Open Carry experience at BJ Pawn

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Mon Dieu,
    I am an old man, but, we occasionally carried .45's or .22's in our belts when we were 15 or 16 and no-one thought anything of it.
    Occasionally, someone would ask to see the pistol out of curiosity. We were also very polite to police officers and stayed way out of trouble.
    We were taught PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY by our parents and grandparents and never had any problems over weapons. We were taught to respect others and others' property and to obey all laws.
    There were the usual schoolyard fistifghts but no-one ever pulled their pocket knife or other weapon. Anyone doing so would have been ostracized by their peers.
    What has happened to our country and culture? Where has personal responsibility gone?
    The 17 year old could be a US Marine, Soldier, Sailor, or Coast Guardsman in a year or less.
    leVieux

Fisherman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    This

On the few occasions I do OC I am always careful about my actions and attitude. I know this may sound dumb to some but I even a cautious as to what I wear, no beat up jeans and t shirts. Was confronted once by the local constable, but just to ask what I was carrying. A note on that, if someone does ask you what you carry. Do not unholster your weapon to show them. That is a big no no. It is very important we represent the gun community well.

That doesn't sound dumb at all. It's a good idea. Even when not carrying, I like to look decent when I go out to let my public view my wonderful self. :rolleyes:

Aberdog1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Kansas
    I miss Wyoming..OC was not a problem and even the State Police didn't have a problem with it...OK that was 25 years ago..maybe it's not the same anymore..I digress..

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Best answer in this thread.

and its people like you that HIDE your guns, like you are ashamed of them, that that allow the oc laws and other anti gun laws to be passed.

if more people carry openly then people will be used to guns and not be frightened of them.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Those who refuse to get a permit because it is a statist plot (or whatever the current buzzword is this week), well, those guys amuse me. Going by that logic, a driver's license is a statist plot too... but they have one of those.

Whilst I agreed with everything you mentioned in the original post, I must disagree with this statement. The right to bear arms shall not be infringed. Owning and carrying a gun is a right that shall not be infringed. Driving is a PRIVILEGE afforded to an individual by the state. Come on, Man. You should know the difference.
    And no, I don't believe it to be a "statist plot", just another way for our great state gubmint to make some more dimes of its citizens.

Last edited:

turp23

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ponchatoula
    I understand your dilemma what with being too young to CC. I can't answer that part, but you have to understand that in the world we live in guns produce a negative vibe amongst the soccer moms and hipsters. When you decide to open carry, like it or not all it takes is one scared person to call the cops and they WILL take the gun off your belt and check things out. It's their job.

I don't know if the guy at BJ's was attempting to give you some advice and just had a rough delivery. But there is some truth buried in his statement. You CAN get hassled by the police for open carrying. It's part of the game. Like it or not.

+1

I do not agree with open carry, but I respect your decison to protect yourself. If LEO were to stop you, and you are a cool customer and allow them to do their job and make sure you are good to go, I would respect you even more. The minute you turn 21, get a CHP and be done with it.

Top Bottom