Outdoor rifle ranges near BR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    You've been there one whole time, and you deduced all of that? You're a real crackerjack investigator, aren't you? Let me guess... you pulled out your super jump-back ninja tacticool 870, and received some odd looks and a few comments? Its a trap/skeet/sporting clays club. Armchair commandos aren't exactly unwelcome; but we will talk about you...:mamoru:

Yes, there are some members who are more interested in swilling booze in the clubhouse than shooting. But there are many more of us who enjoy shotgun shooting, and do a lot of it.

The range is "horrible"? Define horrible. Its a basic rifle/pistol range; it has no more amenities, nor less, than the possum cop range at Sherburne so many members on this board go to. It has a nice cover, nice solid shooting benches, and chairs. The target line is a bit of a pain to use (set targets up on), but you cannot have everything, eh?

Ya know, I love the way all the instant experts on the net are so ready to talk out of their ass....

Whatever happened to the Walker range?
    I liked it when they weren't blowng stuff up next door.............

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Let's see...We walked in the door of the clubhouse to sign in w/ our guest passes and were offered a "cold beer before ya go shoot". We politely declined said beverage. ...... . Went back to the clubhouse to sign out and again declined the offer of a "couple beers for the drive home".

The biggest thing that soured me on your little club was all the drinking. Forgive me for not wanted to drink while I shoot or while I drive. I guess that just makes me a ***** in your eyes.

I wouldn't go so far as to say you are a *****. But I think you have either distorted or greatly exaggerated anything that took place insofar as beer being offered.

I have only been a member there for a few years. Maybe your visit pre-dates my membership. But I have never seen beer offered to a shooter signing in. Of course I've only been there a few hundred times.........maybe they are careful to do this only when I'm not around.

And what is a guest pass ? ......never seen or heard of one. Use of the rifle range requires one to either be a member or be accompanied by a member.
    Are you sure you didn't imbibe a bit before you typed/embellished your story ??

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    First, let me say that it has been about 6 months since I went to the Port Allen Club as a guest so my observations may be dated. My very limited observation was that it is primarily a shotgun/skeet range and those facilities looked fine from a distance( I am not a skeet shooter). The rifle/pistol portion seemed to me to be an after thought poorly set up and facilities did not appear to get the attention the skeet part did. The time I was there there were old tables/benches and some new ones sort of scattered around. Maybe they were not placed in their final position at that time. There did not appear to be any specified shooting spots or lanes. Also, none of the shooting tables were under cover-maybe that has changed? The target support were very shot up grouped together and limited in size compared to the number of possible people that could be shooting- there were only 3 shooters there. Without bringing a large piece of cardboard Ii was hard to find a stable location to staple a target. I thought of joining but with the Sherburne range being say 30 minutes further and much prefered I have not joined or gone back. Maybe I'll swing back soon and see the present facilities. No one offered or pushed beer on me in any way.

Rifle and pistol range is pretty basic/spartan. Of course there is a clubhouse with A/C, food, beverages, restrooms and big screen TV.

Range was improved a few months ago. New shed/cover. New shooting benches.

There are 4 "ranges."
    100 yds.
    50 yds.
    25 yds.
    7 yds.
    Each has a dirt backstop. Target frames are replaced at each as they are needed (as they get shot up by the incompetents).

Is there too much beer drinking to suit me ?? .......yes. But this is slowly being addressed ........... too much of a South Louisiana mentality in the past.
    (But the OP's story about being offered beer is still bs based on my experience.)

The club is primarily a trap and skeet club. It's probably the nicest is the state for those two sports. I shoot neither sport on a regular basis, but the other options (sporting clays, 5-stand, rifle and pistol, are quite adequate and the club is reasonably convenient to Baton Rouge.

Lizardxxx

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I know what I saw when I was there. Maybe I had a bad experience. Maybe I caught the range on an off day. That's no reason to call someone a liar. LSP972's posts had me thinking about swinging by out there and giving it another chance, but now I am fairly certain that it's not the place for me. Happy shooting.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I know what I saw when I was there. Maybe I had a bad experience. Maybe I caught the range on an off day. That's no reason to call someone a liar. LSP972's posts had me thinking about swinging by out there and giving it another chance, but now I am fairly certain that it's not the place for me. Happy shooting.

Sure hate to see that "guest pass" go to waste.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yes, I used to use the skeet and trap ranges there a lot.

Besides, for the recoil this thing has, I probably put bullets through the middle of the berm too. That's if the sonic shockwave doesn't make a hole first. :)

But only the first 5 or 6 shots I took with it didn't hit the target. Took a bit to adjust for the butt kickin' recoil.

electrode1998

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    There is a range out in the White Castle area that is much cheaper and seems like a better rifle range.

http://www.paloaltogunclub.com/

Hey we are NOT in White Castle. We are in Donaldsonville!!!!:mamoru:

I don't think the locals in WC would put up with our shooting from sun up to sun down.

Yes we have a very nice facility and membership is required to shoot. You must also be an NRA member.

electrode1998

dangermoney

C'est Chaud Peur Lot
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    Hey we are NOT in White Castle. We are in Donaldsonville!!!!:mamoru:

I don't think the locals in WC would put up with our shooting from sun up to sun down.

Yes we have a very nice facility and membership is required to shoot. You must also be an NRA member.

electrode1998

I've been looking for a private club with a good safe range to join along with my nine year old son. I'm currently an NRA member and my son will be getting a Junior membership this Christmas. I have one of your brochures and have checked out your website. Looks good. Can you give me the skinny on what it takes to join?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I've been looking for a private club with a good safe range to join along with my nine year old son. I'm currently an NRA member and my son will be getting a Junior membership this Christmas. I have one of your brochures and have checked out your website. Looks good. Can you give me the skinny on what it takes to join?

Go to website and click on the membership link. Your email will be routed to the proper person and he/she will get back to you.

Dan

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Rumor has it that Hunter's Run Gun Club has leased a good portion of that wooded area between Zachary and Baker on LA 19 to build a new facility. Actually, its not a rumor; the general manager told me that. In addition to six trap/skeet fields and a complete sporting clays walking course, the plan is for a very nice rifle/pistol range too.

He said 18 to 20 months; but I haven't seen any activity there yet, and they have a LOT of dirt work to do before they can even get started. But, man, what a dream; that's about seven minutes from here.

You might want to look into a membership at the Baker Range. It would be worth it to you, living here. Yeah, its run down, but a membership gets you access when they're normally closed. I go at least once a week, sometimes more often. At that rate, you pay for the membership fee ($240) in short order... AND you go when its convenient for you.

Your ammo consumption rate takes off, though. Good thing I reload...:D

I went to the Baker Range yesterday. What an experience that was. The couple that own it are nice but the place is a hole. The best part is that it is 15 minutes away.

Top Bottom