OC....Good or Bad?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OC...Good or Bad?

• Total voters

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I'm fine with being around an OCer in public.

BG comes in and either is deterred by the OCer or shoots him, allowing me time to gtfo (or take cover, etc). :o

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    not_this_shit_again.jpg

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    The public was once used to OC and can be made that way again, if we are careful, courteous, and don't try to make a big deal out of it.

For our sake, don't get in anyone's face about laws and rights. And, never, ever, ever threaten anyone. Or, "brandish". Just say "I'm sorry you don't agree, but this is very, very legal"; then quietly leave.

Most of the arguments favoring C.C. are valid, but that doesn't mean that O.C. is wrong.

The goal of O.C.'ing now is to make folks comfortable with it again. When you OC, you are an ambassador for us all. Don't mess up.

leVieux

Last edited:

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I am 67 y.o., 6'1", neatly dressed, and very, very courteous.

This is a point I wanted to make earlier, but I forgot. Someone who dress neatly and professionally while OC probably will not attract too much attention. I know when I see someone like that who OC, I always automatically assume its LEO. Furthermore, for one who dresses sloppy and unappealing like I do (hey, I like to be comfortable), and OC while dressed that way, it will definitely raise some eyebrows or turn some heads, if not more.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Provoking police departments into violating your right to OC so that you can sue them for money is NOT good for the rest of us. Going out looking for publicity because you can OC is again not good for the rest of us.
    Having the option to walk in the woods or on a country road with a pistol is a good thing.
    I CC 99% of the time. Sometimes I both CC and OC in a particularly bad neighborhood. I want people to know that I'm armed sometimes. Sometimes I want more firepower than a .380 and know its going to be visible anyway, so I might as well be open about it. Some neighborhoods I'd sling an MP5SD if I had one!
    Its nice to have the option and I really don't want the OC rights crowd to screw it up for the rest of us.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I CC all the time, occasionally I OC when fishing, or doing something outdoors. When shopping, running errands, etc it is strictly CC.

I did however one time have my shirt get caught and my pistol was visible for who knows how long. I have since changed the way I carry, but nobody said a thing. I think it has a large part to do with how you carry yourself, not how you carry.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Boo-- I liked the last option when it was JBT's and hot donuts.

As I stated before, and others have since voiced, OC certainly has a place. Primarily, for those without a concealed carry permit for any valid reason-- not yet of age, waiting for the papers to clear, unable to afford one at any given time, or having let their permit lapse. I also agree that for many outdoor activities, it's a better choice if for no other reason than clothing or equipment constraints.

OC attracts attention that CC does not. This might be in terms of deterring criminals, making one the first target, getting "hassled" by an uninformed LEO or civilian, or stopped by a curious onlooker and asked about the weapon. Regardless of the details, it's attention nonetheless-- and I don't like attention as a result of being armed.

Last edited:

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    This is a point I wanted to make earlier, but I forgot. Someone who dress neatly and professionally while OC probably will not attract too much attention. I know when I see someone like that who OC, I always automatically assume its LEO. Furthermore, for one who dresses sloppy and unappealing like I do (hey, I like to be comfortable), and OC while dressed that way, it will definitely raise some eyebrows or turn some heads, if not more.

I open carry while wearing cargo shorts, a tshirt, and sandals more often than I do wearing pants and a polo. Just how it ends up, since I carry more on the weekends than on weekdays.

People -still- assume I'm a cop when I'm wearing shorts and a tshirt, lol. I even have big ol' mutton chop side burns... not typical of police in this century.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I voted for 2, 3, & 4.

"Tactical Advantage", IMHO, can have different meanings in different situations.

The older I get, the more I am inclined to believe that the majority of people who are "frightened" by the sight of a handgun (or any other gun) cannot be convinced that the freedom to bear arms is a good thing, and cowering to their demands does nothing to further the cause of freedom- but does actually diminish it.

Lowering standards to the level of the ignorant in society is never a good thing. It fails miserably in our public education systems- and I believe the same prinicipal applies here.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    By the by; for the most part OC has never been PC in Urban America. In the 17 and 1800's most towns and cities had laws banning the public display of firearms. I learned that from Wild West Tech on the History Channel.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sollidus_
    Top Bottom