Outdoor rifle ranges near BR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lizardxxx

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I need to finish sighting in my .444. I can't get anybody to answer the phone at Waddill and was wondering if anybody knows about them or any other outdoor range nearby.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Sherbourne Wildlife Management Area near Krotz Springs, about 45 mins. All you need is a valid LA hunting/fishing license or a Wild Louisiana stamp which is $5. We're going in a group next saturday

Lizardxxx

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Yah, I've been there once. $250 membership fee to use the rifle range and the range is horrible. Port Allen is an Old Man Drinking Club. Bunch of drunks hanging out in the clubhouse and nobody out actually shooting. Which was probably for the best, anyway.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    have you tried the Ascension parish Sheriffs range across the street from the Lamar-Dixon center?

from http://www.ascensionsheriff.com/
    Weapons Range Complex

In addition to the Ascension Parish Sheriff's Department, approximately twenty local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies conduct their firearms or tactical training at this site.

Use of the weapons ranges are made available to the citizens of the parish on a regular basis.

The two rifle ranges are open to the public year-round on the second and fourth Thursday of each month from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Additionally, prior to the opening of deer season each year, the range is opened for additional days so that hunters can safely sight-in their hunting rifles. All shooting during these days is conducted under the supervision of sheriff's department personnel.

For any additional information on the training center, call 225-621-8357 or fax 225-621-8359.

Lizardxxx

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Let's see...We walked in the door of the clubhouse to sign in w/ our guest passes and were offered a "cold beer before ya go shoot". We politely declined said beverage. We went over to the rifle range and waded through the trash blowing around. Finally found a place that was out of the range of the wasp nests and sighted in our rifles. Went back to the clubhouse to sign out and again declined the offer of a "couple beers for the drive home".

And I can see where my Remington Mod. 700 bolt action could well be mistaken for a "super jump-back ninja tacticool 870".

The biggest thing that soured me on your little club was all the drinking. Forgive me for not wanted to drink while I shoot or while I drive. I guess that just makes me a ***** in your eyes.

Your club may be nice. I didn't check out the skeet range at all, so I don't know **** about that part. But first impressions count the most, and mine was horrid. So have fun out there and stay safe.

Oh, and as for being an armchair commando, I was the youngest certified hunter safety instructor in the state when the program was launched, as well as the youngest certified NRA instructor for the NRA Youth program in the state, so yeah, that makes me a complete moron.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    ' Bout two years for me . It was pretty bad when I stopped by . The rifle range looked short and seemed to only have a few spaces . Lot's of target trash . Left a bad impression .

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Good to see yall kiss and make up. We dont want an LSP and a Hunter Ed instructor twisting off after a few at the club house and going tactical on one another. LOL.

That would not exactly be "setting the example" for responsible gun ownership.

cptnapalm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    "All you need is a valid LA hunting/fishing license or a Wild Louisiana stamp which is $5."

Ah, thanks for this info. Wasn't sure what that license allowed. I've now just ordered mine.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Quas, do you mean LA drivers liscence or Hunting/fishing liscence?
    I had a friend from Houston come to Sherburne w/ me, and I think the 1 day "wild" stamp was like 2.50 or 3 bucks, Not much at all for a non-resident.

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I think I'm gonna go find a place and get my DL right now. Wait, nevermind I don't have my BC with me, maybe they'll let me slide if I say I'm friends with Obama.

Jughead

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    First, let me say that it has been about 6 months since I went to the Port Allen Club as a guest so my observations may be dated. My very limited observation was that it is primarily a shotgun/skeet range and those facilities looked fine from a distance( I am not a skeet shooter). The rifle/pistol portion seemed to me to be an after thought poorly set up and facilities did not appear to get the attention the skeet part did. The time I was there there were old tables/benches and some new ones sort of scattered around. Maybe they were not placed in their final position at that time. There did not appear to be any specified shooting spots or lanes. Also, none of the shooting tables were under cover-maybe that has changed? The target support were very shot up grouped together and limited in size compared to the number of possible people that could be shooting- there were only 3 shooters there. Without bringing a large piece of cardboard Ii was hard to find a stable location to staple a target. I thought of joining but with the Sherburne range being say 30 minutes further and much prefered I have not joined or gone back. Maybe I'll swing back soon and see the present facilities. No one offered or pushed beer on me in any way.

Top Bottom