Passport requirement at La airports

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    I figured it had to be out there. We've heard rumbling at work about it but I hadn't seen any articles. The thread reminded me to look and sure as heck it is accurate. This sucks. My wife won't be able to fly, but we usually drive anyway. I hate the process of security, especially in ATL.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    So I read the news article and it sounds pretty speculative. It's just a bunch of local elected representives claiming you will need a passport. There are no actual statements made by the TSA or any other official authority. I highly doubt that a passport would be the only thing that could get you through an airport or federal building. There are many people who can't even get a passport because of trouble they are in.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    So I read the news article and it sounds pretty speculative. It's just a bunch of local elected representives claiming you will need a passport. There are no actual statements made by the TSA or any other official authority. I highly doubt that a passport would be the only thing that could get you through an airport or federal building. There are many people who can't even get a passport because of trouble they are in.

The issue appears to be that a state drivers license must comply with federal Real ID standards to be accepted as sufficient ID by DHS. Secretary Napolitano has issued waivers annually for the last few years allowing the use of non-compliant state's DLs (ie La). January 2013 is the next deadline. I'm not sure where the passport issue comes in. The DHS page linked in post 12 lists several acceptable forms of ID. A passport is at the top of the list. People may be picking that off as the most likely form for everyone to get if their state DL becomes unacceptable.

Here's a link to a story from Jan '12. I can't vouch for the site, it looks legit enough.
    http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20120131-real-id-deadlines-looms

No matter the document, its pretty clear this is not tin foil territory. The feds are going to ram RealID or something similar down our throats. Papers Comrade?

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Just to be a jerk these days when I fly I start by giving them my hunting license, then I give them my TWIC, them I give them a really old expired drivers license with a picture that doesn't even look like me anymore.

After all that do I hand over my passport. I find it amusing and I hate those bastards.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I flew a lot this year. I went through TSA security probably 40 times. I didn't have a single problem and found the agents to be friendly. Several wanted to chat about my camera gear and one I spent a good 30 minutes with just talking cameras. I wasn't in a hurry and the airport wasn't busy so we just hung out and talked.

The only time I got mad was when I had to throw away my coffee only to buy another cup 10 yards away on the other side of the checkpoint. But rules are rules and I can't blame the agent for that.

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight.

Oct 4, 2012 –We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won't be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone's identity, like using publicly available databases.

Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane.

Acceptable IDs include:

U.S. passport
    U.S. passport card
    DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
    U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DOD civilians)
    Permanent Resident Card
    Border Crossing Card
    DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
    Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
    Native American Tribal Photo ID
    An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
    A foreign government-issued passport
    Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
    Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
    Non-US/Canadian citizens are not required to carry their passports if they have documents issued by the U.S. government such as Permanent Resident Cards. Those who do not should be carrying their passports while visiting the U.S.
    This standardization of the list of accepted documents better aligns TSA with other DHS components, including Customs and Border Protection, and REAL ID benchmarks.

Top Bottom