Need advice on adding White lights to AR-15s.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Need to add tactical lights to my two AR-15s. I am using a midlength Magpul MOE on one and standard Colt 6920 guards on another, but am thinking about switching to MOE carbine length guards. Is this feasible? What do I need to buy and what is the best way to set it up for a right handed shooter.

Sent from my Samsung-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk because AT&T 4G sucks majorly.

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    All you have to do is add the picatinny rails to the moe handguards to accomplish this. I have the handguards and rails in stock if interested PM me.

JAMES LOUQUE
    LOUQUES FIREARMS LLC.
    225-206-1908

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Do you have a particular light in mind? That is what's going to drive the mount.

I have been using the below-pictured set-up on my carbines since I retired. It certainly isn't Tactical Teddy approved, but it has been through a few classes and around-the-house bumps, etc., during hurricane duty. Doing so now, in fact. A standard TLR-1 on a Command Arms bolt-on mount, which was 12 bucks or so at OpticsPlanet.

No doubt that a $500+ SureFire module, or one of the other "mil-spec" units, is more durable for full blown combat. But I know of a large, very active sheriff's office SWAT unit that uses this exact set up, and they have no complaints.

Plus 1. These lights are tougher than needed for most any use a civilian would need.

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    Moe handguard with tlr 1 attached

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346240429.439474.jpg

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    In response to the earlier question, no i do not know what light I am interested in using. I know that I want it to be small, light, extremely durable, and very bright. I need to do a lot of research and was hoping to get a starting point here as i know absolutely nothing about tactical flashlights.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If you have a standard FSB, I like the Midwest Industries FSB mount. They are also some other companies offering mounts for the FSB now (I think Haley is one) but I have no experience with them. Either way I much prefer the light off of the handguards. Especially on the carbine length, the light and mount just eats up too much space and puts your hand in an awkward position to use the light.

Here's the MI mount with a VLTOR Scout mount and Fenix TK11 (I've since swapped that for a Surefire G2X). Nothing fancy but it just plain works.

emdom_1.jpg

If I was doing it again, I'd probably mount a TLR-1 using one of the fancy new mounts that puts it at 12 o'clock in front of the FSB.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Well, you're talking two things now. You can put a "tactical flashlight" on your gun with any of the myriad of mounts available for that. Or, you can score a dedicated "gun light" that will already have most, if not all, of the stuff needed to mount it.

It might be easier if we determine exactly what you want this gun-mounted light to do.

Do you want extreme throw? That is, be able to reach out 50-60 yards into the back forty? I.e., a tight, narrow beam.

Do you want the max available flood, that is, be able to light up an entire room or area at the expense of being able to pinpoint something a good distance away? I.e., a wide, diffused beam.

Or do you want a combination of both? Keep in mind that this is like any compromise; it does nothing well, but will get you by.

Once you make this determination, then you can begin your research. Throw and flood are the two main terms you'll be interested in, as these describe the beam type.

I believe that my number one concern is weight and durability followed closely by brightness. I imagine that for a carbine, i would want the light to have a longer throw for identifying targets that might be slightly further away. I imagine flood would be better for a handgun light. Like I said earlier, this is only speculation on my part.

Last edited:

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    If you have a standard FSB, I like the Midwest Industries FSB mount. They are also some other companies offering mounts for the FSB now (I think Haley is one) but I have no experience with them. Either way I much prefer the light off of the handguards. Especially on the carbine length, the light and mount just eats up too much space and puts your hand in an awkward position to use the light.

Here's the MI mount with a VLTOR Scout mount and Fenix TK11 (I've since swapped that for a Surefire G2X). Nothing fancy but it just plain works.

emdom_1.jpg

If I was doing it again, I'd probably mount a TLR-1 using one of the fancy new mounts that puts it at 12 o'clock in front of the FSB.

What mount are you speaking about?

Last edited:

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Not a carbine. It I'm putting the same mount and light on my middy.

Solarforce LT2 in a VTAC mount. Works like a champ and has stood up to the 12 GA extremely well. Very very bright and fairly inexpensive.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346536634.735270.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346536677.959968.jpg

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    One assumes you are using the dislocated-shoulder overhand grip on the handguards?

No, but comfortably extended and thumb forward. Regardless of preferred grip, I certainly don't see any BENEFIT of occupying half the handguard with a light when there's plenty of options not to. Mounting the light on the handguard also puts it further out into the world, increasing likelihood of accidental light discharge (especially the TLR's switch) or whacking the light out of commission. Again, handguard mounting a light is not the end of the world, but there are many better options on the market now.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I was mainly referring to the TLR mounted on the handguard. You know how easy that switch is to engage (which is why I prefer them over the X300 for pistols).

Again, the old stuff works, I've never doubted you on that. I'm just saying if you're starting from scratch there are better ways. A '72 Dodge Dart will still get you to the grocery store, but that doesn't mean I'd recommend it to someone car shopping in 2012. ;)

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    I received a Surefire G2X light in a trade from a close friend recently. I have been considering either a Elzetta 1500 or a Troy VTAC Light Mount. I suppose one advantage of the Elzetta is being ambi but I think I'd be more comfortable with the activation on the side mounted Troy. Of course, removing my MVG could change things too. Ohhh the choices to make.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Par7485
    Top Bottom