Petition To Bring Federal Charges Against NOLA Mayor Mitch Landreau

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I believe we need to get back to the original post of this thread and not thread jack it to other discussions, dont you think? How about you all create your own thread to disscuss your opinions? :confused:

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    No, you worded your thoughts just fine. What started as a response to your post turned into a more general commentary, and I shouldn't have left the citation in (suggesting that I was responding directly to you). I'm sorry for that.

I guess a lot hinges on what how "We the people" is defined. I find it a bit ironic that a constitutional framework built on the idea of inherent, God-given rights (at least, after the Bill of Rights was passed) could exclude certain people based on skin color. But I suspect Thurgood Marshal would disagree with me on that; he wasn't shy about his belief that the Constitution was a pretty defective document.

In terms of the tail wagging the dog, I'm going back to the idea that the Civil War wasn't actually about slavery, but rather that it was about states rights, and that slavery was just a small part of that. That, in my opinion, is the tail wagging the dog. States rights, in my opinion, was just a way of defending slavery. In my mind, slavery was the dog and states rights was the tail

I can't claim to know what Lincoln intended, but I do generally believe that it wasn't Lincoln's intention to go to war. I think it's a fascinating question, though, given the way the state militias operated in the 19th century.

I believe a lot of the ire came from the push for northern states to enforce the various fugitive slave acts. Slavery in the South was one thing; forcing people to the north to treat escaped slaves as chattel presented an entirely different legal challenge that wasn't going to be reconciled easily.

I believe your assumption is entirely correct, and that's why I used the example of the fugitive slave act above. It was one more way that allowing part of the country to have slavery was simply unworkable. And slaves were most definitely treated as investments; it's one of the odd ways that slave owners justified slavery as some sort of moral good (the logic went something like this: since slaves were expensive investments, slave owners had strong economic motives to provide for their well-being. Free blacks, on the other hand, had nobody to watch out for them. It's perverted logic, to say the least, but that was one of the moral justifications for slavery.)

Interestingly, the North stood to lose a lot from the fall of slavery as well. The ports of New York and Boston (and many others) made huge volumes of money by shipping raw materials that were brought in from the South; one reason why the rail corridors became so vital. The north was also not particularly excited about the prospect of a deluge of recently freed slaves moving into their states.

Mike

So if both sides stood to lose so much from the abolishment of slavery why the push so hard to accomplish that goal? It would seem more reasonable to push for legislations that would require slave owners to treat their slaves less as property and more like people. It sounds like that would've been a much more lucrative proposition for both sides, the south could've kept it's labor force in the north could keep profiting from exports from the south without the influx of newly freed slaves to worry about. Are you aware of anybody at the time that was recommending measures like that? Or perhaps the fighting began before anybody could make those kinds of recommendations? Thanks for your replies, I am admittedly ignorant of many details you seem to know about the war.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom