Need some ideas for grandson.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    I was kind of in the same place. I just couldnt stand school. I had failed a few times and was in the 9th grade, not because I was stupid, but mostly because I just wasnt interested in learning and would sleep in class. At the time my Dad was rehabilitating from an injury and decided to get his GED. When he came back with a GED preparation book I took the "test" and passed it very easily. I then decided that I would get my GED and quit school. I went to the GED class and took their test and passed it, so the teacher signed me up for the real thing. After I passed it I signed up at the local trade school in Electronics Technology. I had always been interested in Electronics and by then I knew that I didnt want to do manual labor like my parents always had. I completed that in two years and have been working ever since and making very good money.

I would check to see if your area has a GED program that he can go to. Mine was a couple of hours a few nights a week. The teachers can help him pinpoint the areas that he needs to learn to pass the test. I think what is most important though, is that he needs to want to make something of himself. Make him understand that even though he quit school, it doesnt mean that he cant go about things a different way. encourage him to get his GED so that he can go to a trade or vocational school. At the very least, if he cant pass the GED try and get him to sign up for a vocational school program that doesnt need to have a diploma like air conditioning and refrigeration.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    A diploma is just ink on paper unless there is intellect to back it up! That kid had better know how to read and write!

You want some advice? Let him read these posts! Go back through some of the archived posts. I have only been on here a short time, and I have read alot of misery and woe from posters here.

Let your grandson read about all these guys that have to sell all of their most beloved possessions (Their guns), because they can't find work, or are cash strapped because of it.

That is real world advice!

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    Third on the Youth Challenge Program - my cousin dropped out and sat around for almost a year. Then she went YCP, got her GED, did some time in the service and now she's a nurse. The YCP has a solid track record.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm mentoring a young man in the YCP program right now. The diference is astonishing from his attitude before he went in and now that he is out and at home . But like in all other things he is only going to change his attitude permanently if he has a positive role model to get him motivated and keep him motivated. I droped out of school at 17 and it was a hard go of things for a while but I had a Grandfather that I looked up to that kept me interested in things like welding and machine works. Now I own a business that specializes in welding and machine works. It's like Speed Racer said sometimes school is not for everyone, but he needs to get his GED at the least. I think that YCP would be the best place for that to happen. They will get him ready for the GED and get him pointed in a direction that will be best for him in the long run. Good luck to you and your family, I'll be praying that everything goes well.

Last edited:

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Thanks all ,I knew I could depend on some good information at this site. I will keep reading if there is any more ideas. The Youth Challenge Program sounds like an excellent program. Some of his problems at school was he is small ,but doesn't take to being bullyed which causes him to throw the first punch. I can't fault him for defending himself.
    Thanks again ,I will be having another sat down conservation with him this evening. I will let him read all these posts to show there are folk like you who care about youth today.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    +1 on the Army National Guard's Youth Challenge Program. It's targetted a "not bad kids" who need some direction and focus. At least in Louisiana, each of the 3 sites is headed by a professional educator and they have a really excellent track record on getting kids through their GED. There's no military service requirement, but at least some of the graduates do wind up entering the National Guard or one of the active duty services. Great program.

One of our drivers son is in the Beauregard program. He, the boy, admits it's the best thing he did.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    There are no easy answers. If he does have a genuine interest in something try and assist him with his interest and see how it would develop.

He's bound to have an interest in something positive. If it isn't obvious as to what it might be have a good sit down with him and see if together you and him can come up with anything he might be interested in. Then make a plan to help him develop it further.

Best wishes to both of you.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    My last suggestion is tough love. If he doesn't like school, that's fine, but find something to do to pay the rent. If he has free room and board, that makes it easy for him to make bad decisions.

A valid option. But, be warned, it can and likely will be harder on you than him. Be sure that you have the strength to follow through by stepping aside to allow some major suffering. It will be heartbreaking. If you cave in, you only prolong the process. If you go this route, everyone MUST be on the same page. Kindhearted, but less committed family members can cut you off at the knees.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Bring him down to the social services building in New Orleans and let him take that in through the eyes of the ghost of future existence?!?

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    A valid option. But, be warned, it can and likely will be harder on you than him. Be sure that you have the strength to follow through by stepping aside to allow some major suffering. It will be heartbreaking. If you cave in, you only prolong the process. If you go this route, everyone MUST be on the same page. Kindhearted, but less committed family members can cut you off at the knees.

+1

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    +1 on the Youth Challenge Program. Louisiana YCP has sites at Gillis Long Center at Carville, at Camp Beauregard (Pineville) and at Minden. Classes are staggered at the three sites so there are classes starting every couple of months. Each class is a residence program and lasts 5 months. My wife is a teacher there (Masters in Education, previously a Gifted & Talented teacher). Like Tadsstuff says, great program.

Azimuth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Cold,hard,truth.Pray without ceasing!

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    did you ever ask him what he wants to do with his life? what are his interests. what about a ged and a culinary school. or trade school welding, painting, building stuff? does he have any skills that stand out, drawing? typing? find out what he likes and try to gear something towards that. the only way he will want to do something is if it interests him.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    "Sit-downs" aren't gonna work. I whole-heartedly suggest the Louisiana Army National Guard's Youth Challenge Program. It'll wake him up once he realizes that he's not the only competing ego in the world.... and that the consequences of his actions will haunt him for the rest of his life. They've turned around many-o-knuckle-heads since it's inception.....

http://www.ngycp.org/site/state/la/

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Update ,My grand son started back to high school this past week .He is in th MCJROTC @ Franklinton high. For now he seems happy with the situation .He got his camos yesterday and came in strutting with a short hair cut. If We can keep him interested it might be the best thing for him.
    We also checked the Nat.Guard program . He won't be 16 until next month . We are giving this a try with very much support hoping it will work. The next N.G. program starts in Oct. at Pineville. Keeping all options open. He is an adaptable child just needs constant supervision. Alway says yes sir and no sir . Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    WOW !

There is some incredibly wonderful advice on this thread, especially considering that we are a bunch of "Gun Nuts" and not "trained professionsl educators" !

leVieux

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    The youth challange program would be a good idea. If not iterested though maybe try to enroll the boy in a home school program. If I was alittle closer SSG Kramer would come have a sit down with him. It's a horrible time to not have any edjucation in the world. And god bless you for trying to help your grandson!

Top Bottom