Open Carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    @2:58 though for funnies. I had to rewind it and smirk a few times.

Maybe your training shoulda took over before you squeezed the dang trigger. just an idea.

and fwiw thats a stupid holster. I'm not doing any puzzles to retrieve my firearm.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    can you wear the gun on your front if its not covered up?Ive thought about that its on your side it would be easy for an assailant to grab . ive never actually been to any classes but ive been around guns all of my life pretty much and i have friends and family that are military and they have given me advice.. What about when you go places you dont have to take it off if the store doesnt post thats its a no gun zone?

Not sure what you mean buy "wear the gun on your front if its not covered up". Do you mean, like not on your side? If so, then yes you can, but I can't think of any good appendix holsters that would be conducive to open carrying.

You need to read up on the laws concerning carrying a firearm, but if you're on private property (i.e. in a store or restaurant) and are asked to leave, you have to leave or risk being arrested for trespassing.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have had a Serpa with the bogus Carbon fiber look I got new but cheap. Never had a problem with it at all. It always comes out and I know better than to shoot myself.
    Have always used it as a range holster for my 1911.
    I can see after owning it that many would shoot them self with one though> Be easy to do

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    They're also prone to locking up with the gun in the holster making it completely inaccessible and are made with shitty plastic, so the gun may stay in the holster, but the holster may leave your belt.

A large part of our department uses blackhawk duty holsters with the serpa retention and I haven't had or heard of anyone having a problem. I have witnessed a safariland that was ripped off a duty holster though.

MOTOR 51

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    While you may be in your rights to open carry, I personally believe being in good physical shape and acting, looking, being alert is more of a deterrent to crime than a handgun on your hip. Most criminals are lazy, and will look for easier targets. For all the others, I personally feel that surprising them with a concealed firearm is much better than going for a firearm that is known before the confrontation begins. If you do choose to open carry, know your laws, use a retention holster, and be prepared to get static from the public.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    ive read all the laws and understand . im just trying to see what people say about it from others who've been out there longer whats the best way to go about it

Mike,

I want to throw an idea out to you. You are a few years away from being 21 and you might possibly still be in school. Before you start carrying a gun on your hip every day, think about where you actually go everyday. If you are walking around a bad area of town, having a gun might be something you want to have with you. But if you can avoid walking in said bad area, that would fix that risk much easier than carrying a gun. If you are going over to friends' houses, it is likely that many are still with their parents and their parents might not want you to have a gun with you. Also, school is a no-go for guns outside of your car. What I am getting at is that it might be easier to just keep a gun in your car (stowed in a compartment, in a quick access locked box if thats your thing, or just out of view).

Also, just for us being able to give you a few more pointed suggestions, what gun are you considering open-carrying daily?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    A large part of our department uses blackhawk duty holsters with the serpa retention and I haven't had or heard of anyone having a problem. I have witnessed a safariland that was ripped off a duty holster though.

MOTOR 51

I hope you guys continue to have good luck with them. Next time you're bored see if you can't rip one off of a guy's belt, provided your department will give you a replacement.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?99676-SERPA-Issue-Compilation

metrymike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Metairie louisiana
    Mike,

I want to throw an idea out to you. You are a few years away from being 21 and you might possibly still be in school. Before you start carrying a gun on your hip every day, think about where you actually go everyday. If you are walking around a bad area of town, having a gun might be something you want to have with you. But if you can avoid walking in said bad area, that would fix that risk much easier than carrying a gun. If you are going over to friends' houses, it is likely that many are still with their parents and their parents might not want you to have a gun with you. Also, school is a no-go for guns outside of your car. What I am getting at is that it might be easier to just keep a gun in your car (stowed in a compartment, in a quick access locked box if thats your thing, or just out of view).

Also, just for us being able to give you a few more pointed suggestions, what gun are you considering open-carrying daily?
    i wouldnt be compelled to carry but after two people were murdered in broad daylight and multiple other crimes committted near by other than that i usually dont feel the need to have it .if i were walking to go get milk or bread or something from the store. so i didnt plan on always having it out there but when i feel that its really needed to be honest with you i wish i didnt feel the odds were high enough that id need to get to the gun quickly.its a Springfield xdmc my dad gave me. the whole reason i posted this was to figure out whats best to do i appreciate all the advice

Last edited:

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    If you choose to open carry, PLEASE at the very least get a good retention holster.

Yes, a level 2 (at minimum) or 3 retention holster.

When I OC it's in an ALS level 2 holster. If you don't know how they operate, to to Baton Rouge Police Supplies-they have a hands-on display of level 2 and 3 ALS Safariland Holsters.

At least with those Safariland ALS Holsters if you haven't ever practiced releasing the pistol retention device(s), a gun grabber would likely not be able to figure it out in 5 or 10 seconds. They are a pretty clever design.

Those Serpa holsters have a button out there in plain sight for all the world to see. Push it and pull out the pistol-plus these are pretty cheap/flimsy holsters in terms of how well they attach to a belt.

Situational Awareness is king if you're going to OC.

Dirty

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Yes, a level 2 (at minimum) or 3 retention holster.

When I OC it's in an ALS level 2 holster. If you don't know how they operate, to to Baton Rouge Police Supplies-they have a hands-on display of level 2 and 3 ALS Safariland Holsters.

Situational Awareness is king if you're going to OC.

Dirty

Here is a good video on the SLS.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sS7INv9GNOs

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Mike, keep in mind that no holster system is a substitute for proper weapon retention habits. You should always keep you weapon on the opposite side of where people are located. Be prepared to pivot your body so that your firearm to out of reach to others. For example, when walking down an isle it is good to keep your weapon toward the isle or wall and not close to a person. When your firearm comes close to a person, be sure to cover it with your arm and elbow. When using a water fountain, be sure to cover your firearm with your elbow. Use your week hand to do tasks more while protecting your handgun.
    Remember that open carry requires greater awareness than concealed carry. You are not carrying a flashlight or knife, so you will attract attention.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom