Need a new hunting rifle.... to buy or build?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Well, I sold my .30-06 with the intent of replacing it with another .30-06. I wanted something with wood instead of plastic. Just a personal preference. Anyways, after shopping around a bit, nothing is really exactly what I want used. I'm trying to decide if I should just save up a little more and buy a Remington 700 CDL DM or buy a 700 and build/have built what I really want. I'm wanting a reasonably accurate hunting rifle that I could take longer shots (if I ever get the chance) with. I don't see ever going 1000 yards or anything and I don't want a precision rifle.... just a good shooting hunting rifle. I would like it without sights, good barrel (quite possibly a heavy barrel), walnut stock satin finish.... Nothing fancy or flashy.

If the cost to build goes well beyond what I can get a CDL for ($824 new at Buds), I'd probably just go with the new rifle, but I'm kinda liking a plainer looking rifle with the important upgrades.

Thoughts? Suggestions on who I should ask gunsmith wise. I have enough projects, I probably won't do this myself.

crazy white boy

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    St. Charles Parish Hahnville
    I personally like the T/C Encore frame set up with a match grade machine works barrel. Match Grade you can order a large variety of calibers and order the barrel any length you want with a lot of options. I purchased a 308 from them and it was unbelievable. When hunting only one shot usually counts so why not shoot a single shot. Just my opinion..

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Factory will be more accurate than you need

No need for heavy barrel.

My $260 paun shop special savage 110 30-06 does fine.

THIS. Buy a cheap 700 ADL with plastic stock and then spend some money on a nice laminate stock, hardware and trigger. You can even have it recoated and still be under your budget. A rifle doesn't HAVE to be built up all at once.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    THIS. Buy a cheap 700 ADL with plastic stock and then spend some money on a nice laminate stock, hardware and trigger. You can even have it recoated and still be under your budget. A rifle doesn't HAVE to be built up all at once.

Thanks, this is probably the way I'll go.

Thanks bigjakewelch, but it's not what I want.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Okay. I bought a rifle today. Should be here next week. It's an older Remington 700, looks like a BDL. Might look to stick a barrel on it, refinish the stock to something satin or start fresh with walnut.... and some rings and glass. I need a second job. :rofl:

pix576569089.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom