No more State Income taxes? Maybe...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Your disagreement is based upon the flawed assumption that you can trust Jindal to do what is best for the people of Louisiana.

To be fair, your only attack is based upon guessing that it won't go as planned and have provided no concrete support for that other than your suspicion and bad feelings about him, or his idea.

In contrast, those in support of it, or merely in support of rational discussion maybe, have cited statements and proposal text which outline the actual changes being talked about.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I, for one, do not look forward to having to collect sales tax from my clients, keep MORE tax records, and turn in monthly reports and collections. This will be a HUGE infringement on my time and my ability to produce.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    I, for one, do not look forward to having to collect sales tax from my clients, keep MORE tax records, and turn in monthly reports and collections. This will be a HUGE infringement on my time and my ability to produce.

So you would rather keep paying an income tax and preparing that return yearly? How many hours of your time is invested there? how much of your money?

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge

I'm thinking this same thing. It's going to be a serious head ache.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Abolish the Homestead Exemption. -- make all property/homeowners pay their fair share.

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will agree that the devil is in the details. Not enough info here, when it comes to professional services what about your doctor's office visit, what about if you need surgery (expensive)? Is your insurance gonna pay sales tax on your appendectomy? I think not. Need more information. GW

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I will agree that the devil is in the details. Not enough info here, when it comes to professional services what about your doctor's office visit, what about if you need surgery (expensive)? Is your insurance gonna pay sales tax on your appendectomy? I think not. Need more information. GW
    Info is there already.

There's a good bit here: http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&articleID=3950
    Reducing the number of tax exemptions has many benefits, including limiting the state sales tax rate increase required to generate sufficient revenue and greater stability in revenues. The sales tax exemptions retained under the plan will help protect low-income residents and also preserve Louisiana’s business competitiveness. These include:
    • Constitutionally protected sales tax exemptions, including food for home consumption, residential utilities, prescription drugs and fuel.
    • Manufacturing, machinery, and equipment (MM&E), non-residential utilities, farm and agriculture, drilling rigs, vessels greater than 50 tons, tangible personal property for lease or rental, manufacturers’ rebates and trade-in value on new vehicle purchases, and preservation/rehabilitation of historic structures.
    • Exemptions for vendors compensations
    • Exemptions for certain non-profit organizations (religious, military, disabled)
    • Sales tax exemptions on purchases whose cost is already borne by the taxpayer: those made by federal, state and local governments.

The services added to the state sales tax base include personal, professional and other services that are currently excluded from the state sales tax base. The services that will be excluded include healthcare, education, construction, real estate, financial services, legal services, oil and gas services, and funerals. The purchase of advertisement (*buys*) will be excluded. The plan will also protect small service providers by creating a *de minimis* exemption that will exclude any service providers with annual revenue under $10,000. The plan will also modify some severance tax exemptions.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    To be fair, your only attack is based upon guessing that it won't go as planned and have provided no concrete support for that other than your suspicion and bad feelings about him, or his idea.

In contrast, those in support of it, or merely in support of rational discussion maybe, have cited statements and proposal text which outline the actual changes being talked about.

An attack?

Really?

Show me where I attacked anyone?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    An attack?

Really?

Show me where I attacked anyone?

Attack to the tax plan / issue at hand... calm your pipes, I wasn't accusing you of anything malicious :P A debate-attack only. Well, other than attacking Jindal's character/credibility, but I wasn't talking about that, and I don't much protest anyone who chooses to insult the character/credibility of any politician because no matter what, they're still a politician :P

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    eliminate income tax and tax services. I love the idea personally. Drug dealers, entitlement frauders, and welfare scrubs that dont earn income DO buy services. Let's get some taxes from their behinds.

and to whomever said abolish the homestead exemption ...you sound like the kind of guy thats been renting for 20 years. call a real estate agent asap.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Attack to the tax plan / issue at hand... calm your pipes, I wasn't accusing you of anything malicious :P A debate-attack only. Well, other than attacking Jindal's character/credibility, but I wasn't talking about that, and I don't much protest anyone who chooses to insult the character/credibility of any politician because no matter what, they're still a politician :P

lol. why cant the entire country rally behind the idea that democrat or republican, the problem is POLITICIANS.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Homestead exemption is an entirely different matter. . .

. . . but I can see the point of the guy saying to abolish it.

It's just another way for people who don't pay any (or very little) property tax to vote on a tax to folks who do. But in the end the property tax bill just trickles down to the tenants of the apartment complex, or added to the price of the product the factory produces, etc.

I don't believe in nonpayers being able to vote for others to pay.

The worst example of this is St. Charles Parish. Virtually zero homeowners (until new homes have started popping up about ten years ago) pay any significant property tax, as their homes fall well under the homestead exemption. So the parish has huge millages and it's all paid for by the factories and everybody who has built a home in the past decade or so. Because of all the new homes, etc., the parish has huge tax surpluses year after year, and instead of resetting the millages as provided for in the constitution, they simply find ways to waste all of the money.

So, the new folks putting money into the community and moving to St. Charles Parish get loaded up with a big tax bill every year and the old timers who don't pay anything continue to vote for the millages (or vote for the council members who vote to keep the extra mills).

Still, in Louisiana the homestead exemption is cherished by everyone and is here to stay for a long time to come.

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    So you would rather keep paying an income tax and preparing that return yearly? How many hours of your time is invested there? how much of your money?

Actually, yes. It takes me only a few hours once a year to do both my federal and state taxes. I'd much rather have only one session a year than one session a month.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    eliminate income tax and tax services. I love the idea personally. Drug dealers, entitlement frauders, and welfare scrubs that dont earn income DO buy services. Let's get some taxes from their behinds.

and to whomever said abolish the homestead exemption ...you sound like the kind of guy thats been renting for 20 years. call a real estate agent asap.

Actually, no, I own my home. No, I'm sick and tired of folks who DON'T own (i.e. renters, tenants, etc) that GET TO VOTE on millage increases who are completely homestead exempt. Why do I have to pay $1,750/year when they get a free ride. What I want is for EVERYONE to pay their fair share. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH - The Homestead exemption was set up in Louisiana by Huey P. Long as a way to get the MAJORITY of the voters in the state exempt from property taxes -- a way of guaranteeing his re-election.

They don't pay but get the SAME police & fire protection, use of schools, libraries, parks, roadways, and all other PROPERTY TAX SUPPORTED programs....

Everyone should pay their fair share, actually with more people paying in, they can drop the millage rates overall.....

So THINK ABOUT IT.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Actually, no, I own my home. No, I'm sick and tired of folks who DON'T own (i.e. renters, tenants, etc) that GET TO VOTE on millage increases who are completely homestead exempt. Why do I have to pay $1,750/year when they get a free ride. What I want is for EVERYONE to pay their fair share. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH - The Homestead exemption was set up in Louisiana by Huey P. Long as a way to get the MAJORITY of the voters in the state exempt from property taxes -- a way of guaranteeing his re-election.

They don't pay but get the SAME police & fire protection, use of schools, libraries, parks, roadways, and all other PROPERTY TAX SUPPORTED programs....

Everyone should pay their fair share, actually with more people paying in, they can drop the millage rates overall.....

So THINK ABOUT IT.

Thinking.
    Considered.
    Disagree.

Homesteading allows for a predetermined deduction of a dollar amount from the assessed value to determine property taxes. this provides a $25,000 deduction in the assessed value of a home for property tax liabilities. The deduction translates to a savings of between seven and eight hundred dollars a year. It also provides restrictions on the conditions of losing your home during civil suits and some specific legal matters (other than nonpayment of mortgage). I divide the taxes up and increase the monthly rent on my properties, I don't pay taxes- my tenants do. I meanwhile enjoy the equity of the property for whatever financial purpose arises.

Furthermore, I completely agree that they need to pay something. Let's tax their services. Every time they get their nails done, their "hair did", a city bus ride, cab ride, etc they'd be paying tax. Not everyone earns income. EVERYONE buys services at some point or another.

Last edited:

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Let's end property tax all together, and privatize and make voluntary subscription to the police & fire protection, use of schools, libraries, parks, roadways, etc.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I am bored in the lsu union right now and read two articles in our student newspaper about the proposed tax change and how it will hurt college students, and I disagree completely. I don't really see this hurting too many people in general. 1.8 cents per dollar spent really isn't that much and really shouldn't make or break it for some, but it could really help our state and bring in more money (with of course the few added taxes proposed). I am all for this happening and I can only hope!! Also, I don't smoke and don't really like people smoking around me, so I am completely ok with the cigarette tax being bumped up.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom