Off Duty Shooting / Food For Thought

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • local2fed

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Read this recently on another forum. It provides some first hand insight and post analysis of an off duty shooting. This hit home because Im guilty of not carrying a spare magazine while off duty. Enjoy.

I had taken my family to a McDonald’s Restaurant on our way to a pool party. I was off-duty, in civilian clothes, and armed.

I was standing in line and oblivious (like all the other patrons) to the fact that an armed suspect had taken the manager hostage and was forcing her to open the safe in the restaurant’s office. One of the cashiers had seen this and I overheard her telling another employee that the business was being robbed.

At that time, I had approximately 15 years of experience and was a SWAT team member and use-of-force/firearms instructor. I had talked to my wife about such an occurrence and we had a preplanned response. When I told her to take the children and leave the building, she did not hesitate. I began quietly telling employees and patrons to leave. My thinking was to remove as many innocent bystanders as possible and then leave myself.

I thought that because I did not see the suspect enter he must have come in from a side door or employee entrance and I assumed (wrongly) that he would go out the same way. As I was standing near the front counter trying to get some of the kitchen help to get out, the suspect came from the office area and began running in my direction.

I immediately noted the large semi-automatic pistol in his hand. The distance was about 15 to 20 yards. I drew my weapon, announced myself and took a kneeling position behind the counter. Unfortunately, the suspect raised his weapon at me and the gunfight erupted. The suspect fired a total of 2 rounds in my direction. I fired 11, striking him 10 times.

My weapon was now empty and I ran from the line of fire to reload my spare magazine. I then approached the downed suspect and could tell that he was seriously wounded. It was right then that I considered that there might be more than one "bad guy" (the thought had not crossed my mind before this) and I began to scan the 360 to check.

I immediately noticed a small child lying behind me. I saw blood pooling under her head and knew at a glance she was dead. One of the bullets fired at me had struck this child. Unbeknownst to me, my family had tried to exit out the fire door, which was locked. My wife was still trying to get out when the shooting started and she pushed my kids under a table where they all witnessed the gunfight.

The end result was that the suspect died, I survived, but a 9-year-old girl did not.

I tell you this story because I think that this topic is of utmost importance. It is largely ignored in mainstream police training. I want to tell you some of the lessons I learned from this incident:

If you are going to carry a firearm off-duty, you should carry extra ammo. Security camera video of this incident revealed that I fired all 11 rounds from my Glock 26 in about 2 seconds. My extra mag held 17 rounds. Words cannot describe the emotion I felt when I slammed that mag into my weapon and was able to still be in the fight.

Mostly because of circumstances (distance) and my training, my rounds were on target. It could have happened differently and the reality is that most of us miss more than we hit when involved in a gun battle.

You cannot have the typical police mind-set in an off-duty situation. I ended up in this incident without a radio, without backup, without body armor, handcuffs, other force options and without taking the time to think it through. I was truly most frightened when the gunfight was over and I was standing there covering the suspect with my weapon in my T-shirt and shorts.

I was really worried that one of my own guys might not recognize me. I was worried too that there might be some other off-duty copper around who would think I was the bad guy.

The smartest, most responsible thing I could have done would have been to take care of my family first. I should have seen personally to their safety. If I had grabbed them and gone outside, I would have spared them this entire experience and that little girl would probably still be alive today.

Again, words cannot describe the emotions that we all went through after this incident. I recognized afterward that it could have been one of my children lying dead because of my actions. When you are off-duty your first responsibility is to your family. You should never forget this.

I survived this incident. Partly due to my training and tactics. Partly due to God's grace and blind luck. But the other side of the coin is that I got into this incident because of my training. I switched immediately into “cop” mode without stopping to consider that I was at a great tactical disadvantage. Most of us are driven and dedicated to the point of self destruction and I think good cops die because we are taught to place our personal safety second when others are in danger.

Because I had never trained realistically for a situation like this, I was unprepared. Most of the guys I worked with then and now carry off-duty weapons. But few of them, if any, have really taken the time to engage in realistic training and preparation for how to handle an off-duty incident.

Training can be as simple as discussing these types of situations with your coworkers. Since this shooting, I have devoted at least one quarterly range session with my students to off-duty encounters and the associated considerations.

The responsibility of carrying a firearm is huge. I had devoted countless hours to training for the fight, but was not fully prepared for the aftermath. None of the training scenarios, books, films, etc. that I learned from touched upon the fact that when you take that gun out and decide to take action, 9-year-old kids can get killed. Even if you do everything by the book, use good tactics, and are within policy and the law, the outcome can still be negative.

You have to remember that the suspect does not go to the range and he does not practice rules of weapons safety. He does not care about what's in his line of fire. If it’s you or him, you gotta do what you gotta do, but whether you’re on-duty or off-duty we need to train to look at the totality of the incident.

Letting the bad guy go because doing otherwise would place innocent people in grave danger needs to be more “socially acceptable” amongst our ranks. I think we're starting to see more of this in the pursuit policies of most agencies and I have tried to carry this message over into my training and teaching.

I guess the bottom line here is that it’s good to be on “auto pilot” when it comes to tactics in these situations, but we can’t go on auto pilot in our assessment and examination of the environment and circumstances leading up to and during the event. On-duty mind-set and off-duty mind-set need to be strongly separated and the boundaries clear.

- A California Sergeant

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    This guy is too hard on himself but sounds like he indeed has gained much wisdom from the incident.

Training can be as simple as discussing these types of situations with your coworkers. Since this shooting, I have devoted at least one quarterly range session with my students to off-duty encounters and the associated considerations.

Which is why I enjoy the TDG's(Tactical Decision Games) we go over here on the site time and time again. If you do not even THINK about possible situations that could occur to you while carrying your firearm, if you don't even THINK about them, you are in the WRONG!

This is a great story that could have happen to ANY citizen carrying a firearm, not just LEO's. Any armed citizen could have been put in the same situation. Great Read, especially around the busiest time for criminals, The Holidays!

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    Letting the bad guy go because doing otherwise would place innocent people in grave danger needs to be more “socially acceptable” amongst our ranks.

....sends a message that it is acceptable to society if there are more unpursued dirtballs amongst our civilian ranks. :mad:

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Why would anyone second guess his actions? Obviously the BG had it in him to kill before he saw the cop. The cop didn't force the BG to stop shooting. That was his own decision.

The only one responsible for the death of that innocent little girl is the other douch-nozzle that got 10 additional holes put in him.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    So its better to jump into a situation with no clue as to whats going on then it is to figure out the tactical problem before trying to solve it? I'm not saying there are not very valid incidents that one must involve themselves in but what I am saying is most of the time you are better off being a good witness. Feel free too disagree. I'm certainly not a coward I'm just wiser and more experienced now and my responses are more measured by that expirence.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    99.9% of the time the best thing an off-duty cop or armed citizen can do is be a good witness and not get involved.

I tend to agree in MOST situations.

The reason being because as an off-duty officer, unless it is a kiling in progress, most are not properly equipped to habdle it in a LE capacity. No radio, no cuffs, no car to secure, no vest, no less-lethal.

Now, obviously there are times when action is appropriate and necessary, but a lot of the situations I have seen guys jump into and even I was guilty of in my younger days would have been best served by me calling the station, getting unit in route, and letting a uniformed officer handle it.

I think moreso for the AVERAGE citizen, as those who are armed have most likely only been to a CHP class, which is woefully inadequate for its intended purpose, much less for equipping someone with the skills to handle most violent encounters. Again, if someone is about to die or is in the process of killing, then the answer is normally pretty obvious...make it stop.

However, when you se something as a third party, it is almost guaranteed that you do not have all the facts and are opening yourself for haveing the best of intentions, but severely screwing the pooch. We go over a couple of these scenarios in my CHP class, and ineveitably the students walk right into what appears to be the right answer but actually is not and results in an innocent death, normally their own also, and the obligatory jail time and civil suits.

Unless you or yours are in immenent danger, or someone else is obviously about to die and you know for a fact that they are indeed the good guy...get a description and call 911.

Leopardcurdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Hattiesburg, Ms
    I drew my weapon, announced myself

Speaking of training, folks need to untrain themselves from this nonsense. If a person needs killing, kill them. Who other then Hollywood, mandates talking, announcing, challenging, ordering, etc., first.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I drew my weapon, announced myself

Speaking of training, folks need to untrain themselves from this nonsense. If a person needs killing, kill them. Who other then Hollywood, mandates talking, announcing, challenging, ordering, etc., first.

There are times when verbal commands are appropriate and necessary, and there are times when they are not due to the dynamics of the situation, most notably time and distance. I have given literally thousands more verbal commands with my weapon drawn where I did not fire than I have simply drawn and shot someone like a sniper. I would be willing to bet most all LEO on this site would agree to the same in their experience.

However, those rules change slightly for LEO and non-LEO due to public expectations of how how LEO should act and also the fact that they are constrained by departmental policies which are often more restrictive than actual law.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I feel terrible for the officer, but HE did not kill the child- the robber did.

I'm sure that he did indeed picture his own child when he looked at the body of that little girl. Most fathers in that situation would do the same.

This is the writing of a man who blames himself for the death of a child.
    But the fact remains, it wasn't his fault. Only God knows what the alternate results would have been had he not engaged the armed robber.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    There are times when verbal commands are appropriate and necessary, and there are times when they are not due to the dynamics of the situation, most notably time and distance. I have given literally thousands more verbal commands with my weapon drawn where I did not fire than I have simply drawn and shot someone like a sniper. I would be willing to bet most all LEO on this site would agree to the same in their experience.

However, those rules change slightly for LEO and non-LEO due to public expectations of how how LEO should act and also the fact that they are constrained by departmental policies which are often more restrictive than actual law.

What he said.

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    I think what the officer was trying to say was that his confronting of the robber whilst armed, caused an escalation of the situation, resulting in a shootout.
    The truth is, no one can ever know if the gunfire would have been inevitable regardless of his actions. Although this situation may not be a "cut and try" example, the point that I think he is trying to get is across is to pre-think and evaluate these situations.
    I think it is obvious that the officer believes it would have ended differently had he simply "laid in wait" and only reacted if absolutely nessecary.
    The reality of it is that this is his way of seeing and dealing with the trauma of the event. We can all agree that each and everyone of us would view, understand and deal with it differently. It's the old "infinite variables" argument.
    With that being said, I think the main point is a good point. And that is there is more preparation required with the responsibility of being armed than simply punching holes is paper. Knowing and planning ahead of time for different scenarios is as important as accuracy.

Leopardcurdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Hattiesburg, Ms

I agree there are times when verbal commands are appropriate. From what I read, I do not think a verbal command was appropriate in that case. I'm not trying to Monday morning QB 5 years later, just pointing out that some folks are so locked into the training they get from Hollywood, that it's an automatic response on their part. I've worked on 2 different police departments, and neither one required any warnings or commands. I'm not familiar with any state statues that require a warning. Not saying there aren't any, I'm just not aware of them.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I agree there are times when verbal commands are appropriate. From what I read, I do not think a verbal command was appropriate in that case. I'm not trying to Monday morning QB 5 years later, just pointing out that some folks are so locked into the training they get from Hollywood, that it's an automatic response on their part. I've worked on 2 different police departments, and neither one required any warnings or commands. I'm not familiar with any state statues that require a warning. Not saying there aren't any, I'm just not aware of them.

There are no state statutes that require verbal warnings, yet, and I know that for a fact. However, every department I have been on and every one I have trained or been trained by has verbal commands as a part of their training. Not to mention that LA POST, the agency that "certifies" police officers REQUIRES verbal commands as part of their firearms qualification....I would say it is very important.

However, that is not the point. Your post came across as anyone who gives verbal commands is a fool. If your other two departmens did not train in verbal commands, then feel lucky you got out before you were involved in a shooting and subsequent federal civil rights trial. Not sure how long ago you were an officer, but times have obviously changed since then.

Verbal commands ARE and SHOULD be an automatic response for ANYONE who carrys a gun--LEO or not. I won't waste a whole lot of time explaining something to you that you do not seem open to understanding or have already made your mind up about, but there are a few reasons. Here are a couple.

1. Verbal commands just might de-escalate a situation before you actually have to pull the trigger. By most people's, and all departmental standards, that is a win.

2. Public perception plays a big part in a shooting trial. Not sure how many you have been involved in, but I have been in a couple. The VERY, and I mean VERY FIRST thing that is asked in everyone is what was said to the suspect. Failure to use verbal commands has hung more than one officer in court. No verbal commands to most laymen = execution. We all know that is not the case, but public perception, especially of the 12 people picked for your jury is what rules in our society. The ugly reality is that while the truth may sometimes set you free, perception will hang you everytime.

3. While LEO use of force and non-LEO use of force incidents have different dynamics, you damn well better bet that when you get to court, what you said or did not say immediately before shooting will be a large issue in your trial--regardless of if you have a badge or not. However if you are a LEO, it is absolutely expected that you use loud, clear, native language of the suspect verbal commands.

4. Lastly, if as you are issuing verbal commands, the situation suddenly goes to a shoot now one, then SHOOT. What did you loose by saying "DROP THE GUN?" Nothing, but after all the loud booms and the bad guy is bleeding out on the ground, if you did what you were supposed to do, then witnesses will be saying something like, "I heard him say drop the gun and then he fired."

Instead of "I dont know, I heard shots and that guy right there shot the dead guy."

You have no idea how heavily verbal commands, attempts to retreat, attempts to descalate, etc. play in the minds of those 12 people who know nothing about use of force other than what they learned from "Hollywood"

I have been to a couple of officer involved shooting seminars, panel discussions instructor classes, and workshops. In EVERY single one, it was stressed how important it was to give loud clear verbal commands, even if you were doing it as you were pulling the trigger. I can also attest from personal experience that there have been more than one bad guy who is alive today because he followed my verbal commands even though my gun was drawn, I was legally and morally cleared to fire and had made the decision to do so , but in those critical fractions of a second, he listen to my commands and as such, legally, stopped being a threat.

We are both glad they did that. One less death on my conscious and more importantly in my record jacket.

OK, I lied about taking a lot of time, but I hope you see where I am coming from on this. :)

Once again, while not always possible, verbal commands should be used when time and distance allow.

Watch this....Theese guys continue to give verbal commands even in the midst of a gun fight. That speaks not only to their training, but also to the common human desire to NOT have to shoot someone.They are almost pleading. No one can say that they did not tell him to drop the gun, that he did not know they were police, or that they did not give hium every opportunity to not get shot.

It also shows yet another example of what cops have to deal with that no other profession does.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVbCApbjBwA&feature=BF&list=QL&index=28[/ame]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom