).

Your knowledge and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Just to throw another annoying wrench into the debate....If you are comfortable with this, could you guys PM me with what you paid and where you bought from. I'm just a bit curious to see what kind of deals y'all got.

Last edited:

Tiz68

Gun Lover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Morgan City
    I have a Bushmaster and from experience it really is a great rifle. I find it is just as good as Colt, but for a cheaper price. While my opinion may be biased because I have not shot a DPMS or RRA, I would go with Bush. I have heard really good things about the other two, but can't say from experience. I can though with Bush.

Let us know which one you choose, and either way good luck and enjoy it!!! :D

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I voted for the Bushmaster because I own one, but, I would not rule out RRA and I am actually considering purchasing one of their varmit uppers.

As for DPMS, I have shot a couple of them, and I have found them, at least the ones I managed to shoot, to be extremely picky on ammo.

Other uppers that I own are made by Colt, J&T, LMT, and POF.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm happy w/ my dpms lower at least. They should all be quality firearms anyway. We're back to ford vs chevy... I don't think you could go wrong either way. As long as you don't put a single point sling you'll be fine...

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Of those three, Rock River is the best bang/$$$. Last time I checked, Stag, which is made by CMT (a major subcontractor for RRA), were significantly cheaper than RRA rifles.

+1

You can buy a complete upper an lower on arfcom and get you into a rifle for well below 900.

Also, maybe try contacting Bill @ bullet & blade. he is a sponsor here and i'm sure he can get you something within your price range.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Alright all you RR Entry Tac guys....how much did you pay, and where did you buy? PM is fine if your comfortable letting me know.

Edit: I just realized how pathetic it sounds me asking how much and all. I'm just curious to be honest.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Alright all you RR Entry Tac guys....how much did you pay, and where did you buy? PM is fine if your comfortable letting me know.

Edit: I just realized how pathetic it sounds me asking how much and all. I'm just curious to be honest.

None of us were born knowing what we know. You don't know unless you ask. ;)

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I actually think the RRA Entry is probably the best choice for me at this point. Iron sights, chrome moly lined barrel, flat top, match trigger, chambered 5.56, and it won't break the bank. I've shot them and the trigger is great. Now I'm just looking for a place to get it, Any ideas?

I would build one, but i honestly don't have the time nor patience to do so.

As far as DPMS goes, i too have noticed a lack of fit and finish in a few of the models I've looked at, and they were very picky w/ ammo.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I dont own any of the choices on the list, So I will not comment part of your thread, but I will tell you that Bill at B&B is a pleasure to deal with (and a site sponsor to boot), Give him a call to see what he can do on prices.

Also, It doesnt take too terribly long to build an AR, and is not hard at all to do and you will know/be more familiar with all the inner workings of your weapon.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I dont own any of the choices on the list, So I will not comment part of your thread, but I will tell you that Bill at B&B is a pleasure to deal with (and a site sponsor to boot), Give him a call to see what he can do on prices.

Also, It doesnt take too terribly long to build an AR, and is not hard at all to do and you will know/be more familiar with all the inner workings of your weapon.

I was planning on giving Bill a call tomorrow actually. As far as building one, I've disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled more M4s and M9s than I care to remember. I really just don't feel like fooling with building one in all honesty.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs

1250 and thats with a quad rail installed, no hassel buy. Plus I did 6 months no interest loan on it and played with the loaners money while mine gained interest in the bank. paid off in 6months... plus i made some money.(in theory)

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    1250 and thats with a quad rail installed, no hassel buy. Plus I did 6 months no interest loan on it and played with the loaners money while mine gained interest in the bank. paid off in 6months... plus i made some money.(in theory)

NM

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I was planning on giving Bill a call tomorrow actually. As far as building one, I've disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled more M4s and M9s than I care to remember. I really just don't feel like fooling with building one in all honesty.

sorry, I didnt know that you knew the ins and outs of the platform.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    chrome moly lined barrel

Boss302,
    RR is a fine choice, I would highly recommend that you confirm that the bbl is chrome lined as it is more durable. But more important IMO anyway, is that is more corrosion resident.
    Chrome moly is a steel alloy.
    Chrome lined is a hard chrome plating applied to a chrome moly bbl.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Boss302,
    RR is a fine choice, I would highly recommend that you confirm that the bbl is chrome lined as it is more durable. But more important IMO anyway, is that is more corrosion resident.
    Chrome moly is a steel alloy.
    Chrome lined is a hard chrome plating applied to a chrome moly bbl.

It is definitely chrome lined. I wouldn't mind SS, but i hope that I would never put it through something that would justify the extra price tag and weight. Chrome lined is fine w/ me.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I have the Government model. Has all the whistles and bells. Rock solid...:D

pugovt.gif

Top Bottom