Need new duty boots. Want your suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Danner's do have side zip model, but they use cheap zippers that break really easily. Big downfall. I'm on my second pair of 5.11 ATAC Shield's. Love my boots.

Hay-Wire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hmm, I like. but any idea if they're slip resistant in any way? It doesn't state it.

I think the hot weather and the tactical boots have the same sole. If so, then they're extremely slip resistant. I wore the hot weather ones while moving through wet mountains in Afghanistan, and I never slipped.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I'd look into Danner. That was my original choice before I bought my 5.11's. You bought yours right around when I bought mine and mine are still in great shape. Super dirty but still in great shape. I like the converse boots too. I believe they have some in Slidell if you want to try them on. I would look into Danner though, a lot of people like them.
    And if you want options, look into Rocky Boots. http://www.rockyboots.com/

yea but the difference between mine and yours is mine have been worked harder than a mexican from outside home depot lol. i've worn these boots for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours. I definitely got my moneys worth.

Danner's do have side zip model, but they use cheap zippers that break really easily. Big downfall. I'm on my second pair of 5.11 ATAC Shield's. Love my boots.

they are definitely great. hey- I notice that gold patch in your sig. nice.

I think the hot weather and the tactical boots have the same sole. If so, then they're extremely slip resistant. I wore the hot weather ones while moving through wet mountains in Afghanistan, and I never slipped.

Going to look into them, thanks.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I have a pair of Danner GTX's with a few miles on them. I bought them for deployment and they have been comfortable since day one. A lot of our guys love the Oakley boots and the Nike boots are also a pretty common choice around here. The Altama Exospeed's are comfy and a lot cheaper price-wise than the others.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    Danner Ft Lewis! best boots ive ever bought. Been wearing them for 6 years and will not buy anything else. I have the soles replaced twice last time i went through Danner and they warranty the work!

Fam21

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    DANNER...Youll never buy another brand of boot

I agree, I got these issued before a deployment and have not been able to destroy them. They are incredible, I have have had them now for 4 years and still going strong.

fltmedic7263

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Maurice
    It's taken me 26+ years to go through 4 pairs of Red Wing slip ons. They're no good for running and jumping all the time, but hard to beat otherwise. Easy to keep looking good, and if you work polish into the seams when you polish them they stay waterproof to the top.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    I like my standard military issue (at least used to be) Bates. They have held up well and are comfortable. I've never had any of the big name $200 boots that are out there so I can't say if they are really that much better than what I have, but I happy with my bates.

D-Ray86

Tiger Eyed Bandit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 1, 2010
    Goodbee, LA
    I would go danner all the way!!!! I went seven months in Iraq as a Marine infantryman and I don't think I ever got a blister worth complaining about....

Pigfish73

Brass Junkie!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I have two pairs of Danner duty boots (Stryker and Acadia), and a pair of Danner Pronghorn hunting boots. They are all awesome. I don't care what they cost, if I ever tear up a pair of them I will buy another! The Strykers were my everyday duty boots and the Acadias are from my SWAT days. No complaints and very waterproof. I have walked many, many miles in the Pronghorns on bird hunting trips and never had a blister.
    I have one pair of 5.11's in desert tan. They are comfortable, side zip, but they are definitely not holding up well. I would stick with the Danners.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Danner Acadia's uninsulated. For the first maybe ten years of EMS I worn all the major brands. Now Danner Acadia is where it's at. It took me four years but I've worn the sole about off. I'm going to send it back to Danner and have it resoled and restored. You can't do that with any of the modern glue on sole boots. The Acadia is leather stitched to midsole. Old school made in the USA. Plus I've tried many different brands gortex. Danner puts gortex on their boots that kept my feet dry going 80 mph in the rain in Baton Rouge. Beat that. :)

Later

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    My vote is the 5.11 Atacs for a few reasons:
    1. They have lifetime warranty so they basically the last pair of boots you will ever buy.
    2. I wear mine a minimum of 18 hours a day (on tower and on standby) 7 days a week for months at a time in varying conditions from desert to maritime and they havent failed me yet. I have had a few pair replaced BEFORE they failed but that due to saltwater baths, various other chemicals, etc etc.
    3. What nobody has mentioned and just as important in regards to comfort on your body as the actual boot choice is the SOCK choice..socks can make or break a boot in regards to comfort. For socks my recommendation is 5.11 either #1 or #2 series.

Thanks

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I already use 5.11 socks, love them.

Lifetime warranty? Would they replace the glue of the soles coming off?

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    My vote is the 5.11 Atacs for a few reasons:
    1. They have lifetime warranty so they basically the last pair of boots you will ever buy.
    2. I wear mine a minimum of 18 hours a day (on tower and on standby) 7 days a week for months at a time in varying conditions from desert to maritime and they havent failed me yet. I have had a few pair replaced BEFORE they failed but that due to saltwater baths, various other chemicals, etc etc.
    3. What nobody has mentioned and just as important in regards to comfort on your body as the actual boot choice is the SOCK choice..socks can make or break a boot in regards to comfort. For socks my recommendation is 5.11 either #1 or #2 series.

Thanks
    .... Okay, you sold me... I dont know about the O.P. but I just ordered some..:)

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Ive got a pair of 5.11 ATAC side zipper boots that are about 2-1/2 years old and I love them. Zipper tab just broke on one of them yesterday, so I guess Ill have to look into replacing thsi pair(does the lifetime warranty cover that too and repair or replacement on broken zippers?)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom