opinions on Ruger LCP vs Keltec 3AT vs S & W Bodyguard 380 for backup...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruger-LCP-vs-Keltec 3AT vs S&W Bodyguard 380

• Total voters

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Guys, I am looking for a backup gun for myself and my wife(We both have CCW licenses) and am looking for something in .380 that is extremely light for deep concealment, compact and thin, affordable($400 or less), but also dependable. I am aware of .380's shortfalls, but unless you know of a 9mm that fits all the qualifications I included here, lets stick with .380
    She & I have both shot my friend's Kel-Tec 3AT and to be honest, IMO, it left alot to be desired.I realize there are always tradeoffs in going smaller with your weapon and while it easily fit the light and small requirements, it did have a few FTFs and was quite snappy with a terrible trigger feel.Now before you ask, yes, it is broken in and we tried different brands and types of ammo (ball,HP, etc..) It isn't completely off the table, but I also haven't shot either of the other two, though I have two people I know who have the Ruger LCP and love it. Given the choice between these 3 pistols as a backup weapon that you would carry and depend on when you cant carry your regular EDC (I love my XD40sc) which would you choose and why? IF you've had any good or bad experiences with any of them as well as a critique youd like to add, please feel free to do so as well,Id really appreciate it. Also, this is the 1st time I try to start a thread with a poll in it and I'm not sure if itll work or not, so if it doesn't please at least give your choice in your comment so that I can add then for myself and see, thanks!
    BTW, I would say that the Sig 238 would be an option if it weren't for the metal frame/added weight and price, which kinda disqualifies it from the running(I know it is great quality wise, but we both have Bersa thunder 380s now as backups and find them too heavy) so I want to try to stick with polymer frame weapons for weight savings for this poll. However if you have any other suggestions that may have been omitted, please post them thanks!

Last edited:

TheHoneyBadger

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    Metairie
    I'd look into Walther PPS very slim lightweight flush 6rnd mag they also have 7&8 rnd mags you can find them for about
    480 new online or 550 new in shops used about 400 look @ hicok45 & nuntinfancy reviews I own one and love it. Also it's 9mm

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    Another really nice gun is the Walther PK380. It has a light trigger pull and has run flawlessly out the box since I got one for the wife.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    I bought a Kel-Tec before the Ruger was available. Mine is reliable. I don't carry it very much anymore because of the caliber. I carry a 9mm that was more than $400. I think you will be happy with either of the three you listed. Good luck with your purchases. Dave

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    Have you handled the p238. I switched from lcp to the p238 and there's not much difference in size n weight. But the p238 is a pleasure to shoot extremely accurate and has night sights. Vs the lcp having some of the worst sights and it is no fun to shoot due to the snappy recoil. I also had a few issues with the jhp in my lcp. The flattish nose of the bullet would catch the bottom of the feed ramp.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    I had a p3at and my dad still has a lcp. Both of them dissapear and have been reliable. The lcp is a bit smoother than my p3at was. If I had to choose I'd go lcp just because of the ruger warranty. The kel-tec has a lifetime warranty but only to the original owner.

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Get a Kel-tec PF-9 and forget the lousy and expensive .380
    while I would prefer the .9mm to the .380, I already have a good supply of .380 defense ammo and the size of the PF-9 is prohibitive; as I said this is for deep concealment, and with the PF-9 weighing more empty than the 3AT weighs fully loaded, plus it is nearly an inch taller and almost as much long, we need something that basically dissapears (pocket holster for me, more than likely the Flashbang holster for her)...thanks though for the suggestion, I do appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Sig P238 is 15oz. with magazine..

This.

I had a P3AT and I played with a friend's LCP. Both were too snappy for my liking. Owned a PF9 and it was worse. Your hand would sting after putting a few magazines through any and follow up shots weren't as accurate as I'd like them to be.

I ended up getting a P238 and fell in love with it. Can put over 100 rounds through it in one sitting with no sting. Followup shots are quick and accurate as the recoil is very soft. Fits in my back pocket easily using a wallet holster and I forget it's there it's so comfortable. I'm really tempted to try out the Sig P938 but need to find one to shoot before buying.

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Hmm, well it looks like alot of folks here are recommending the Sig P238. It is a good bit heavier than the Keltec or the LCP(they are nearly lighter loaded than it is empty), but I know its a quality piece. The main thing is the price on this particular one, I really didnt want to pay more than $400 for a backup. Who has the cheapest price on the Sig around here(i.e., what is the least $ youve ever seen one go for(New or Used?)

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Got mine from academy on sale for something like $430 + tax. It goes on sale regularly and they have 2 models. One with night sights (the one I got) and one with regular sights and a laser for like $30 more. The only thing that bothered me when I first got it was the plastic trigger. They sell a metal trigger you can put in it which makes it a lot sweeter to shoot but I had to get a gunsmith to install it.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_421723_-1

Factory Config:
    ijn2dpz9zff5kfpj5ymj.jpg

Current Config:
    7dx4hbitakh9zakqxrpj.jpg

antknee985

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Thibodaux
    I have a Gen2 keltec p3at that runs flawlessly. The LCP looks and feels like a "refined" P3AT. I have fired a smith and wesson bodyguard and I am not impressed.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    I have a Smith Bodyguard and I love it. It's pretty accurate and I have put about 500 rounds through it with no issues. Its light, accurate, and has a decent built in laser. You can find them for $380 pretty easily and extra mags from CNN are about $18 each.

brand0n5o4

OFFICER PLZ
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Metairie
    I own all three you listed. I HATE the keltec, it shoots reliable, but it isnt a range gun (none of them are) but the keltec kicks WAY too hard and I hate the trigger/trigger guard on it.

I love both the LCP and Bodyguard, but if i had to choose one, it would be the BG, since its almost the same size as the LCP but comes with an actual slide stop for empty mags while the LCP just has a manual slide stop, the BG also comes with the unique laser. The both hold the same amount of ammo but I enjoy the BG more.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I forget...was the OP looking for a gun to bring to the range and target shoot a hundred rounds into the X-ring while admiring the light crisp pull of a custom trigger? Hmmmmm...

;-)

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I forget...was the OP looking for a gun to bring to the range and target shoot a hundred rounds into the X-ring while admiring the light crisp pull of a custom trigger? Hmmmmm...

;-)

I forget...are you supposed to practice often with your carry weapon? Hmmmmm

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I forget...are you supposed to practice often with your carry weapon? Hmmmmm

I'd say practice often with all your weapons and most of the practice should be in the manner in which the weapon is most likely to be used.

So....IMO...
    Spend little time taking your bolt gun out and firing 200 rounds as fast as you can while launching off the X on gravel with sweaty hands.

Spend little time with your subcompact carry gun in a bench vise, sipping tea, shooting three rounds at a 50yd bullseye while critiquing the intricacies of the trigger pull.

You may not agree but I hope you get my point. ;-)

Top Bottom