Open Carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • metrymike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Metairie louisiana
    i live in Metairie and since the beginning of the year within a two mile radius of where i live theres been over 50 violent crimes including 7 murders and 4 rapes. i was just wondering do yall think if i start open carrying my pistol if its a bad idea. i rarely see anyone open carrying so im afraid that a police officer will try to take it away from me or harass me because i carry .....police officers out there i do not mean any disrespect without yall things would be so much worse thank you all

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Perfect Topic .... right before the weekend too!
    popcorn.gif

Are you old enough to apply for a Concealed Handgun Permit from the State?

Riot1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2014
    Kenner, LA
    Open carry has its drawbacks.
    You have to consider situational awareness at ALL times. Think about the person behind you at the gas station and how close you are to others while standing in line. Another concern is that you stand out as a threat if something goes down and probably will be the first target. I think that the attention that you draw from Law Enforcement will be manageable. I am not against open carry but I do believe that you should have proper training before you do.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If you don't have a concealed permit, apply for it asap and open carry to hearts content until you get it. You might get some attention, but what you're doing isn't illegal.

The only way your gun is being taken away from you is if there's some legal reason you can't personally have a firearm; ie, convicted felon. That being said, New Orleans is incredibly liberal, so you can expect "extra attention" from whiners, sissies, and well... all liberals really.

This advice hand-in-hand with above reference regarding someone behind you grabbing your gun, etc. Consider it strongly.

Judge Mental

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Prairieville
    When a thug stands behind you , he can't tell what's in your wallet. May not be worth the risk / reward. When he spies a sidearm on your hip, you probably become worth the risk.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    If you choose to open carry, PLEASE at the very least get a good retention holster.

Yeah, and practice using it.

I now use Safariland ALS holsters anytime I'm carrying pistol that's in the public's view.

It's also a good idea to attach it to a sturdy belt.

JR1572

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    i live in Metairie and since the beginning of the year within a two mile radius of where i live theres been over 50 violent crimes including 7 murders and 4 rapes. i was just wondering do yall think if i start open carrying my pistol if its a bad idea. i rarely see anyone open carrying so im afraid that a police officer will try to take it away from me or harass me because i carry .....police officers out there i do not mean any disrespect without yall things would be so much worse thank you all

The casual gun owners guide to Open Carry! Enjoy!

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...estwego-on-5-23-13/page3&highlight=OPEN+CARRY

:mamoru:

metrymike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Metairie louisiana
    can you wear the gun on your front if its not covered up?Ive thought about that its on your side it would be easy for an assailant to grab . ive never actually been to any classes but ive been around guns all of my life pretty much and i have friends and family that are military and they have given me advice.. What about when you go places you dont have to take it off if the store doesnt post thats its a no gun zone?

Last edited:

Black Zulu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Works in Arizona. Was in the streets of Scottsdale when two rough looking guy came walking by on the sidewalk. Both carrying 1911's in plain view. If you thought about being stupid, they had two iron slabs ready. Pretty cool.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    the holester i have now is the one that came with the Springfield xdmc . it seems to hold the gun very well

When we say retention, we mean that there is some device that needs to be activated before the firearm is released from the holster like a button. The reason we recommend one if you choose to open carry is because it has a good chance to slow someone down if they attempt to snatch your gun from you when you aren't paying attention to them.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    ^^^and not a serpa.

Shame on you for not posting why!

Serpa holsters are retention holsters, requiring you to push a button to release the pistol. Unfortunately the button location tends to make you push your finger into the trigger guard if you draw in a hurry or under stress.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Shame on you for not posting why!

Serpa holsters are retention holsters, requiring you to push a button to release the pistol. Unfortunately the button location tends to make you push your finger into the trigger guard if you draw in a hurry or under stress.

They're also prone to locking up with the gun in the holster making it completely inaccessible and are made with shitty plastic, so the gun may stay in the holster, but the holster may leave your belt.

Top Bottom