New Orleans is changing..........

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcbvh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Louisiana
    How many of "these people" do you know? I have a LOT of friends that would be considered liberal that live in the areas you're talking about. Their views on guns range from "don't give a **** either way" to "please help me pick out a gun and teach me how to use it". The majority of them are not naive to their surroundings and still have a sense of self preservation. Even the oblivious ones don't care either way.

There's not much political activism in New Orleans on either side of the fence. Most people just wanna party and do their thing and could care less about what other people do.

I have worked in the Bio-Pharm/Pharm field on/off on the east coast for 23 yrs. I know what is coming. As far as giving you a "number" on how many people I know in New Orleans. I know enough.

I'm just saying it's funny that with one breath y'all admit they are cleaning up bad areas and rejuvinating the economy, and with the next breath saying they are ruining the city.

New Orleans is and always has been a very left leaning city. It won't change anything at a state level.

It was from a gun owners perspective. Read it again :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I'm just saying it's funny that with one breath y'all admit they are cleaning up bad areas and rejuvinating the economy, and with the next breath saying they are ruining the city.

New Orleans is and always has been a very left leaning city. It won't change anything at a state level.

It's worth being aware of the potential... it HAS happened elsewhere!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Well, I don't admit they(whomever they are), are doing ANYTHING. What I am saying is that I have DEEP roots there and still do, and I am stating that the areas that I knew and grew up in are changing since Katrina. For those that know the areas, think about Bucktown alone! There are now more hispanics than Bucktonians! Lakeview is now a patchwork of people that didn't grow up there. They are just migrating from where ever they come. That may be the "new" reality, but that's not what that place was.

Last edited:

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    New Orleans has always been a liberal skunk hole. Do the names Landrieu, Morial, and Nagin ring a bell?
    I don't think an infusion of educated dems is any worse than the ignorant ones that are already there.

louis488

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    New Orleans
    Now some one please correct me if I am wrong but with the state second amendment no city level gun control can be passed. Example New Orleans can't pass a law banning evil looking guns?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    New Orleans has always been a liberal skunk hole. Do the names Landrieu, Morial, and Nagin ring a bell?
    I don't think an infusion of educated dems is any worse than the ignorant ones that are already there.

That's not really accurate. The liberalism moniker for New Orleans is attributed to the voting bloc of blacks who have historically pulled the lever for democrats. Throw in an actual black candidate as opposed to a pandering pile of white politicians, and you have full on democratic stronghold.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I take my liberal friends to the gun range let them shoot a semi-auto shotgun and an "assault weapon" explain the workings of the weapons and how they are not evil and nothing like what the media makes them out to be..... I have had a few converts. Some complete and some still believing that there should be a mag capacity limit. I will break them down eventually.

In regards to the "hipsters" most of those folk are just followers pushing a trendy style. Some are actually creative and trying to make a difference. I have hipster friends that participate in "teach for America" some are socially liberal and fiscally conservative. All in all anyone who comes into a place and is passionate about what they produce and leaves that place better is good to go in my opinion.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It was from a gun owners perspective. Read it again :rolleyes:

I AM a gun owner. And that ain't my perspective.

My point is there's no conspiracy or anyone plotting to take over New Orleans just to take your gun rights away. Demographics change. It just happens. Wanna blame someone? Blame all the right wing crackers who ditched the city and fled to the northshore, taking their money and influence with them. The void they left is already filled with slums and hippies. That's pretty much the story of every major city and it happened organically, not as part of some evil plot. If you don't like the urban environment, move out of the urban area. Come on out to the suburbs with the rest of us gun ownin' crackers. ;)

jcbvh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Louisiana
    ^^^ Dont live in N.O. Im from the river parishes.

I have lived and worked in :CT,MA,NY,RI,MD,MI,CA,MS,AR, and of course LA.

This isnt coming from some narrow minded thought process. If you have ever lived in a blue state you would understand it.

This exact thread was posted on shooters forums in some blue states I belong to. The responses...All pretty much say that if it happened to them, it can happen to us.

I guess time will tell.

Last edited:

hpcatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Greater New Orleans Area
    While we may have a fight on our hands, don't give up hope for the future. Many of the folks recently moving to the city for the new boom in the high tech fields or medicine are conservative and passionate about gun rights... and I know plenty of others who are just like me. ;)

arcamm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I drove all day today with a friend of mine all over the city. We drove into areas that I would not have been caught dead in, pre-Katrina.

As many of you know, the city is changing.

ALOT of new young hipsters, hippies, professionals etc. Economically a good thing, but a BAD thing as far as guns are concerned IMO.

Most of these new people are coming from CA, NY, FL, Northeast etc.

There is a massive billion dollar Bio-District project underway. Thousands upon thousands of new jobs; A lot of the Bio-professionals that will take these jobs will be highly educated from MD, Wash DC, NY, NJ, CA, and other blue states as well as ALOT of foreigners.

I know, I worked with these types for years; Very liberal, hate guns, and think the South is filled with stupid people.

It may take some time, years in fact, but I see one day Louisianans having to fight for our 2A rights because of what New Orleans may become economically.

These people will get into the local Governments, and reek havoc on anything that isn't in alignment with there secular utopian agenda.

Again, a great thing economically, but we need to really start educating people on what the 2A is really about.

I had to educate some of my friends the other day...smart people, just not engaged. More worried about not being able to shoot ducks more than anything. :rolleyes:

I could be totally off the mark, but I don't think so. We really need to also have kids involved in shooting sports because this is where it will come to a end. I'm sure they are currently being bombarded in school about how guns are evil, and should be eliminated from society.

Don't think it could happen here? Today, maybe not...15 yrs....its possible.

Look what is happening in the blue states. There is a lot of pro gun people in these states.

Their local governments are overrun with left wing loons. Wasn't like that in some of these states 15-20 yrs ago.

Just thinking out loud after my drive in the city today.

Ramble over.......:D

Amen! It just happened in Maryland. When I moved there 23 years ago, it was nothing like it is now. The liberals have completly taken over. They are concentrated in the big cities and dencely poputalted suburbs and have drowned out the rest of the state. When the liberal governor wanted a ban on asault weapons, it didn't mater that the largest crowd in MD history showed up at the senate building to protest. We were ignorred. When the bill went before the Maryland house, over 1300 people signed up to testify agaist the bill and 32 sighned up to testify for the bill. And the bill passed! jcbvh is right. It won't happen over night, but is you ignorre it, they will creep in.

After a few years living in New Orleans, they will all be "gun toters."
    Just sayin.

No they won't. They will be scared, they will band together and they will demand protection. Eventualy, the politicians will promise them everything and win their votes. More votes, more liberal politcians, more laws to protect the sheepeople.

It's worth being aware of the potential... it HAS happened elsewhere!

Look at Maryland where I live. We just had our 2A rights totaly raped by two countys (suburbs of DC) and the city of Baltimore. The liberals voted enough politicians in to stack the vote and they totaly ignorred the thousands of citizens that objected.

Yes, but as more liberals move into Baton Rouge, Aleanderia and Shereveport, their voting power will increase. They will elect liberal politicians and before you know it, the cities will call the shots.

I AM a gun owner. And that ain't my perspective.

My point is there's no conspiracy or anyone plotting to take over New Orleans just to take your gun rights away. Demographics change. It just happens. Wanna blame someone? Blame all the right wing crackers who ditched the city and fled to the northshore, taking their money and influence with them. The void they left is already filled with slums and hippies. That's pretty much the story of every major city and it happened organically, not as part of some evil plot. If you don't like the urban environment, move out of the urban area. Come on out to the suburbs with the rest of us gun ownin' crackers. ;)

There's truth to this. It's those imported high end liberals from liberal state who want "protection" and the hippies that want a hand out that add up the voting block that fills the gove with liberal politicians. It's a slow process, but it happens. I've seen it happen in Maryland and you just saw it happen in Colorado.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The percentage of Democrats in New Orleans Today is less than Pre Katrina and better educated. Should equal a higher percentage of gun owners and less violent crime.
    I am with SpeedRacer on this topic.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I take my liberal friends to the gun range let them shoot a semi-auto shotgun and an "assault weapon" explain the workings of the weapons and how they are not evil and nothing like what the media makes them out to be..... I have had a few converts. Some complete and some still believing that there should be a mag capacity limit. I will break them down eventually.

In regards to the "hipsters" most of those folk are just followers pushing a trendy style. Some are actually creative and trying to make a difference. I have hipster friends that participate in "teach for America" some are socially liberal and fiscally conservative. All in all anyone who comes into a place and is passionate about what they produce and leaves that place better is good to go in my opinion.

Exactly - Win them over

Top Bottom