Penalty for driving a motorcycle without the endorsement?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Who told you that the Harley class did not count? Does it not meet Motorcycle Safety Foundation standards anymore? It used to, unless something changed. The state class is the way to go, I've never heard anyone say that they aren't better for having taken it.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The Harley class does not count for the written test. It only takes the place of the practical. The LSP course bypasses both and they provide you with a bike, if you don't have your own.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Technically, it's the same as driving a car without a license, you can be ticketed and bike towed; but If you break no other laws who knows you don't have one. As for the driving test they stand in parking lot and watch you go around the block, use turn signals and put your foot down when you stop. I think now you have to complete a riding course to get the endorsement, the Harley shops usually teach a class.

They just stood outside the building and watched me drive around in the parking lot. Just circled the outsideof the lot, never got on a real highway and yes, I drove the bike there , but they didn't ask me about that!
    Just drive very carefully, obey all the laws and you should be fine going to DMV.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Well when I went to get my endorsement in Acadia parish where I'm from originally I hauled it there because I thought "it would be illegal to drive it there, right?" Well I pass the written test and the DMV employee asks "did you drive your bike here?" and I say "no I hauled it" she sighed and said "if you would have told me you drove it here we wouldn't have had to do the driving portion." I scratched my head and thought about how ass backwards that was. So to be honest, driving the bike to the DMV shouldn't be a problem. If you were to get pulled over on the way the officer might not give you a violation if you explain you are on your way to the DMV, but no guarantees I guess.
    I road a friends bike to DMV way back when since mine was on order.
    did the est and guy asked did you ride it here? I sad yes he said ride a circle around the lot so i can see that ya did and no one sle drove it her for ya. I did he says ya passed.
    The truck one was the one that was the hard one to do on paper.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    You will be ticketed but your bike shouldn't be towed for no endorsement. You should be allowed to call someone with an endorsement to come pick it up.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    You will be ticketed but your bike shouldn't be towed for no endorsement. You should be allowed to call someone with an endorsement to come pick it up.

That's not a rule and is simply not always the case. Sometimes it's towed due to departments not having manpower to sit and wait for someone to come get the motorcycle. Please don't give him false information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Didn't give him false information. I said it shouldn't be towed. If he can get someone there within 30 minutes or so, he should be allowed to have someone pick it up. It would take that long to get a wrecker there.

willyd6869

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Uptown NOLA
    I rode almost daily for six years without a motorcycle endorsement. I was never pulled over during that time however. If you're not driving like a jack-ass, I feel that police rarely will pull over bikes. I have even been waved through multiple dwi check points and brake tag/insurance check points. This has just been my experience, you may be the guy to get the book thrown at him. you never know. Having now gotten my endorsment, it is nice piece of mind.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I have a cousin that's been driving his motorcycle for over a year without an endorsement and without the court ordered interlock system installed. He doesn't drive like a fool and no longer drinks and drives that I know of. Hasn't been pulled over yet.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I never had an inspection, that doesn't make it advisable or a good idea. BRPD never let me through a checkpoint and I got stopped once for speeding, I just got lucky and nobody ever checked. Not as big of a problem as not having insurance, though.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I never had an inspection, that doesn't make it advisable or a good idea. BRPD never let me through a checkpoint and I got stopped once for speeding, I just got lucky and nobody ever checked. Not as big of a problem as not having insurance, though.

I think many riders have paid for the no inspection ticket if they ever get one by how much they have saved by not getting the sticker. I was surprised when I moved here that you are not required to display the sticker.

Moondew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    BR
    In LA as in every other state there is a motorcycle (license) endorsement requirement. As has been stated riding without one is just the same as driving w/o a drivers license.
    Here by law an insurance company is not supposed to issue a policy to an unlicensed rider though many will tell you some specific period of time like 30 or so will be allowed for the policy holder to get properly iicensed or the policy may be cancelled.
    An inspection sticker is also required just like any other vehicle (It's easy if you are licensed, and here you can get a 2 year sticker).

Wait times at OMV offices??? Try a different one.

Courses here are not mandatory like some many states but they can't hurt to be educated, just look at the stats of riders who "fail to negotiate curves" or don't know how to use their brakes and crash when it could be avoided.
    The state course (graduates) by law gets to "bypass" all testing and it certainly makes it easy to get licensed. Insurance discounts vary by company but some can easily save money as well as learn something that might keep their "carcass" off the pavement.
    Harley or other private companies must meet the requirements as a third party tester in order for their grads to get a riding test exemption. I only know of one currently (in Alexandria).

State course info:
    www.lsp.org/motorcycle.html
    There are 10 training sites statewide and space available seems to vary by location.

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Bogalusa OMV used to be the go to place for us. I think one of the employees retired. The recent reports I've heard are not encouraging. I suggest you call them
    (985) 795-1015
    Do you have insurance for it yet? Inspection sticker might be required........there is some confusion with that on my part. Can't get a sticker without the M and can't get the M without insurance. Ask about that when you call.
    What bike did you get?

I am just patiently waiting for the Covington office. My road test is August 26. The bike is in the shop for a week getting checked out and oil changed and all. It's a 1985 Honda Shadow I paid $1000 for with something like 14k miles on it. The seller got an inspection sticker for it the day he sold it to me and I have insurance on it (just went online and kind of lied about having the endorsement, they didn't ask me to fax proof in soooooo).

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Don't wreck it before you get your endorsement. Lying on an application gives the insurance company cause to refuse a claim.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I am just patiently waiting for the Covington office. My road test is August 26. The bike is in the shop for a week getting checked out and oil changed and all. It's a 1985 Honda Shadow I paid $1000 for with something like 14k miles on it. The seller got an inspection sticker for it the day he sold it to me and I have insurance on it (just went online and kind of lied about having the endorsement, they didn't ask me to fax proof in soooooo).

State law says you have (I believe) 90 days to provide proof of endorsement to the insurance company.

I just picked up a 2006 Honda Shadow with 10k for $2000. Had to go through the carbs as it was running a little rough, but after cleaning the carbs and jets its running perfectly.

EDIT: Found it:

https://legis.la.gov/Legis/law.aspx?d=508147

§1283. Proof of motorcycle endorsement
    A. Each person who makes an application for issuance of a policy of insurance covering a motorcycle shall provide proof of the appropriate license endorsement required by R.S. 32:408(C). Such proof shall be provided to the insurer or its producer within ninety days of application for such policy. If the policy of insurance is issued by an insurer that does not maintain an office in this state, then the person may submit a sworn affidavit that he has the proper license endorsement to the insurer.
    B. In the case of an initial application for the endorsement, the insurer may issue a policy not to extend more than ninety days.
    C. In addition to any other applicable penalties, anyone in violation of this Section shall be subject to a fine of no more than five hundred dollars.
    Acts 2004, No. 378, §1; Redesignated from R.S. 22:622.3 by Acts 2008, No. 415, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 2009; Acts 2010, No. 703, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 2011; Acts 2013, No. 101, §1.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Your insurance will probably check your DL status and see that you don't have the endorsement sooner or later and send you a letter telling you to get one or they will drop you.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Just to update the thread, got the endorsement this morning. She basically did a brake tag check first (blinkers/horn/brake light/etc) then had me back out the parking spot, drive down past west marine, turn around, and come park it again. I did it no problem using blinkers and all and she wasn't even paying attention :rofl: When I parked the bike she said okay you didn't fall down so you passed. Glad I had to wait a month for that but now I'm legal :D

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    It's stupid to have a motorcycle "endorsement." I don't know why we need it. I don't see anyone needing a scooter "endorsement."

My buddy just rode his bike to the DMV and did everything there. The lady asked him why he needed to do a road test, considering he just rode the bike there... He said she didn't even answer him and just kept going about her business.

IMO, the DMV and all their bull, is... well... bull!

Edit -

Sorry about the rant, but IIRC, you don't have to take the riding test if you took a riding course.

That's pretty much how I did it.
    Though I rode it for a couple years without an endorsement.
    Rode it there, did the written, went outside for the practical, which was nothing more than riding it out the parking lot, across the street, around a dumpster, and back.
    It's an idiotic catch 22...
    All the headache for the "M".
    Years later, i decided to take a Motorcycle Safety course at LSUS, and learned more than I expected.
    They pretty much said, read the green book, take the test, then forget the green book...
    If you take the MSF, you don't have to take the practical test at the DMV.
    Just give them the certificate of completion, and you're good to go.
    Then call your insurance, and let them know you took the riders course, and they'll apply a discount to your MC policy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tstevens42
    Top Bottom