Pants for CCW

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am curious to know if there are any pants that are designed for CCW. I am looking for something that is a little thicker/tougher in certain areas to compensate for holster wear. I just noticed another hole in my Carrhart pants from where the kydex on my holster finally ate through. Any suggestions helps, thanks.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    < This guy wears jeans, 1 waist size up from normal to compensate, has a hybrid kydex holster, carries every time when away from house, and has yet to have any wear spots on jeans.
    I also wear the 5.11 taclite pro's. Nice pants. But not even remotely as often as jeans.
    FWIW, I find Nautica jeans has their belt loops positioned perfectly to allow carry at the 3-4-5 o'clock positions which is a plus for me, but YMMV.

pecka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    Montz
    My opinion(no CCW yet) but to more tactical you look, the more likely you would be singled out. Also, not to familiar with Kydex. Is it rough? Would tape, epoxy or sanding make a difference?

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    That's a problem with the Kydex. If that's all the wear on the pants bring them to the tailor have them fixed with some tougher fabric right there since now you know where you need it. Or switch to leather, or glue lambs wool to the kydex.

Dave

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I wear jeans every day with a Kydex holster inside the waistband at 3 oclock and have never found that it rubs a hole in any of my jeans. Been wearing the same holster for 6 years. The jeans wear out in other areas first but never over the holster. +1 on 1" bigger in the waist.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Mostly wear jeans and regular old cargo pants these days. I did wear 5.11 Covert Cargo pants for a long time though, they are great for carry and don't scream tactical. They are reinforced in all the right places, have extra belt loops for extra support, and have elastic in the wasteband in the area you'd carry a gun so you don't have to buy them oversized.

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I cant wear jeans for work. I has to be khaki pants, I am going to look into adding a patch or something in there for extra supports, and look at the 5.11 pants to be purchased in the next few weeks.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I like what I call my "fat man pants". :D Regular pants with elastic bands/inserts in each side. Get your regular size. Wear a gun IWB, the elastic is forgiving. No IWB, pants fit like they would normally. Best of both worlds, IMO.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    A spread from American Eagle or Levi jeans to proper slacks with a sports jacket (I carry owb then) to khakis, or Carhart carpenter pants. I hate cargo pants. I hate thigh/knee pockets. Most annoying baggage ever. I wear cargo shorts at times, or khaki shorts, but I rarely wear shorts anymore.

You don't need to wear special pants, imo. I don't think you would have to worry about holster wear. I don't know, I've been carrying every day for a few years, and I haven't noticed anything. Typically the pants themselves wear out before the holster shows anything on them.

Last edited:

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A spread from American Eagle or Levi jeans to proper slacks with a sports jacket (I carry owb then) to khakis, or Carhart carpenter pants. I hate cargo pants. I hate thigh/knee pockets. Most annoying baggage ever. I wear cargo shorts at times, or khaki shorts, but I rarely wear shorts anymore.

You don't need to wear special pants, imo. I don't think you would have to worry about holster wear. I don't know, I've been carrying every day for a few years, and I haven't noticed anything. Typically the pants themselves wear out before the holster shows anything on them.

I agree, not a fan of the cargo types. I really just need something I can wear to work. It's pretty casual, khaki pants of my liking and there polo shirt. I love the carharrt's but am disappointed in the blowout right above my pocket where the Kydex ate through. I am going to patch it up for now and either switch to a new holster or find something with a little more reinforcement in that area.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Now that you mention it, I wear tuckable holsters, and I have had one blowout like you describe. It was in a shirt though. It was some Carhart or Wolverine button up shirt from Academy I had our company logo embroidered on. There's a little triangle of a tear, like two lines at a right angle, about 3/4" each. That's from when I was wearing the Comp Tac Minotaur holster. Now I'm wearing a full kydex Raven Concealment holster. My nylon or poly blend polos all hold up 100% perfect though, even after 3-5 years wearing them. I got some of the Magellan polo shirts from Academy to put our company logo on and those hold up great.

For pants, I imagine jeans would work the best for resilience, but I don't know if any of my khakis have been better or worse than others, so far.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have found that nice dress pants tear or get roughed up pretty quickly with a knife clipped on a pocket - I haven't tried with a pistol yet as I don't have my CHL yet, but I assume it would eat them too. Where would y'all carry if you have to have a shirt tucked in with a button up dress shirt and slacks? Also assuming the gun couldn't show at all.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Last edited:

zbaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    +1 on the Fat Man Pants! I only wear slacks with elastic in the sides now. Lets them stretch that extra bit you need when carrying and be normal when not carrying.

Top Bottom