no guns in Catholic churches

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    I don't understand the whole imbroglio. If you disagree with a church's decision to prohibit weapons in their churches, and it's THAT important to you, then go to another church. One of the immense fallacies that Protestants make regarding Catholicism is they believe it's a democracy. As though they can "vote" to influence their religious leaders. Catholicism doesn't work that way, and if you think it should, then you're a Protestant. Nothing wrong with that, but don't try to make the Catholic church into a Protestant church. Many others have tried, but few have succeeded.

+1 . I also agree you dont need a Church to practice your beliefs but as Christians it is important (according to the Bible) to be part of a Church for support, giving, to be accountable, etc..

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    If you are Catholic, you must go to Mass. If you don't go to Mass, you are not Catholic.
    A Catholic can't just go to another church. This is what makes this situation unique.

A LOT of other churches will NOT ALLOW legal concealed carry and some of their members can and will leave. Catholics will have to seek out another Catholic Church that allows legal concealed carry. In this case, it will not be in Louisiana.

To all you "concealed means concealed" BS'ers that have CHPs - Why do you follow the law by getting your CHP?...
    For the same reason Catholics want to legally carry concealed in Church???

To all you BS'ers who attend churches other than Catholic - Has your church made its decision on legal concealed carry?...
    If so, what is their decision?
    If not, why haven't they decided yet?

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    I grew up Catholic and graduated from Catholic school and I realize that you must go to Mass to be Catholic and that doesnt bother me one bit as long as all Catholics know being a Catholic has nothing to do with pleasing God or getting to Heaven. I was just suggesting if any Catholics felt strongly enough to change churches they may be able to find one closer to what they believe God gives them as a "right" If thats what they believe. If someone truly believes the right to proect yourself and family is a God given right and the religion they subscribe to takes that away wouldnt that be ummmm "not good". Just saying..I dont happen to think God gave us any "RIGHTS" just instructions on how to live and some promise of outcomes if we live that instructed way.
    My Church has a school connected to it anyways so I guess it doesnt matter. The Pastor does shoot an AR though.:cool:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    If you are Catholic, you must go to Mass. If you don't go to Mass, you are not Catholic.
    A Catholic can't just go to another church. This is what makes this situation unique.

A LOT of other churches will NOT ALLOW legal concealed carry and some of their members can and will leave. Catholics will have to seek out another Catholic Church that allows legal concealed carry. In this case, it will not be in Louisiana.

To all you "concealed means concealed" BS'ers that have CHPs - Why do you follow the law by getting your CHP?...
    For the same reason Catholics want to legally carry concealed in Church???

To all you BS'ers who attend churches other than Catholic - Has your church made its decision on legal concealed carry?...
    If so, what is their decision?
    If not, why haven't they decided yet?

Because the archbishop speaks with the authority of the pope, if you don't submit to the authority of the archbishop, you are also not a Catholic, and therefore you are free to attend another church. If Texas Catholic churches allow concealed carry, and it's that important to you, then move to Texas.

Last edited:

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Because the archbishop speaks with the authority of the pope, if you don't submit to the authority of the archbishop, you are also not a Catholic, and therefore you are free to attend another church. If Texas Catholic churches allow concealed carry, and it's that important to you, then move to Texas.

Not quite right...

If the magisterium hasn't officially ruled on a subject, then the Bishop is not necessarily speaking with any authority.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I grew up Catholic and graduated from Catholic school and I realize that you must go to Mass to be Catholic and that doesnt bother me one bit as long as all Catholics know being a Catholic has nothing to do with pleasing God or getting to Heaven. I was just suggesting if any Catholics felt strongly enough to change churches they may be able to find one closer to what they believe God gives them as a "right" If thats what they believe. If someone truly believes the right to proect yourself and family is a God given right and the religion they subscribe to takes that away wouldnt that be ummmm "not good". Just saying..I dont happen to think God gave us any "RIGHTS" just instructions on how to live and some promise of outcomes if we live that instructed way.
    My Church has a school connected to it anyways so I guess it doesnt matter. The Pastor does shoot an AR though.:cool:

If "being a Catholic has nothing to do with pleasing God or getting to Heaven." then to Hell with it.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    please read my post as well as yours. I said leave to the pros/trained people to provide security in that sit.

I have more training AND real world experence than 99% of cops.

And YOU SIR are a *Edited to say.... one who is VERY incorrect about MANY things and who needs to read much more and expand his knowledge* who does not understand ether freedom, OR the ideals this country was founded upon.

THis 'Let someone else deal with it' is the type of thinking which GOT us in this situation to BEGIN with. (Meaning the current state of the country)

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If you shoot someone in church on self defense, is that still a sin?

God will have to answer that.

For some, it's "thou shall not commit murder" and for some it's "thou shall not kill"

I think it's the former, but either way it doesn't matter as for as Christianity goes as one can be forgiven for their sins.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Just curious, but if you can be forgiven anyway, what's th motivation to live a good life. If I am understanding you right, I cam rape and murder all I want, and then be forgiven.

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    Nolacop - the first flaw in that reasoning is that it assumes you would know the hour of your death. Christians believe that one must repent of one's sins before death to be forgiven. Catholics, in particular, recognize the sacrament of reconciliation (confession) for the forgiveness of sin, although one can be truly repentant (for example, on his death bed) w/o benefit of confession. At no time may one sin, confess and be forgiven without intending - genuinely - to not sin again. One will sin again, of course, because of the fallen nature of man, but, to receive absolution, one must be truly sorry for the past sin and truly intend not to sin again.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    But if I live a life of sin, and then repent on my deathbed, then I am good to go like the guy who went to church every Saturday.

If you genuinely are sorry for what you have done - and not just because of the temperate climate to which you're heading - you are good to go. Of course there is no guarantee. God does as God wills. Probably best to be on the safe side.

:)

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    By the way, living a Christian life solely for the purpose of getting into heaven won't get you there either. You have to genuinely love God and your fellow man. If you do, then the errant nature of your soul won't keep you out.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Just curious, but if you can be forgiven anyway, what's th motivation to live a good life. If I am understanding you right, I cam rape and murder all I want, and then be forgiven.

It's possible to meet Hitler or Stalin in heaven. Christianity is built on the idea is that we are just a bunch of screw ups and have to be forgiven because we aren't going to get it right.

That being said, it's a bit more complicated than saying "I'm sorry" you have to mean it in your heart and accept Christs gift of forgiveness.

The whole possibility of Hitler being forgiven made me think once. Do we have any real idea what "bad" is. Maybe we think we do, but have no real idea on what pain and evil could be.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom