NOPD Facial Recognition

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M_Lee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2021
    Metairie, LA
    I did not state "US history tells a different story"
    The US has not been around very long in the grand scheme of things. Governments betraying their people on the other hand, well that's as old as history itself.
    Data collection / privacy invasion goes hand in hand with communism, I thought this was common knowledge.
    Actually it goes hand in hand with more than just Communism. Hitler's fascist regime depended on it as do various dictatorships in world history. We in the US have supreme court rulings in regards to privacy invasion, search and seizure, wiretaps etc etc etc. Is it perfect? Nah, nothing is. One should never expect perfection anywhere, as one will be highly disappointed if they do.
    My cellphone tracks me. My car GPS tracks me. Everywhere I go these days I'm on a security camera, including my own in the house lol. We all enjoy the benefits things like that provide.

M_Lee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2021
    Metairie, LA
    Well, there was that George Orwell book, 1984, but that’ll never happen…
    Oh wait…

Seriously though, to each his own. If you don’t value your privacy any more than that, you’ll fit right in soon enough. Anyone who doesn’t think that sooner than later the state will know all there is to know about them 24/7 is pretty naive at this point. If you haven’t guessed, there are no laws that actually prevent the police state from doing what it wants to do. Oh sure, there are laws that are meant to prevent such activity, but much like criminals ignore the law….
    Here’s a scenario for you:
    Horrendous murder is discovered. Detectives pull up cellular tracking data and the only ping the see within feet of the scene happens to belong to you. For whatever reason, right about the time they believe the murder occurred, you happened to be at the door of that home or doing something right near wherever the crime took place. Before you know it, you’re dragged into jail and questioned and have to retain an attorney and so on while you maybe miss work, fall under a mother lode of scrutiny from family, friends, boss and coworkers and suffer who knows what else. Even if you’re exonerated later, that’s a lot to go through and things like this have indeed happened. I bet I could search and find a plethora of examples where lack of privacy could or has led to untold harm to people. People who felt they had nothing to hide.
    Yeah, sorry but there's more to a murder investigation then that Dr. Richard Kimble The Fugitive one you just described. I was waiting for you to throw in a one armed man into the scenario. I just don't have that vivid an imagination.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Actually it goes hand in hand with more than just Communism. Hitler's fascist regime depended on it as do various dictatorships in world history. We in the US have supreme court rulings in regards to privacy invasion, search and seizure, wiretaps etc etc etc. Is it perfect? Nah, nothing is. One should never expect perfection anywhere, as one will be highly disappointed if they do.
    My cellphone tracks me. My car GPS tracks me. Everywhere I go these days I'm on a security camera, including my own in the house lol. We all enjoy the benefits things like that provide.
    A lot of people tend to forget about their personal electronic trackers that they carry everywhere. I resisted smartphones for probably 5 years or so, sticking with little flip phones for this very reason. Obviously, I eventually caved and so did pretty much everyone else that was holding out. The smartphone, in it's current form, is pretty much the definition of 1984. Everything about us is tracked with our smartphone. It listens to us, it tracks our location, and it knows more about us than anyone else.
    There are laws that should prevent entities from having access to the information in our smartphone, and yet they do it anyway without our permission.
    I personally turn off all location, microphone, camera, and any other permissions that I can, while still having a functional device. I do not use any voice command services. I store nothing personal in the cloud except for contacts, I have lost many pictures over the years because of this. None of this matters though, it just makes me feel a little better and maybe it makes them jump through an additional hoop to get my information, but they can and they will still get what they want.
    Having the mentality of, "I'm not breaking any laws, so I don't care about privacy", is not the way anyone that lives in a constitutional republic should have to feel. Maybe it doesn't change anything, but the change we speak of is not something that happens overnight. This kind of change happens over generations. Imagine if 100 years ago, you told the average US citizen that they will eventually carry around a device that will track their every move and even a lot of their thoughts and private conversations; they would call you a liar and go on to tell you that there are laws in place to prevent that.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    A lot of people tend to forget about their personal electronic trackers that they carry everywhere. I resisted smartphones for probably 5 years or so, sticking with little flip phones for this very reason. Obviously, I eventually caved and so did pretty much everyone else that was holding out. The smartphone, in it's current form, is pretty much the definition of 1984. Everything about us is tracked with our smartphone. It listens to us, it tracks our location, and it knows more about us than anyone else.
    There are laws that should prevent entities from having access to the information in our smartphone, and yet they do it anyway without our permission.
    I personally turn off all location, microphone, camera, and any other permissions that I can, while still having a functional device. I do not use any voice command services. I store nothing personal in the cloud except for contacts, I have lost many pictures over the years because of this. None of this matters though, it just makes me feel a little better and maybe it makes them jump through an additional hoop to get my information, but they can and they will still get what they want.
    Having the mentality of, "I'm not breaking any laws, so I don't care about privacy", is not the way anyone that lives in a constitutional republic should have to feel. Maybe it doesn't change anything, but the change we speak of is not something that happens overnight. This kind of change happens over generations. Imagine if 100 years ago, you told the average US citizen that they will eventually carry around a device that will track their every move and even a lot of their thoughts and private conversations; they would call you a liar and go on to tell you that there are laws in place to prevent that.

If you could ever see a “cellphone dump” after getting a warrant, you wouldn’t even waste your time trying to turn stuff off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Yeah, sorry but there's more to a murder investigation then that Dr. Richard Kimble The Fugitive one you just described. I was waiting for you to throw in a one armed man into the scenario. I just don't have that vivid an imagination.

Come on man, quit ruining it for me.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Hey, I’m just saying, if you think there’s never any harm in people invading your privacy then you should be blissful. Everyone has a different version of protecting themselves and their rights. I have nothing incriminating to hide, but there’s plenty of info I’d rather not share with anyone not of my choosing for plenty of good reasons and I won’t accept finger pointing simply because I’m protecting my privacy.

TickleChain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Castle Doctrine
    If you could ever see a “cellphone dump” after getting a warrant, you wouldn’t even waste your time trying to turn stuff off.

What do you mean?

I've been through a LOT with being hit by "cyber criminals" and I take many precautions to try to overcome that problem.

One of those efforts is using Express VPN ($100/year). I never store passwords on devices, etc.

I recently bought a new Macbook for producing music and videos ($3600) and any information I can get may help me protect myself in Our electronic world.

Might you expound upon your "cellphone dump" mention?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    What do you mean?

I've been through a LOT with being hit by "cyber criminals" and I take many precautions to try to overcome that problem.

One of those efforts is using Express VPN ($100/year). I never store passwords on devices, etc.

I recently bought a new Macbook for producing music and videos ($3600) and any information I can get may help me protect myself in Our electronic world.

Might you expound upon your "cellphone dump" mention?

I’m not going to get detailed about the info gathered, but your phone is a treasure trove of info no matter what steps you think you are taking.

TickleChain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Castle Doctrine
    I’m not going to get detailed about the info gathered, but your phone is a treasure trove of info no matter what steps you think you are taking.

Many Thanks, Boss Man Motor.
    Every little bit *can potentially help Us* protect Ourselves in an electronic world that hackers/cyber criminals use against Us.

***statement removed to avoid misconstruance***

(*Edited for correctness*)

Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    There are much more effective and entertaining methods. Typical wipes will not erase everything. I personally would never sell any of my devices. I use them until I've got my money's worth out of them, then discard them safely.
    26e82bad5f6a2e09ccb0b2ddaddfb529.jpg
    b1c229f9d1c0b306c732a50bac2c1167.jpg
    c09000c071c73ed617b99e46e0e031c9.jpg
    8610f0c5231f9fedf3ada8333f436de7.jpg

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Many Thanks, Boss Man Motor.
    Every little bit *can potentially help Us* protect Ourselves in an electronic world that hackers/cyber criminals use against Us.

***statement removed to avoid misconstruance***

(*Edited for correctness*)
    The best way to protect yourself is not to avoid the technology but to embrace it. Get a phone with the best encryption possible. Make it as hard as possible to get to the information. Motor is not kidding about it being a treasure trove of information.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I do not have anything on my new phone. The people that normally work on phones for a living told me my old phone and my new phone are different and they cannot transfer my contacts to my new phone. A friend transferred all my contacts to a cloud but I cannot figure out how to transfer them from the cloud to my new phone. I told him I did not know which cloud they were in and I will compensate him to transfer from the cloud to my new phone as soon as he is available.

TickleChain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Castle Doctrine
    There are much more effective and entertaining methods. Typical wipes will not erase everything. I personally would never sell any of my devices. I use them until I've got my money's worth out of them, then discard them safely.
    26e82bad5f6a2e09ccb0b2ddaddfb529.jpg
    b1c229f9d1c0b306c732a50bac2c1167.jpg
    c09000c071c73ed617b99e46e0e031c9.jpg
    8610f0c5231f9fedf3ada8333f436de7.jpg
    A new phone needs to happen soon. Pondering an iPhone 13 Pro Max unless there are more-secure options.

Although not the whole story, security is paramount.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    A new phone needs to happen soon. Pondering an iPhone 13 Pro Max unless there are more-secure options.

Although not the whole story, security is paramount.
    There are always more secure options than anything standard.

Check out this company:

For the average Joe who doesn't commit crimes on the reg, just continuing to practice safe interneting is probably the best bet.

Using a VPN is probably not necessary for most people in most places.

The biggest and most important thing is using actual secure passwords and not the same email address for everything.

TickleChain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Castle Doctrine
    There are always more secure options than anything standard.

Check out this company:

For the average Joe who doesn't commit crimes on the reg, just continuing to practice safe interneting is probably the best bet.

Using a VPN is probably not necessary for most people in most places.

The biggest and most important thing is using actual secure passwords and not the same email address for everything.
    Many Thanks, Austin!
    I have that bookmarked and will definitely check them out when time permits on my next shift (starting at midnight).

Crime has no place in my life.

Last edited:

TickleChain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Castle Doctrine
    Last one before I crash.

I think it deserves mention, reminder, due to these recent posts on this thread.

Let Us not quickly forget about the Solar Winds hack.
    That's major chit.

Top Bottom