Palo Alto Received Significant Damage From the Storm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Palo Alto was right in the bullseye of the storm. All of the covered firing lines have lost their covers and one of the target sheds looks like it exploded. Debris is all over the range and the range is unusable until the debris is removed.

Until further notice, all matches have been cancelled. It is expected that the range will be back in operation in time for the state championship in October provided it can be cleaned up.

If anyone would like to volunteer to help clean up the range and remove debris, I would appreciate your contacting me. I will co-ordinate a work party as soon as it is feasible to get to the range. The likely date will be Saturday the 13th.

Dan

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Dan,
    I'd like to make it & help out. The only issue at this point is dealing with my damage & the damage of friends & family. The 13th might be a bit early for me. Heck, everything is weather dependent any way.

Let me know when you have the final plans to work. I have my own gloves, rake etc. If you can get a handle on what equipment is needed that would be good also.

Do you know if Honey Island sustained damage? The Plaquemines Range might have a little bit also. Then I guess Hub City got chewed up a bit.

Later,
    RDO

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    There are no current plans for what day to work at the range. As soon as I know anything I will post it. For the time being the range is closed. I may try to get out there this weekend to survey the damage. I will keep everyone informed.

Dan

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Just be advised there won't be power in that area for 4-6 weeks. I don't know if yall have a backup for the gate or however it works. I'll try and make some extra passes when patrolling to check on things. Let me know when yall go down to work too and I might be able to arrange some ice/cold drinks for yall.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Tunatuk,

Is the road in front of the range clear yet?

I know the gate works. I think it is a battery with a solar panel.

I may run up there this weekend to survey the damage.

Dan

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    All roads in Donaldsonville are clear. They were clear within I believe 2 days of the storm hitting. I'll make a pass down there in just a bit and double check though.

electrode1998

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    I figured it took a hell of a hit since the eye passed right over it. How is the clubhouse? Keep us posted on the repair trip and I will try to be there. Work is busting my tail right now since I am an electrician. I am not a lineman, but I have rebuilt ALOT of services on houses. Damn I am tired these days.

What realy sucks is there is no overtime envolved in the work since no one wants to pay that rate for their repairs. The long hours would be ok with the extra green. Oh well i'll get my frustrations out when the range is up and running again and I can go shooting.

electrode1998

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    The clubhouse is fine. They removed the generator for safekeeping. I will be there this weekend for a board meeting and to decide what needs to be done for clean-up and re-building.

The clean-up next week will be focused on the 600 yard range to get it in shape for the upcoming state championship. If there are enough bodies, other ranges can be cleaned-up at the same time. All of the volunteers so far are highpower shooters (some are not even members). I would like to get some of the guys who use the other ranges to come out. It appears that it will take less than a day to do all of the work if there is enough help.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Just drove past it tonight. Had the guys make a few passes there and it all appears "ok". Couldn't see down the ranges since it was past dark, but the roads are completely clear.

No power lines down around it, no trees down around it. And that is coming both ways (1S and 1N).

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Thanks. I will be up there Saturday morning at 10 for a meeting with the club's powers that be to decide just what we are going to build back. Will we use a steel frame or go with wood again? Do we want to use artificial turf on the 600 yd firing line? Those kinds of things.

I will keep everyone informed.

electrode1998

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Thanks for the pics and the info. I hope I can make it for a clean up or rebuild day. My wife works this weekend and I have the kids. I kind of figured that is what the place would look like. I think the eye passed right over the place. I figured we may have to check the budget to see how we rebuild our nice facility.

Can you post the pics of the Palo Alto site so members can see them?

Hopefully we have a few members with the skills to rebulid so we can keep the costs down. I am willing to help if I can work out the right day between mine and my wife's work schedule.

Talk to you later,

electrode1998
    :eek5:

Top Bottom